Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Thank you local council tip
  • rascal
    Free Member

You’ve just cost me £63 for a new car tyre.
    Almost brand new car tyre has a screw through it on the shoulder where it can’t be fixed. What a nice way to end the year

angeldust
    Free Member

Bummer. Blame the guy that didn’t clear up after himself.
    My car tyres cost ~£280 each, so could be worse (limited sympathy) 😯

simmy
    Free Member

Happened to me when my mate dropped a new kitchen off for me, opened the doors of his van and some screws fell out. Didn’t spot them as it was dark.

Really annoying.

Junkyard
    Free Member

how does a screw get in the tyre ?
    nail I can see but a screw surely it needs to be screwed in?

Rubber_Buccaneer

a screw surely it needs to be screwed in

Balance one on it’s head and tread on it barefoot. I think you will find it penetrates quite well enough 🙂

Cougar

£63?

What do you drive, a 2CV?

Junkyard
    Free Member

my feet are not made of rubber and reinforced with wire and at a positive psi
    I fancy my chances wearing my shoes of nothing much happening tbh

Will update from casualty 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can confirm that a screw does not need to be screwed into an inflated tyre.
    I served my apprenticeship as a plant fitter on the council & half the jobs were fixing punctures on site dumpers caused by screws (& nails)

stevepitch
    Free Member

make sure you claim for emotional distress when you ring up to moan

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£63?

What do you drive, a 2CV?

That’s about what I pay for Goodyear 205/55-16s on our Focus…..

geoffj

Opened thread hoping to see some salvaged pub bike exocitca.
    I is disappoint!

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to be about you finding a lovely old bike which had been consigned to the dustbin.

So disappointing… 😥

EDIT. Beaten to the punch by 45 seconds. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Me too Geoff! 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

A Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55.
    Best place to find a tyre for a 2CV would be a tip – get one off an old pram

maccruiskeen

a screw surely it needs to be screwed in

yes, you can screw them into things with a council screwdriver

Its always screws in my tyres – given I usually have a couple of thousand screws packed in the back of the van I’ve alway asked to see the culprit but so far I seem not to have been a victim of friendly fire. The only saving grace with screws is they tend to go in and stay in so never had worse than a slow puncture, rather than anything that requires a road-side wheel change as the torq settings for my wheels are bonkers and getting the wheel nuts off is a horror story.

CountZero

Junkyard – lazarus
    how does a screw get in the tyre ?
    nail I can see but a screw surely it needs to be screwed in?

You think? I can assure you that the screw that caused a flat while I was riding home from work on my Inbred most certainly wasn’t screwed in!
    It had to be unscrewed to get it out easily, though. Over an inch long, it was.

carlos
    Free Member

Best place to find a tyre for a 2CV would be a tip – get one off an old pram

Yes, but check it for screws 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Did they also add insult to injury by refusing to accept what you wanted to get rid of?

“Sorry mate, we can’t take that here”.

“Erm, this is a rubbish tip isn’t it?”

“Yes but we can’t accept x and we can only accept y if it is still sealed and doesn’t contain any z”

Often seems like the tail is wagging the dog at these places………

johndoh
    Free Member

On the other hand, our local ‘recycling centre’ is great – raised level parking so you drop stuff in rather than have to negotiate steps, attendants help unloading the car and sorting stuff out into correct skips etc.

joat

A screw is no problem!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t tell John Bishop about council tips!

simon_g

Be glad it wasn’t your bike! (just about stayed upright, cost a similar amount to put right…)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8B94ka]Mudguard fail[/url] by kiteless, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8BcbVW]Screw[/url] by kiteless, on Flickr

CountZero

Bloody hell, that’s some screw! When I got the screw in my tyre, it went down immediately and caused the back wheel to go all over the place, not amusing when you’re on a main road cycle lane with cars right next to you, as I’m sure that monster proved!

MoreCashThanDash

I think joat needs to give us some background to that picture!

nealglover
    Free Member

I fancy my chances wearing my shoes of nothing much happening tbh

I can save you the experiment.

Having spent a couple of hours in A&E a few years back after stepping on an upturned screw at work that went straight through the sole of my boot, and my foot. With the timber still attached !

joat

I think joat needs to give us some background to that picture!

Well it’s probably a funny story, just not mine I’m afraid. Saw it on the tinterweb.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive had a puncture off plasterboard screws that didnt even go in ‘end first’ sharp little *****

Northwind

I used to use ultraseal stuff in the motorbike’s tyres. One time, I went to swap on my trackday sticky tyres, and discovered a 6mm allen key inside the road tyre- it’d gone straight through and was just barely stuck in the carcass on the inside, then it’d sealed up after.

timba
    Free Member

Just to add insult to injury, our tip won’t accept tyres so you pay for that to be disposed of too

epicyclo

timba – Member
    Just to add insult to injury, our tip won’t accept tyres so you pay for that to be disposed of too

That shouldn’t be a problem. That’s what beauty spots were invented for…

GrahamS

That’s about what I pay for Goodyear 205/55-16s on our Focus…..

jimbobo
    Free Member

I got a 10mm wide bolt through a tyre once (RRV braking hard from high speed, presumably forced it in), that was a bit of a shock. Better yet it was still holding air so I drove it to mcdonalds before calling the tyre fitters!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Thank you local council tip’ is closed to new replies.