Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • thanks to the f***wit who was running the FoD uplift earlier
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just to say thanks to the inconsiderate **** of a driver who tried to run some potential and EX clients off the road, it was much appreciated you arrogant p****

haggis1978

Phone and complain dude. Cant be that hard to track him down.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Sounds like the bloke from forest of dean caravans has found a new job then

iolo
    Free Member

Did you speak to him at the time explaining your dis pleasure?
    Or are you just shouting here as he can’t respond to your complaint and as such make you look like the big guy?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member
    somouk
    Free Member

As above, did you say anything at the time?

mrmo
    Free Member

no opportunity to say anything, was out with the roadies, he overtook beeping and then cut in aggressively, big trailer full of DH bikes so not hard to guess who he was!

somouk
    Free Member

Were you riding two abreast or doing anything to make it hard for him to pass?

Two sides to every story and all that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loving the haterz!

mrmo
    Free Member

If you know the road, single or two abreast overtaking isn’t safe, particularly when there is on coming traffic. for the record two abreast but when there are 10 of us.

somouk, are you suggesting beeping and pulling in is ever acceptable? regardless of the situation?

iolo, as this is meant to be one of the most popular MTB websites i felt this the most appropriate means of telling him he was a p****.

somouk
    Free Member

somouk, are you suggesting beeping and pulling in is ever acceptable? regardless of the situation?

Not at all, as I said in my other post, just asking for the other side of the story as your first post wasn’t overly informative.

If the road’s not safe to overtake on then you should make a complaint to his boss. Wouldn’t have looked good if he’d wiped out a bunch of roadies when working for a bike shop.

plus-one

The old two abreast wheeled out !!!!! C’mon mate it’s legal to do two abreast unless on narrow roads but yes if I’m out with club mates etc we do single up when we can . If you can’t safely negotiate a group of cyclists two abreast or not without aggressive driving you shouldn’t be on the roads !!!

iolo
    Free Member

I merely thought if you knew this was the uplift truck all you had to do was sit on the side of the road and wait for him to pass either going up with bikes or down empty. You could have stood in the middle of the road for him to stop.
    This would enable you to have a conversation regarding his irresponsible road actions.
    I’m not a hater and if the driver was a prat he should know. I just feel keyboard warriors swear in the way the original post is not the way forward.

xiphon
    Free Member

There are THREE sides to every story.

Yours.

Theirs.

And the actual truth.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Never any situation where aggression is warranted on the road just endangers life whatever the rights or wrongs. Stupid behaviour

abductee
    Free Member

You could have stood in the middle of the road for him to stop run over you.

andyl
    Free Member

but when there are 10 of us

In a single group, riding 2 abreast, so 5 bikes in a row with say 1 bike gap making a 9 bike long stream of bikes riding 2 abreast on a public road when there is not a sanctioned event on. I can see why he may have been unhappy.

But that does not excuse any dangerous actions on his part. Inconsiderate road users are an annoyance. Dangerous ones unacceptable.

Although if the road really was not suitable to be passing on, and remember he probably drives up it a lot so has less feeling of risk when overtaking (which can be bad), then I am all for slower road users using blocking tactics to keep themselves safe. Unfortunately the people they are having to act against don’t normally see it that way.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Are you most upset about the incident or the fact it was your clients, just curious like.

singlespeedstu

Are you sure he was from the FoD?
    Did you get close enough to see his six toed feet?

mrmo
    Free Member

Are you most upset about the incident or the fact it was your clients, just curious like.

No what f***s me off is that someone who i guess has some interest in bikes, would do something that dangerous, firstly oncoming cars, secondly a group of cyclists.

Fact we are reasonably local and some of the group have been known to use the uplift. Just strikes me as stupidity.

iolo
    Free Member

So what will you do to ensure it won’t happen again?
    I suggest you talk to the driver.
    If you ride in groups of 10 I’m sure he’ll listen.
    I just suggest you don’t use the language you seem to love. Swearing get’s you nowhere.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Downhillers who do uplifts are known to be chav thugs, it’s no wonder the obviously homosexual roadies on their 5k carbon bikes wearing spandex to show their micro-penis’s to each other caused a bit of consternation.
    😉

amt27
    Free Member

interesting thread,

if you do meet them and have a moan face to face, could you ask them to pick all the litter up at the top of the downhill runs, that their customers leave

FOG

Why do bikes riding two abreast get abuse but fatrzed horses riding two abreast, taking up more room seem immune? Probably because it’s usually girls riding horses and grown men should know better!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with riding two abreast, far safer so long as the drivers aren’t gonna drive like that. And it’s got nothing to do with whether there is a sanctioned event on or not!

psling
    Free Member

I’m surprised mrmo. The regular driver is local and helps run the DTV (Dean Trail Volunteers) who help build and maintain the mtb trails.
    There may have been two vans on today; I saw two as I was riding from Monmouth direction this morning. You also get similar rigs (minibus and trailer) in the area from schools, youth groups, activity companies, etc.. Was it definitely FlyUp?
    Which road were you on? Cannop to Mireystock or the A4136 Monmouth road? Just being curious really.

superfli
    Free Member

Might be legal and might well be nothing “wrong” with riding 2 abreast, but ALWAYS go single file when a car approaches. Being on the right side of the law isnt going to help much in a hospital bed.
    Of course, it doesnt excuse bad driving.

psling
    Free Member

So superfli, on a road where it is necessary to cross the white lines to pass a cyclist is it safer for 6 riders to ride tightly as 3 pairs or for the 6 riders to be strung out in single file? If you were driving and needed to pass, which grouping would make things easier for you? Just being curious really as you’ve just TOLD all of us to ALWAYS ride single file and I’m assuming you must therefore be some kind of expert.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I have seen that many times someone driving the Transit back with empty trailer like a complete idiot.

mattbee

Maybe he was trying to get past as he had to deliver handbags to some of the posters on this thread?

kilo

there is not a sanctioned event

It was a sanctioned event, it’s an event called using the public highway in accordance with the highway code.

psling
    Free Member

8) (@ mattbee)

mattsccm
    Free Member

2 points. There is nowhere on that road that needs singling out. That would be more dangerous. Even passing a single rider means crossing a white line on almost every road in the country so 2 abreast is shorter and makes no difference, the driver still has to wait. Been riding those roads for 35 years and I can’t see single file being needed.
    I assume that those commenting on this issue also know the road although you are probably not as old and grumpy as me.
    More to the point , lets assume that the OP does the right thingand gets in touch with the company. When he has done that and reported back we can make a fair assessment. Otherwise its all rather silly isn’t it?

Northwind

xiphon – Member

There are THREE sides to every story.

Yours.

Theirs.

And the actual truth.

You are Gary Cherone and I claim my £5.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You do know it’s legal to cross a solid white line to pass slow moving traffic?

sm
    Free Member

Don’t ride double. End of!

aracer
    Free Member

Ridden on the road in a group much, andyl? I had to read that several times to work out what he meant – I’d expect to get shouted at if I left a 1 bike gap on the local club ride.

Not to mention that as discussed above, the cyclists have a right to be on the road riding in a group, and 2 abreast is the most considerate way to ride for other traffic.

Northwind

sm – Member

Don’t ride double. End of!

Yeah, it’s much safer to encourage people to overtake in gaps that are too small. Do you also recommend riding in the gutter?

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Don’t ride double. End of”
    no idea! My mum would say that 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘thanks to the f***wit who was running the FoD uplift earlier’ is closed to new replies.