Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tethering on a sim only plan
  • surfdad
    Free Member

I’m coming to the end of my current contract with tmob and don’t want need a new phone to replace my sensation. However I’ve just bought a nexus 7 tablet and so want a plan with plenty of data that will allow me to tether.
    Any recommendations? Giffgaff say no tethering otherwise I would go with them straightaway.
    Would rather avoid orange/tmob as have had awful experiences with their customer services.
    Cheers

sadexpunk

you can tether on giffgaff. think its their £10 goodybag, which gives 1Gb data usage and allows it. £12 goodybag allows unlimited data but no tethering.

altho whether youd get the usage you want from tethering on a 1Gb cap is another matter. and may be why theyve done that 🙂

timidwheeler

I have unlimited internet with tethering on the one plan from 3. I seem to remember they have a sim only deal. Have a look on their website and check the coverage level where you are.

daveh
    Free Member

Double check but I think you can tether with the giffgaff 1gb goodiebag, its just the unlimited one that its not allowed. Vodafone allow you to tether, as do O2 I believe. Most of the virtual network operators don’t from what I’ve seen.

surfdad
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at those thanks.

jeffl

If you only plan to tether the nexus 7 I don’t see how they can identify if you’re tethering. Same browser and apps as your phone.

surfdad
    Free Member

I’ve wondered how they work it out. Loads of data usage if you’re watching iplayer? Any thoughts?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t see how they can identify if you’re tethering. Same browser and apps as your phone.

You’d be surprised how much information you send out when you’re browsing…

jeffl

Yes but the only way they could realistically tell is via your browser header. Or possibly if you’re using some app which uses a random port and their is no phone equivalent. Your phone is running android and so is your tablet. So to all intents and purposes they’re identical.

Only other thing is if your phone identifies itself as having tethering enabled. As Android is open source I’m sure a quick Google will tell you.

ampthill

Won’t some browsers report the screen resolution, I’m thinky Opera. Also surely the phone would it report it was being used as a hot spot.

In the long run I would thought that the phone and tablet being distinct isn’t sustainable. Role on the the cheap version of a galaxy tab phone

Googling sugests that some people have rooted their phones to allow tethering

Duane…
    Free Member

Can’t tether on an iPhone with Giffgaff 🙁 (I know that’d not relevant to you)

chvck
    Free Member

I’m on 3 as sim only. The 12 quid unlimited data 1 month rolling contract and I have to pay a fiver a month for a tethering bolt on. I’m not sure but I suspect that tethering to a nexus that it would send the resolution, otherwise how would css media queries work? Whether or not they bother to detect that I don’t know.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Virgin mobile. £17 a month for 1200 mins, unlimited text and internet. I used around 3gig one month without issue. You can get the same plan with 1gig of internet for £12 a month.

Slogo
    Free Member

Check out the Samba sim I sent to your email.

Just watch a handful of adverts for free internet. Ive got one in my iPad and its great. Based on 3-O2 so coverage is great!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tethering on a sim only plan’ is closed to new replies.