• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Texting; am I weird?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

How many texts do you send / receive a day?

I just had a look at my phones’ sent items list and I’ve sent….

two

this year….

I probably receive about five a month, including the bill notification

(Nobby no mates / CBA)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

About seven hundred a month sent. Received similar.

Mackem

Not just you, gets on my nerves when the other half insists on having text conversations with a mate when a 2 minute phone call would sort it all out far quicker.

Solo
    Free Member

I use to send and receive very few.

But when I had to start dating again recently, it went ape.
    It hasn’t improved since, my favourite GF at the moment, could text for England.

Is convinced its a Chick thing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I txt far more than I call. I’ve never been 100% comfortable speaking on the phone compared with in-person. I struggle a little without sending/receiving visual clues I think. Latitude is applied when reading txt and I like to pass information efficiently.

Everyone is different

Solo
    Free Member

About seven hundred a month

😯

😯 😯

Solo
    Free Member

gets on my nerves when the other half insists on having text conversations with a mate when a 2 minute phone call would sort it all out far quicker

Oh yeah !.

wwaswas

In mid February my son complained he’d reached then end of the free texts on his phone plan.

He gets 3500 free texts per month!

We’ve switched him to an unlimited text plan (same price) now so he can go to inifity and beyond now.

rocketman
    Free Member

Maybe four or five per year

Solo
    Free Member

Maybe four or five per year

Show off !.
    😀

scaled
    Free Member

Probably 25 or so a month – group ones for arranging rides with my mates that don’t work in IT/sit at a computer all day long.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Texting; am I weird?

No but you joined the ‘posting on STW am I weird’ club

nealglover
    Free Member

I probably send well over 1500 a month. And receive about the same.

I do a lot of bookings/quotes by text. It’s helpful to have a record of addresses and other details at hand without having to write them down while out and about.

I also send out offers and vouchers by text too.

portlyone

My phone rarely gets used as a phone, it’s smart features get used heavily though.

Cougar

I used to use SMS a lot, it’s really useful when you just want to send someone a quick note rather than having a conversation. “Home safe / your order’s turned up / pub then?” sort of thing. I use it a lot less these days, and I think a big part of that may be that Twitter’s replaced it as weapon of choice.

nbt

I recently moved to GiffGaff from O2.

Having been with them for ten years, O2 tried to get me to stay and looked at my usage.

I average 6 texts and 2 minutes of calls per month. I’ve used a few more text since moving to giffgaff, partly becasue they’re cheaper and partyly becasue I’ve now got a smartphone so it’s a bit easier to text

toxicsoks
    Free Member

With having offspring in various parts of the country/world I send/get about 200/month.
    My son, 19, was getting a bit annoyed that every month, despite having an “unlimited” txts contract, he was being billed for an extra £5-10.
    When we went into the local Orange shop there was much mirth and disbelief when they found, from his records, that he was sending in excess of 3500 txts/month! “Unlimited” upper threshold was 3000.
    :¬/

binners

You bloody liar nbt. You’ve been sexting on your new smartphone, haven’t you? Sending poor old bunnyhop pictures of your cobblers 😆

CountZero

About 30 texts this year, mostly split between a friend, trying to arrange evenings for a drink that fit her work commitments, and a work colleague, sorting out what printing plates he wants me to make, (he’s about a five minute walk away on the other side of the industrial estate, and I’m not always near a phone).
    Oh, and my phone calls amount to roughly one a week, lasting less than a minute, generally speaking.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@wwaswas

He gets 3500 free texts per month!

We’ve switched him to an unlimited text plan (same price) now so he can go to inifity and beyond now.

be carfeul here as they often have a “fair use” clause in the contract which gets them out of jail if they decide it’s too much.

Am about 3-5 texts per day depending on the emotional weather at home… the volume goes up on the days she loves me but the content rises when I am under the clouds…

rocketman
    Free Member

Show off !

I just find it a really impersonal way of communicating with people as if I want to say something to them but I CBA to talk to them.

Must be getting old 😐

binners

I send a lot of texts as it means I don’t have to actually talk to people. Which is, quite frankly, a PITA I generally try to avoid.

I think this is a male trait generally, isn’t it? Women can gab for hours, whereas a blokes conversation tend to go as follows

Bloke 1: Fancy going out for a ride/nipping to the pub later?
    Bloke 2: Yip. What time?
    Bloke 1: About 7?
    Bloke 2: Cool. See you later

So texts are all that’s really necessary

dknwhy

I probably send/receive 150 ish a month.

I insist on trying to use correct spelling and grammar though rather than text speak, even if it means that one text turns into multiples. Am I weird?

Cougar

Bloke 1: Fancy going out for a ride/nipping to the pub later?
    Bloke 2: Yip. What time?
    Bloke 1: About 7?
    Bloke 2: Cool. See you later

That’d be verbose for us.

1: Beer tonight?
    2: Aye.

Tom-B
    Free Member

wwaswas there was a rather funny thread on here about someone’s teenage daughter that had clocked up a 500quid bill on an unlimited text plan. The amount of text’s that she had sent worked out at something like one every 7 minutes 24/7 for the entire month 😆

binners

I insist on trying to use correct spelling and grammar though rather than text speak, even if it means that one text turns into multiples. Am I weird?

Nope. Not at all. Text speak is the quickest, and most effective way on earth to demonstrate that you’re an absolute imbecile! Just about forgivable in a 11 year old, but not if you’ve reached puberty

Solo
    Free Member

I just find it a really impersonal way of communicating with people as if I want to say something to them but I CBA to talk to them.
    Must be getting old

RM.

Not at all. I’m with you. I’d rather make a quick call, have a chat and get things sorted that way.

But each to their own.
    🙂

logical
    Free Member

Oh, and my phone calls amount to roughly one a week, lasting less than a minute, generally speaking.

Wasting the time making mooing noises would be stupid.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Had a look – my most texted number is 241 for orange 2 for 1 on cinema tickets and pizza.

edlong
    Free Member

With decent predictive swypy keyboarded touchscreens on smartphones, it’s easier now to text the real words instead of the “l8r” et al we used to see a couple of years.

philconsequence
    Free Member

not many, used to be more but now the wife works in prison she can only email. the rest of my previous regular texts have been replaced by iMessenger as i’m nearly always somewhere with wifi and those friends nearly all have iphones.

still, receiving about 670ish picture messages from deadlydarcy each month of pheasants means my phone is always buzzing.

nbt

bunnyhops’ phone doesn;t do pics, have I been wasting my money?

jon1973
    Free Member

Send/receive about 3 – 5 a day. Mostly from/to the missus.

binners

Philly – Shall we all try and guess what ‘pheasants’ is euphemism for? Or are some things just best not known?

philconsequence
    Free Member

well he’s developed an obsession with pheasants, he’s gone all country pursuits and was posting pictures of his venison soup on twitter the other day. he wont reply to this as he’s currently busy gaffa taping a gun and flatcap to his border terrier.

amedias
    Free Member

My son, 19, was getting a bit annoyed that every month, despite having an “unlimited” txts contract, he was being billed for an extra £5-10.
    When we went into the local Orange shop there was much mirth and disbelief when they found, from his records, that he was sending in excess of 3500 txts/month!

assuming 16 hours awake per day… thats ~7 txts per hour, so more than one every 10mins, continuously all day, every day… 😯

if he has a job/at college then obviously it wont be continuous but in bursts, that means he must spend significant portions of time **just** texting, madness!

wwaswas

I think a lot of my sons stuff is 5+ people all texting each other so he sends 5+ texts on his plan for each one he actually writes.

philconsequence
    Free Member

lets not forget the long messages caused by correct spelling and punctuation leading to a simple text being 2-3 texts long.

molgrips
    Free Member

I text my wife when I am not around. It’s a lot easier for her to hear the sound and then pick it up when she’s ready than it is to put down whatever she is doing (usually manically running around after kids) and run to the phone.

Usually though I use google talk. This is ideal because it simply appears as a notification that she picks up when she sits down for a rest with the computer or her phone.

FuzzyWuzzy

Probably about 20-30 a month, mostly just for unimportant stuff I don’t want to disturb the other person with by calling them. I’d probably send about 3 a month if I had to use the old phone type keys though, can only bear to type using an on-screen full keyboard. And yeah always have to type full words for some reason even if replying to someone using text speak

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Texting; am I weird?’ is closed to new replies.