• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thames Path
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Any of you london folk offer some advice?

My missus is keen to ride “the thames path through town” at some point in the coming weeks.

Likely drive in (M40/M4 side)so wondering where would be a reasonable parking/starting point, where does it get interesting, realisticly maximum of about 10miles (so 20 out and back)

aP
    Free Member

Its not continuous, and will have a fair bit of riding on busy roads as you head in towards Westminster. If you make it into central london then the path will have quite a lot of pedestrians on it, so progress will be slow, and there’ll be places you’ll have to get off and walk.
    The stretch in from Weybridge to Richmond/ Putney is quite pleasant though – not really “through town” though.

jimdubleyou

I would actually go to somewhere like Hampton Court or Kingston and cycle out of town – the path there is fairly pleasant.

Beyond Putney, it’s a bit rubbish.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dknwhy

There’s also a diversion in place between Greenwich and the O2 which takes you alongside the A2.

Andy_B

The section from Kew Bridge down to Putney is nice enough and usually wide enough to be able to share it with the many walkers, runners and dogs. You need to be on the south side. There are some ok places for coffee and cake near Putney. If you need a longer ride then you can pop through to Richmond Park near Barnes.

The nice bits on the north side of the same section are no-cycling with a bunch of self appointed enforcers around to spoil your fun.

yetitony
    Free Member

Shame you are not coming in from the East as there is a nice route in through the Lea Valley and past the Olympic park which you can follow in to the centre. We generally cycle in from Essex and have a spot of lunch at Look Mum No Hands.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you start East, say O2, then it goes through some rough areas behind the old docks, and meanders around the edge which is past the driving range, then into Greenwich and south along the river. It meanders in and out of the area so keep your eyes open for the signs, heading toward London Bridge there is a lot of building works so it’s redirected. In Town it joins the CS on embankment which is now a two lane cycle path.. through this and out toward Chelsea it cuts through the back streets and again keep an eye on signposts.

It’s well worth doing but take your time and keep your eyes open for all the things to see one the way.

belugabob
    Free Member

No need to go as far as “town”

Park for free at Walton on Thames, then ride to teddington for a nice lunch at the pub on the north side of the river, then back via bushey park.

superleggero
    Free Member

If you’re coming down the M4 I would head towards Richmond Park for easy free parking. The further in along the Thames you go the more difficult and limited parking will be.

Option A – You can park in one of the car parks in Richmond Park (all are free) but be aware that the park shuts to vehicular traffic at 4pm at this time of year. So if you are unlucky enough to have mechanical problems with the bikes that delay your return beyond 4pm, you’ll find your car locked in. Worth knowing however that you can cycle through the Park after 4pm using the pedestrian gates next to the vehicle gates – as long as there isn’t a dear cull (cull times are signposted at the entrance gates).

Option B – I suggest, therefore, you park alongside Ham Common (off Petersham Road) which is nearer the river and doesn’t have any parking restrictions. You can pick up the wide path to Ham House on the north side of the common (called ‘Ham Avenues’). Follow this path all the way down past the back of Ham House, keeping the wall of Ham house to your left, then ahead over a small wooden bridge and you’re on the river. You’ll see the polo grounds on the right from the path just keep heading North. Once on the Thames Path turn right for Richmond and beyond into central London.

This is what the path off Ham Common looks like it’s a bit easy to miss because it’s set back a little (to view copy and paste the whole link below into your browser address bar – it seems to break in half on here):
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4359914,-0.3083268,3a,75y,326.99h,67.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sefmMQnPyWao6y6qN0znHCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It’s a pleasant enough cycle from there to Kew, Barnes and Hammersmith but things start to get a bit tricky when you get into central London proper past Putney Bridge. The path starts to cut away from the river and back again in quite a few places and isn’t always well signposted. Also there are some parts you can’t cycle on as mentioned already. Worth looking for info on the Sustans site which is good for maps, and plenty of people have blogged about their their rides into central London on the Thames path – make sure it’s a recent blog…!

soobalias
    Free Member

some great advice (as always) thanks.

i know my missus wanted to ride right across london, out past the O2 and then back. the reality is that her legs wouldnt agree with her.

if i remember, i will do some pics and a write up of what we actually do.

jimdubleyou

Worth knowing however that you can cycle through the Park after 4pm using the pedestrian gates next to the vehicle gates – as long as there isn’t a dear cull (cull times are signposted at the entrance gates).

There is currently a Deer Cull (or there was last week). Ped. gates shut at 8pm.

ribena
    Free Member

This is the route I used to take to/from work. Should get you to Embankment from Putney mostly off the roads…
    https://www.strava.com/activities/252671128

You could then carry on along embankment to London Bridge and get back on the Thames Path.

aP
    Free Member

I used to commute from near Richmond to right next to the O2. Its just under 20 miles each way. I used to take the fastest (sensible) route, it had about 170 sets of traffic lights and took me on average about 1hr20.
    10 miles each way is only going to get you from, say Walton to Richmond, or Richmond to Putney, or Putney to somewhere like Tower Bridge.
    I think you’ll be better served by choosing which bit you want to do and planning from that. It may well be better to get the train into, say Vauxhall, and cycling from there rather than driving in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thames Path’ is closed to new replies.