• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tetanus roulette
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Well, I stood on a rusty nail Tuesday night, must gone in about 5mm.

I administered first aid by means of a quick squeeze to clean it out and a spray of savlon antiseptic spray.

Inspected it yesterday during the daily shower and it looked clean. Hefty dose of savlon spray again (you can never be too sure)

Feels a little tender today.

How long do I have to live?

aracer
    Free Member

How old are you?

dobo
    Free Member

let us know if you get lock jaw, so we can send you to a & e.
    have you had a jab in 10 years?
    was rusty nail outdoors in farm or somewhere tetanus might want to hang out?
    hospital always gives me one regardless of the above though..

metalheart
    Free Member

It was rural, but in gravel. Outside the house.
    Haven’t had a shot in at least 20 years.

dobo
    Free Member

well best ask someone who gets paid to listen to this day in day out like your doctor 🙂

Cougar

Go get your shots.

Get one and didn’t need it, you’re good for the next ten years anyway.

Don’t get one and did need it, well, can I have your bike?

(The shot takes two weeks to be effective btw, so don’t fanny about either.)

metalheart
    Free Member

Soooo, shots, GP or A&E?

dobo
    Free Member

Defiantly tequila shots..

seavers
    Free Member

GP..You don’t even need the GP, the nurse at the surgery will sort you out. I wouldn’t bother A&E with something so minor those guys are mad busy!

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks, i’ll phone surgery in the am….

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Several years ago I saw the practice nurse to see if I needed any boosters etc and was told I didn’t need any more tetanus jabs ever which is nice. Might be worth asking next time u are down

sgn23
    Free Member

When I crashed into some rusty barbed wire earlier this year the nurse told me that current thinking on tetanus was once you’ve had 2 shots you’re covered for life.

CheesybeanZ

I believe 5 is the max tetanus you should have in a lifevtime – regular A&E visitor when I was younger .

StirlingCrispin

It’s more likely to be an infection.

If it starts to bother you it’s probably infected, so get yourself straight to the GP for antibiotics.

If it starts tracking (red streaks up the foot) you’ve got 24hrs to live – or a weekend in hospital on iv antibiotics.

Been there done that!

brakes
    Free Member

I thought this thread said ‘tourettes’ roulette.
    it had promise.

dobo
    Free Member

dont let us stop you starting your own tourettes roulette thread…

poah
    Free Member

try and deep throat a cucumber. if you gag you are fine but if you bite down I would consider contacting A&E.

If you are young enough you’ve probably had the 5 injections the NHS currently give which should give life long immunity.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tetanus roulette’ is closed to new replies.