Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • That 650b thing… while waiting for cotic rocket
  • gaz552
    Free Member

So while I’m waiting on the next delivery of orange cotic rockets to arrive and contemplating what components to go with, I’ve been reading an awful lot of 650b articles/reviews. And I hate to say it but I am coming round to the idea a bit.
    Especially as bikes like the Norco Sight Killer B & Santa Cruz Bronson aren’t actually as expensive as I thought (rocket frame is £1500, Bronson frame is £1700).
    But something I did notice is that while they appear to be very good bikes the reviews don’t mention anything about them feeling alive, being ‘poppy’ etc.
    Is this one of the trade offs for the slightly bigger wheel size?
    If so then I really can’t see it easily surplanting the 26er. I decided on the rocket as it is a lively, playful ride which is what I’m after.

I actually had dismissed 650b until a friend was talking about it, the SC Bronson came up and I noticed the frame is actually a lot cheaper than I thought. (Still not cheap mind)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can honestly say that my tracer 275 leaps forward and often upwards on anything downhill. Every bump its airborne. Every corner comes too fast and is accompanied by scrabbling tyres, wheels pointing in different directions, and clouds of dust and volleys of rocks. I don’t know how I’m getting away with it. Actually I do: it’s a fabulous bike.

slackalice
    Free Member

In my experience with my PYGA OneTwenty, I can echo Buzz’s comments above.

Except I think I might be in a little more control in and around the corners 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fizzicist
    Free Member

Just shove mahoosive tyres on your Rocket. My Soul feels a different bike with Bonty Big Earl/XR4s compared to Nobby Nics.

Measured the Bike end to end and there’s about an inch difference with the bigger tyres on.

gaz552
    Free Member

That’s good to hear. As I said it doesn’t seem to be something people talk about regarding 650b’s.
    Unfortunately your comments do make me second guess myself a bit regarding a rocket…
    (The joys of being in limbo/waiting for stock) lol

Rik
    Free Member

Because ‘poppy’ is a made up term invented with the rocket. Put a firm tune on any 150mm bike and it will feel the same.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t fret. As the owner of a 140mm 29er AM bike I can positively and absolutely say that larger wheel sizes do not make a bike good or bad on their own. I really notice the benefits of the larger wheel when climbing, especially technical climbs and through squidgy soft ground, and this bears out when comparing myself to my 26er riding buddies, and confirmed by a riding buddy who is a recent 29er convert. But that is the only really noticeable benefit. On downhill runs I notice no real benefit – or drawback, its a hoot to ride just as much as any similar 26er bike. I can’t imagine that with the wheel size difference between 650b and 26er being so small that you’d notice any difference at all. The Rocket is a brill bike and wouldn’t be much different with 650b wheels.

My 29er is plenty poppy though, but i’m sure you will not be disappointed with your Rocket. I was all ready to hit the button on a Rocket, but decided to go for my bike in the end. I’ve no regrets but would love to give a Rocket a go.

gaz552
    Free Member

@Rik well yes ‘poppy’ is but there are other words and phrases describing a bike that feels alive, flickable and not a trail deadening.

gaz552
    Free Member

@wobbliscott it’s just the waiting that killing me. That and what forks to use. RS Rev’s seem to be flexy as are Fox 32’s, Fox 34’s are stupidly expensive and don’t sit high enough in their stroke and need serviced very frequently (varied opinions on this point).
    X-Fusion Slant’s seem extremely tempting, next model up vengeance are back up in the £700 range again… Argh…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

having tried one, it offers a tiny amount of extra zip along compared to 26, it also has a tiny amount more sluggishness to get going out of tight corners or on technical climbs. Yep it’s practically the same with a new number.
    I’ll post this again mostly as you mentioned the Bronson

I think on the consumer side there is a desire for some sort of better mousetrap/magic bullet – a wheel size between 26? and 29? that will combine all the positive attributes of both into one bike that will do everything. That desire is a bit naive, but people go down that road all the time.

Mike Ferrentino, Santa Cruz Bike – They reckons it makes bugger all difference

Northwind

Rik – Member

Because ‘poppy’ is a made up term invented with the rocket. Put a firm tune on any 150mm bike and it will feel the same.

Eh. Going to disagree on both counts tbh. People have talked about “pop” for years, Rocket not the first nor the last frame to talk about it. And it’s not all about shock tune either- my Hemlock’s a ground-hugger, unless you firm it up so much that the suspension isn’t really working, my Herb was too.

nickhart
    Free Member

A friend has a rocket and while trying to follow him a few weeks ago I questioned wheel size and pop and stuff you’ve mentioned. I thought I could do with an advantage and a wheel size conversation started. His response was interesting and quite salient, he said he was no where near the limit of what the rocket could do and so he could improve his ability before looking a bigger wheels!
    That is where I am, my ability can improve as can my fitness, or I could spend a shed load of money on a plastic fantastic something or other and hope that I feel the benefit.
    The rocket is a lovely looking bike and is something I want to test this summer. For the op’s info my mate has just put lyriks on his having had revelations on, he was bloody quick with the revs I’d hate to see how fast he is now!
    Patience tiger, it’ll be rewarded.

Paceman
    Free Member

Post purchase angst that’s all… will be quickly forgotten after a few rides on your new Rocket 😀

I’ve not ridden a 650b, but i’ve tried quite a few 29ers and loads of 26ers over the years, some have that ‘poppy’ feeling others not but I don’t think thats down to wheel size.

ska-49
    Free Member

I sold my Charge Blender a few years ago but I used it for everything hooligan. Use to ride 4x track, pump track, street, park and some DH stuff. I sold it to get a 29er for XC. No where near as playful and really missed how easy the blender was to chuck around. Recently bought a 650b explosif. Best bike I’ve owned to date! I’m back to playing more but equally I can ride 50 milers. Perfect for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe some of the new RS Pikes?.

I’m waiting for a Rocket as well, Hopefully should be next month.

gaz552
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge – Yeah, I do really like the sound of the pikes, but the price is putting them outside of my ‘can I justify the cost’ range. I like the sound of the new RS Monarch shock too, which could be very nice on a rocket.

ganders
    Free Member

Just get the Rocket. I’ve had lots of long travel bikes, Giant Reign, Norco, Spec Enduro, El Guapo. They are all ground huggers, soak everything up bikes. I to was looking at the Bronson, but tried it and just did not have that…… zing, pop, feisty playfulness of the rocket, so thats what I bought. It’s not light, and i do not think it is a great climber, but i do enjoy every single ride on it.

wl
    Free Member

The only folk I know who’ve ridden 650b quite a bit (and who don’t have a vested interest in favouritism either way) say that there’s barely any difference from 26″ unless you’re into enduro racing. 650b very marginally quicker, but 26″ simply more ‘fun’, is their verdict – and they’re both great all-round riders. They don’t define ‘fun’, but I can imagine what they’re on about. Guess you just need to work out your priority.

chakaping
    Free Member

don’t get your head turned by the hype

presumably you’ve tried the rocket and love it?

so why spend £200 more on a frame from a notoriously overpriced company which admits it only went 650b for the money?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘That 650b thing… while waiting for cotic rocket’ is closed to new replies.