Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Test your Broadband speed you may be surprised
  • grantway
    Free Member

Wow tested our Broadband speed and SKY are providing a Blistering

Download 0.9MB

Upload 0.5MB

Uswitch UK Broadband speed test

billytinkle
    Free Member

Download 61.2mb
    Upload 2.8mb

On wireless laptop, I like Virgin.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Touching 5MB (Plusnet)

(Phoned them about when the router would arrive & the lass on the phone said, ‘areet love, ows tha doin, ow can I elp ya’?

Spoke to someone in Bangalore when I sacked Talk Bollox & couldn’t understand them.)

footflaps

Better than I was expecting, it can be really slow at the WEs in the evening:

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 18.02.54 by brf, on Flickr

bazhall
    Free Member

On Sky broadband

Download Speed 16.2Mb
    Upload Speed 0.9Mb

oldboy
    Free Member

I’m getting a lousy – less than 1mb – download from BT and being charged the same as others getting 15x that. This BT monopoly of the copper cable into most homes can’t be right, shirley!

KonaTC

BT

Download speed: 15.1Mb
    Upload speed: 8.1Mb

Jamie
    Free Member

…I always take these speed tests with a pinch of salt in regard to their accuracy. For example, Speedtest gives a different result:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On Virgin cable.
    Paying for 30mb and usually getting around 31mb. Anything with a BT line is shit IME, and Sky are one of those. From all the dealings I’ve ever had with any telecommunications/TV supplier, Virgin have easily been the best, most efficient, best customer service and best at fixing faults.

pedlad

Just changed ISP as getting a poor 1-1.6mb.
    Bt installed after promising 7-8 (village location with no infinity) and got a whopping1.8. Arse.
    Had a moan a week later and not sure what they did but now getting 6-7 reliably which I’m happy with.

If only I could get the Vodafone sure signal box to work with this new router I’d be sorted…

Drac

BT

11Mb Down

1Mb Down

Rated the fastest so not surpassed here but was that it was only 11Mb but probably mean my eldest is FaceTime something whilst playing minecraft.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just done the test, which proved me right 🙂

ISP speed by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

legend
    Free Member

Plusnet here:
    Download – 26Mb
    Upload – 15Mb

Surprised that the Upload is that fast (although it is bloomin fast), but the Download is where i’d expect it

Cougar

Sky router trains at ~13Mbps. Measured on uSwitch at 8Mbps. Bit of a disparity there.

welshfarmer

0.2 download & 0.2 upload. And yes, it is very poor service that we have to pay the same price as everyone else. If we even had a mobile signal it might help but have to go 6 miles to get even 2G

Cougar

10Mbps on http://www.speedtest.net/ . I don’t think that uSwitch page is entirely accurate.

bails

8mb down

11mb up

But that’s wireless, I’m paying for 80something, that’s what I get when I plug the laptop into the router.

brooess
    Free Member

My Sky broadband is borked and until the engineer comes I’m using the Fon thing – where you use spare broadband from all your neighbours wireless.

Interestingly, a speedtest test shows my upload speed is 2-3x what I get from Sky when it’s working so they’re clearly throttling the line…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

100+ down at my old house 30+ new house. Virgin reckon they are doubling that soon for free which will be nice.

To be honest the only thing the 100+ made a difference to was downloading movies.

Tv, gaming etc were no different.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But that’s wireless, I’m paying for 80something, that’s what I get when I plug the laptop into the router.

That’s crap then. My test was wireless too, and I’m getting more than I’m paying for and almost exactly 4 times the download speed you are! 🙂

simondbarnes

15.5 Mbps here which I’m perfectly happy with. That uswitch site says there are no faster providers in the area. Sky was ranked last at 2.1 Mbps.

Anything with a BT line is shit IME, and Sky are one of those

I’ve only ever had broadband on BT lines and haven’t had anything to complain about for many years. I do pay a premium for my service though as I value reliability.

grantway
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    10Mbps on http://www.speedtest.net/ . I don’t think that uSwitch page is entirely accurate.

Thanks Cougar Done a speed test on that one you provided

Download 0.71 MBps

Upload 0.53 MBps

Just spoken to SKY and confirmed there is a problem after carrying out tests

somouk
    Free Member

Sky Fibre here and 18 Down with 8 up on the page originally tested which is pretty good for how far I am from the exchange.

bails

That’s crap then. My test was wireless too, and I’m getting more than I’m paying for and almost exactly 4 times the download speed you are

Just tried a different speed test and got a completely different set of results, so I’m not too fussed.

takisawa2

Virgin Media, Staffs. 😉
    Was on my works i7 Dell Precision laptop, on ethernet late one night.
    At it’s slowest it’s about 50 – 60.

Screenshot_2014-02-23-18-43-54.png by pten2106, on Flickr

Slogo
    Free Member

Just changed ISP from 3-4mb/s

So much better, I can download a 1.3gb movie in 10-15 minutes.

kimbers

bt fibre here this is on the laptop over wifi

plenty happy,
    never heard of hyghbeam though!

Slogo
    Free Member

bails – Member

That’s crap then. My test was wireless too, and I’m getting more than I’m paying for and almost exactly 4 times the download speed you are

Just tried a different speed test and got a completely different set of results, so I’m not too fussed.
    [/quote]

I would be really fussed! I would look into it and speak to your ISP something or someone could be using the bandwidth.

milky1980
    Free Member

Virgin Media via phone line in the centre of Cardiff:

Download 1.6Mb/s
    Upload 0.3Mb/s

My previous place had Cable and would never drop below 50Mb/s!! Although to be fair to Virgin they did agree that the speed I now get is shockingly bad (their database says 20Mb/s should be achievable!) that they gave me a huge discount and didn’t charge me for the transfer. They’ve tried getting OpenReach to look at it too, but no joy 🙁 Can’t watch streamed movies/I-player without downloading overnight now!

prawny

7 point something download for me which is fine, I only pay £7.50 a month with sky and it’s reliable.

ChrisI

Hmm, dont trust their results, it gave me 11Mb/s but when I tested it with Speedtest.net it was immediately @ 24Mb/s. I’m on fibre so it should be upto 40Mb/s which it does touch sometimes, was uber quick when I trailed it with Plusnet as I was the only one on the cab 😀 Shame more people are on it now and slowing it down hah

TiRed

14/8 on BT. Fast enough to watch films on Apple TV over WiFi.

zippykona

This guy wins.

I’m rocking 33.

Flaperon

Struggling along at 74 down, 20 up with Sky. Not normally a fan of handing money to Rupert Murdoch but for £25/month for their Fibre Pro package with no line rental I’m quite at ease with my hypocrisy.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Virgin Media 30MB.

kjcc25
    Free Member

10.7mbps with AOL. Have tested it at various times and usually shows just over 10 but has dropped to 9 on occasions. £7.50 No download limit. £126 line rental per year.

richc
    Free Member

something very wrong with that uswitch page……

mine is showing as .3 upload and download and I have tested it and I know I get a shocking 1.2 ( 8 miles outside Bristol) due to BT privatization the kit in the exchange hasn’t been updated in 15 years 🙁

Wonder if they are getting money for offering other deals

Davesport

Consistent & reliable 0.16 Meg downspeed with TalkTalk. I’m only 300 metres from the exchange. I put up with all the bollox, excuses & engneer visits for two years. Now with BT & getting a solid 6.8/6.9 Mbps 24/7.

TalkTalk….absolutely useless in the end. Unresponsive & only coaxed into action when I signed up to Twitter to give them a kicking.

I’m glad I move ISP’s 😀

matt_outandabout

Test your Broadband speed you may be surprised

No. I am getting what was promised.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just testing on my phone, I get higher on the laptop. 16 down 1.5 up. Though should get doubled in may with Virgin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Test your Broadband speed you may be surprised’ is closed to new replies.