• This topic has 309 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 310 total)
  • Thanks for the work, Mods
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Posting poo, would make more sense. Especially when pushing poo means something else.

Suggesting they light it was an edit, perhaps posted after being reported

Drac

Posting poo, would make more sense. Especially when pushing poo means something else

Cougar

I think yours was culled as others were deleted and your post no longer made sense.

Ah, yes, that rings a bell.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Making light of a term of homophobic abuse?

Drac

Making light of a term of homophobic abuse?

Now what?

scotroutes

Cougar – ban Drac too while you’re at it.

(Autocorrect changes Drac to Draconian 🙂 )

jambourgie
    Free Member

I think yours was culled as others were deleted and your post no longer made sense.

I think that was me. It sticks in my mind because the complaint was that the post was “lude”, though I don’t remember the exact post (and can’t seem to find it now). Maybe I deleted the wrong one? Mia culpa if so.

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t particularly care, delete away! Just interested in the process. I thought perhaps weilding a blunderbuss from atop your mod-throne might be an inelegant method of censorship. Perhaps some sites fitted at the very least?

Cougar

Oh good grief, CM. Read my previous post. It was a reply to this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/donalderm-trump/page/3#post-8297882

Jamie – Member

Other moderators are more quiet about it, seeking to minimise any hassle from other posters.

What hassle?

*pushes dog poo through Druidh’s letterbox*[/quote]

Context, my dear fellow.

Drac

Autocorrect changes Drac to Draconian )

Seems fair.

Drac

And the response was.

Pushing poo again Jamie?

I think the trick is to set it alight.

Cougar

Autocorrect changes Drac to Draconian

Back in T9 days, “Cougar” defaulted to an initial suggestion of “Antics,” which mildly amused me.

scaredypants

“snowflakes”

If anything comes of this thread, PLEASE can this be added to the swear filter or the “I have nothing useful to add”eriser ?

Drac

We’ll see petal.

scaredypants

*feels special*
    *and slightly offended, in the spirit of the thread*

twonks

I only know a few people on here but, by and large I find it to be a well run forum that is more or less left to its own devices content wise. 🙂

How it runs so smoothly with only a few sub sections for members to post and discuss all things is a credit to the moderation and admin team, as it could very easily degenerate into a sweary shout box.

As some may know I’m a mod on a popular car audio based forum, so I can see this thread from both sides of the table.

It’s a job that is taken for granted and not seen by the masses – until it affects somebody personally and they get moderated. Then we are all hitlers for a day.

As said, other than blatant spam and trolls, moderating is all about context. Yes in a lot of cases it is down to interpretation but, (again as said before) if the post / comment is in a public section of a forum, it can’t be deemed racist, slanderous, libel etc etc etc or else the forum owners become accountable.

Can’t win really but, I enjoy it 🙂

Basically keep up the good work chaps 😀

coconut
    Free Member

I always though Cougar was some fit old GILF on the tinternet. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be some IT bod… and a man!

Cougar

You should see some of the random Snapchats I get.

Drac

No thanks.

Cougar

Stop sending them then.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

C’mon Scotroutes, just be honest

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Fantastic thread, what should of been a ego boosting swoon fest for the mods has turned into an ambush!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think the issue is that the onymous Mods at least, are in the privileged position of white heterosexual males as such whilst the may be able to identify overt racism, sexism homophobia etc, they are not sensitive to the microagressions to which the rest of us are subject. The fact that complaints are ‘discussed’ by a homogenous group does not allow for the sensitivity to abuse which a more varied group might afford. Just saying. You know, you might want to think about it.

Edukator
    Free Member

You aren’t the only one who saw PP as homophobic, Charlie. And the stealth edit “light it first” made it clear to me at least that the initial intention was as such. I don’t think complaining to someone who refers to another poster a “petal” which the urban dictionary tells me means “beautiful girl” will get you far.

It’s all very Clarksonesque – “there’s a slant on that bridge” etc. Boys will be boys. One either thinks it’s great humour or sees it for what it is. This place isn’t the BBC, not a public service and if some want be be laddish it’s no great shakes.

Snow beckons. Have a good weekend mods, members, Lazarus and all.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You aren’t the only one who saw PP as homophobic

Reported

On behalf of both PeterPoddy and myself. This is an outrage.

tjagain

I know scotroutes in real life and thus I saw the post as intended – a reference to the earlier post. ( as has been explained) Not homophobic at all. Context is all.

Drac

The fact that complaints are ‘discussed’ by a homogenous group does not allow for the sensitivity to abuse which a more varied group might afford. Just saying. You know, you might want to think about it.

There’s more than Cougar and I that mod. Not one seen him Scotroutes response as refering to the homophobic term.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why not see what he says? Not saying he is homophobic only that the phrase he used was. Perhaps misplaced humour

Drac

You aren’t the only one who saw PP as homophobic, Charlie. And the stealth edit “light it first” made it clear to me at least that the initial intention was as such

PP didn’t even post and maybe that’s the issue that we only seen the post after the the claimed stealth edit.

Maybe he edited to stop any hyperbolic reports.

Drac

Why not see what he says? Not saying he is homophobic only that the phrase he used was. Perhaps misplaced humour

Many terms can be but it’s about context, pushing shit bombs through a letter box isn’t the same as the homophobic reference.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why not see what he says?

Jamie
    Free Member

So any blood in stools or blocked feeling even after pooping, see your GP.

… it’s a reference to pushing poo through someone’s letterbox.

The reference is ‘pushing poo again’ no mention of a letter box and ‘poo pusher’ or ‘poo pushing’ are very familiar terms of abuse. Also the bit about setting light was a later edit
    However, it does not moderate the use of the poo pushing. The most insidious forms of these kinds abuse are exactly because they are veiled but both the abuser and abused know exactly what the intent is.
    He did not refer to pushing poo through a letter box. He explicitly and deliberately used ‘pushing poo

Poo pusher and poo pushing are terms of abuse.

Pushing poo again Jamie?

Posting poo, would make more sense. Especially when pushing poo means something else.

In replying to someone who talked about pushing poo through a letter box and suggesting they light it first, no not strange at all.

no way am I getting into the cage to have poo thrown at me but I wouldn’t report the bahaviour to anyone

Pushing poo again? Is a strange sentence construction in this context.

This thread is literally full of shit.

tjagain

charlie – it wasn’t homophobic IN THE CONTEXT. context is all. Its like black americans use the “n” word to refer to each other and themselves, its not racist in that context. If I did it it would be racist

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

PP didn’t even post and maybe that’s the issue that we only seen the post after the the claimed stealth edit.

PP did not post. It refers to ‘pushing poo’

You may not have seen it after the edit but you can see what it said. Just cover up the second line with your hand

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

charlie – it wasn’t homophobic IN THE CONTEXT

Actually specifically in the context it was, it was. Scotroutes knew very well what he was referring to.

Jamie
    Free Member

The second line was probably added as OP realised his intentions could be misconstrued.

Which is vindication of their intentions, no?

Drac

PP did not post. It refers to ‘pushing poo’

Oh!

You may not have seen it after the edit but you can see what it said. Just cover up the second line with your hand

What?

Well I’m done all you’ve done CM is demonstrate why we normally don’t discuss decisions on the forum.

tjagain

charlie – sorry you are simply wrong as the context was in the earlier post that refered to pushing poo as well

Jamie
    Free Member

Just to put it out there, I do see where Charlie is coming from.

….but I think he is barking up the wrong tree assuming the stealth edit was for nefarious reasons.

But who knows. Maybe Druidh is a raging homophobe 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it was a reference to both or it just does not work as a joke [pun]but it was just a joke.

Granted it was very well executed with deniability and much better[ on both fronts] than when he asked about ferry times 😉

I think it was fine but clearly meant both meanings

As they say context is all as is who says it to whom- what say Jimmy carr or Frankie Boyle says is deeply offensive – the later sometimes is just offensive- but it works because you know there is no malice in it and its either funny or not but it is never what it looks liek on face value.

I think you both have a point but CM likes to labour points to death and does not do nuance.

maxtorque

tjagain
    I know scotroutes in real life and thus I saw the post as intended

And this is the nub of the issue.

The written word, despite being black and white is open to a wide range of interpretations, based not just on the way it’s written by the author, but also by the way it’s READ by the reader!

Take the following example:

“I’m going to ***** kill you”

Those words are quite clear. Taken at a completely literal sensse, they tell us that the author i going to kill the reader.

But, i bet all around the world right now those exact words are being used by a lot of people, some of whom will indeed kill the listener, but the vast majority have said/written it and meant it in a very different way indeed.

In spoken word, the WAY you say something tells the listener more about how it was meant that the words themselves. Add in real body language and the meaning is much much clearer. In fact, the meaning can even be completely changed by what was said immediately prior. For example:

“Stacey, if you leave your dirty socks on the bathroom floor one more time i’m going to ***** kill you”

VS

“Insult me again and i’m going to **** kill you”

Very, very different situations i think you’ll agree. There are ways to attempt to clarify how we expect things to be taken:

Emoticons are meant to give us some sense of the intended tone of the written word 8)

Emoticons are meant to give us some sense of the intended tone of the written word 🙄

But again, these are open to interpretation.

One thing that could work, but would require a forum code change is to have an option to “blank abusive posts”, where a reported post is coloured red, and you don’t’ see it if you’ve got that box ticked. Those posts could also individually be covered by a “warning, post contains adult content” or whatever type warning, that must be individually clicked to see that post?

But as the mods rightly say, moderation must be based on average behavior, not single posts. Some posters on here go out of their way to argue, and be rude / disrespectful. We often see one of two posters “against the rest of the world” where posters attempt to reason with them, but end of just getting caught up in a cycle of insults.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘Thanks for the work, Mods’ is closed to new replies.