Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TF Tuned DU bushing problem on Santa Cruz
  • contrakid
    Free Member

I am running TF Tuned mounting DU bushing system.

I have replaced my bushing before with a couple of different types of bushing and never had this problem before.

My suspension has been feeling a bit stiff for a while now and I seem to have to run lower air pressure to get good movement from rear shock.

So i decided to investigate.

The TF Tuned DU bushing has a rubber spacer either side of the shock eyelet and then an aluminium spacer against the frame and rubber spacer. When i removed the shock i notice the DU bushing had moved and no longer was flush with the eyelet, so on one side it was about 1mm or more sticking out of the eyelet. Obviously with a solid space like some of the aluminium ones or nylon ones this would not be possible but it seems to have moved out to one side because the rubber spacer is so soft.

Q: Is it only moving out because the rubber spacer is so soft or is it moving over because of some other alignment problem etc.

Q: Is it design to do this to allow for better movement?

Q: Would i just be better swapping back to a solid bushing spacer?

I am concerned?

I have reset it all in vice so DU is flush with shock eyelet and gone on two rides and checked again and it has same issue again. Other end of shock has Fox bushing so no issue at top end.

I also serviced rear shock at same time so this could have been what improved the plush ness of my shock, not sure. Shock stll felt good at end of last ride so i’m thinking maybe service sorted it.

But why would this DU bushing move out of alignment with shock eyelet?

Thanks in advance guys

benpinnick

Its moving because the frame isn’t straight most likely. The rubber washer is a seal designed to prevent crud entering the bush. You could in theory run the shock without any spacers at all (just the axle) if it was perfectly aligned – it should stay in the middle.

So in answer to your question, I’d go back to top hat style bushings and pretend you don’t know your frame is probably a bit wonky.

legend
    Free Member

Someone else was asking this recently, had never heard of anyone else having problems with the kit before and now two SC’s are doing it – odd http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shock-bushes-coming-out

robj20
    Free Member

I have them on my Nomad with no issue, is there any unusual wear on the bushes to show that its not lined up perfectly?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like the same issue as the link above – it’s fairly apparent the linked example is missing the top hat part of the mounting hardware.

A picture would paint a thousand words, as they say. Is it possible you have missed some parts when putting everything back together?

fathomer

For what it’s worth, it sounds like exactly the same issue as I was having. Every bit of the kit that TF send out was installed, look at the pic toward the end of the thread of what I took out.

I’ve put one of the Fox low friction jobbies that came with my frame that I didn’t realise I had. Only two rides in but it seems fine so far.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sounds like some misalignment of the back end of the bike and/or play in the backend, worn bearings etc.

The Fox low friction ones won’t move as the eyelet bushes themselves have a shoulder on them, although if the backend is out of line you may find that they wear quicker & unevenly (more force on one side).
    They may also translate the sideways force to another area, probably the wiper seal/bodytube area of the shock, so the bodytube over time may wear on one side due to the sideways load.
    Another one is that the eyelets of the shock can ovalise over time leading to the eyelet/du bush being a slackfit which in conjunction with a sideload means they’ll work their way sideways

contrakid
    Free Member

Thanks guys

No its all fitted correctly as i have fitted many new bushing before. DU bush is in eyelet and then rubber seal either side of eyelet and then Aluminium space at each end.

I worried frame i wonky as when i did lower linkage clean and grease i could see wear but only on one side of bearing caps which would indicate sideways force of some sort.

Going to take apart again and remove spacers and see if i can see shock sitting off centre.

Cheers guys

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TF Tuned DU bushing problem on Santa Cruz’ is closed to new replies.