Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • That 50 Quid DX bike update
  • easygirl

just took delivery of my light, after reading trouts review i dismantled the case, and good news
    The screw holding the mount on was the correct length
    there was thermal paste between the body and the lens, and the heatsink
    no signs of any swarf inside the body or board
    so it looks like they have read reviews and improved them

trout
    Free Member

Bastids that QC must be really eating into their profit margins

Yeah there has been a few reports on them doing the mods .

Still hate them though

easygirl

i hate them for doing them so good so cheap
    i also love them for the same reason
    im torn!!
    Why can we still not make most things ourselves in the u.k, i was brought up making things, anything, but nowadays people dont seem interested in making things, just buying them
    if you know what i mean

saladdodger
    Free Member

to quote my lasses old pa in the 1970's

we will become a nation of shopkeepers with no industry

wise old bugger shame I never met him

DaveGr
    Free Member

You'll single handed bring down the UK manufacturing industry buying the Bastid light !!!!!

Only joking btw.

easygirl

we have as a country brought down our manufacturing industry by buying cheap goods from asia, now they have us in a stranglehold and are increasing prices

trout
    Free Member

blame the do gooders and health and safety
    and the fact that the bean counters now own ( Great Britain ) and they are not even British bean counters

easygirl

**** it , ive binned the dx light, and bought a £200 hope one thats not as bright

DaveGr
    Free Member

Cool, you can now run both. One on the bars, other on the helmet and report on the reliability and light output over time.

knott4me
    Free Member

a link to this said light please.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Crickey !, and I thought I was the only one tutting over how loads of people in the UK buy Chinese goods. But then again, its difficult not to these days…….

Yes, comparitively little manufacturing in the UK now. We've priced ourselves out of the market.

The Chinese factory worker is cheaper to employ than his UK equivalent.

His house doesn't cost £180K, he doesn't pay £2k a year council tax, etc, etc, so the Chinese factory workers' wage demand is very much lower than a UK worker.
    Comparitively, the Chinese work for peanuts and therefore lots of western manufs move their factories to the far-east, and lots of people in the UK end up claiming JSA.

Thanks Tony, thanks Gordon. You put your eggs all in the basket labelled "financial services" and let UK manufacturing slide into the sea.
    Now the bankers have torn a new backside into the UK, AND stick two fingers up at whomever wants to cut their bonuses, they threaten Alistair with "if you mess with our bonuses, we leave the UK, and seeing as you rely so heavily on the tax take from the City, you'll lose loads of revenue. So go away and lets us bankers keep screwing the pooch".

If the cost to live in the UK wasn't so stupidly high, then I suggest that wage demands wouldn't be so high also, and companies would still be able to manufacture here in the UK.

And before anyone even bothers to read and reply, this isn't a dig at the Chinese, they are doing only what they can to "get the work", which in todays world means, whomever can do it CHEAPEST, gets the job !.
    We are witnessing the race to the bottom. And as has been suggested in the posts by others here, its the flipping bean-counters that are leading the way.

CC.

mrmo
    Free Member

To hijack the thread further, The problem is not only that the chinese can make things cheaper, but often British has meant crap quality. Can anyone honestly say that british cars of the 70's, 80's and 90's were as good as the competition?

Yes we are fecked, but we are also to blame because of the crap that was manufactured when we still made stuff. This is not to say that british always means crap, far from it.

easygirl

britain has some of the finest engineers in the world
    and as shwn by nissan factories in the north east can make quality products, so dont knock our workforce,
    comparing factories in the 70s to now is not a fair comparison

duckers
    Free Member

Most of our highly skilled engineers left years ago to build oil plants in the middle east and chemical plants in china.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

EasyGirl, Duckers.

I think you both have a point. I am a British Engineer, so obviously agree with EG's comments, ta, 😉

The problem is, imo, that the cost of living on the UK has become so high, that this has driven the wage demand by that factory worker in that Sunderland Nissan production plant, for example. Which is a higher wage demand than that of their Chinese opposite number.

Obviously this isn't entirely their fault. But as long as the mass consuming UK public keep stepping over UK produced stuff, to buy far-eastern imports, "cos its cheaper", then our home-work force are under threat of being wiped out.

CC.

mrmo
    Free Member

easygirl, i may not be a fair comparison, and as i said Britain does make some very good stuff, but memories are long and a lot of what has been made in the past has been crap.

Another issue is short term-ism, whether the QA problems are because of or have led to… there is never enough thought given to tomorrow, little R&D little Cap-Ex, no training etc.

Vortexracing

there is never enough thought given to tomorrow, little R&D little Cap-Ex, no training etc.

R&D is easy pickings if all you do is look at numbers all day.

The problem with investment is that it costs money!

thats the bloody problem, the accountants are running the show.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, manufacturing based economies are doing realy well right now, just look at Germany……………… Lots of lovely stuff being made, but no one to export it to. Its easy to say Britains crap and give a whole host of reasons, but TBH nowhere else is doing any better right now.

Germany- big secondary industry, lots of export, but all the money gets saved, not spent on German (or other) stuff, and as a result they'r on their knees right now. Kinda the opposite to us (we can buy lots of stuff to keep the economy afloat, but don't make much).

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

VR.

"thats the bloody problem, the accountants are running the show.".

you are sooo right !.

TinaS. I think you may have missed that Germany and France are comming out of recession quite strongly.

Germany because they make stuff and people do buy it, like their cars for example.

France because they just seem to spend and stick two finger up at the EU commision when they are told-off for exceeding the budget deficit targets.

imo.

CC.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘That 50 Quid DX bike update’ is closed to new replies.