Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Test Valley vicinity: cafe recommendations please
  • cinnamon_girl

In the Test Valley vicinity but NOT Stockbridge so around the Wallops, Broughton, Grateley.

Mottisfont – presumably you have to pay the entrance charge to be able to use the tea room?

Goes without saying that cyclists must be welcome!

Thanks very much. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a lot in the Wallops, I’m afraid. You could have a nice ice cream on the table outside the Over Wallop village shop, though! White Hart is a nice spot, bike friendly garden as well

Ditto, Grateley, although the pub isn’t quite as good, IMHO. Broughton is very quiet too. How about the farm shop in Kimpton?

Top of the Test gets you to the Overton Gallery.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replying Cap’n. Kimpton? Or Kimbridge? Trying to make up a little loop with cafe stop at half way, flexible with starting point so long as I can park without a height barrier! No reason not to do a pub, I just prefer a cafe!

Do you know what, I’m struggling to remember the pubs I’ve cycled past! Think I remember the Over Wallop one, it’s just after my usual turning on the right.

I’m sure I’ve passed a farm shop near the Wallops, do you know of one?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, meant Kimbridge, yes! http://www.kimbridgerestaurant.co.uk/contact/

The (better!) pub in Over Wallop is on the main village road (Station Road). The George, on the A343 next to Eddie’s garage isn’t that much cop, IMHO. New owners at the pub in Nether Wallop, but haven’t been since they took over.

FWIW, the lunch at the Malet today was splendid, and they do have a nice little courtyard garden…..!

Farm shop in the Wallops? Not one that I know of. There used to be one over at Lopcombe Corner, though.

cinnamon_girl

OK, really helpful thanks. Have you been to the cafe at the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop? Just wondering whether it may be interesting.

Where’s the Malet, Stockbridge? Keep meaning to try the Kimbridge farm shop but bet their pies are nothing like Laverstoke’s!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The museum caff is just what you’d expect a museum caff to be, I’m afraid!

The Malet – http://www.maletarms.com/ – Newton Tony. One of my two fave pubs anywhere. Simply super place to eat and drink. Tip – Have the Malet Burger. It’s not really like the other burgers you’ve had before! There’s a lot of nice track and trail stuff to be had around there, over towards Quarley, Monxton etc. No gnar to be shredded for miles, but some great riding either way.

Jody does turn out some cracking pies, it’s true. Looks as if he might be growing some hops this year as well, so will be asking around!

Also worth a look in John’s fridges/freezers in Robinson’s in Stockers for pies.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Annie’s at Kimbridge mentioned by CFH is ok.
    The John Lewis/Waitrose farm shop on the Longparish road is good, have fond memories of a cracking wedge of Victoria sponge last time I was there 🙂
    There’s an occasional cafe open a few weekends a year at the old railway station at Horsebridge, never tried it though.
    There’s a few cafés in farm shops and fisheries to the south, around the Wellows area that are supposed to be ok.
    Oh, and there’s this rather comprehensive list compiled by the good people in Hants CTC!
    http://www.southhampshirectc.org.uk/new-cafe-list-2014

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again, Cap’n, you’re a mine of information. 8)

UnderTheWood – thank you. According to their website, Horsebridge Station is a wedding venue which is rather a shame! I don’t know the Wellows area but assume it may be more busier on the roads?

I must confess to consulting the CTC cafe list, well I am now a member so would have been rude not to. That’s why I was asking about the airfield! It is unfortunately not quite up to date as my new favourite little cafe in Barton Stacey is no more, boo. 🙁

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Hi CG
    there are some nice quiet roads around the Wellows, Carter’s Clay and The Frenches, look for the north-south lanes. The busy stuff are the east-west A roads but there’s a few good crossing points allowing you to drop into the top of the Forest.

Horsebridge Station has served cream teas on a handful of weekends in the last couple of years so hopefully they’ll continue to do so! They’ll have posters out at Horsebridge close to the disused railway line.

scaredypants

FWIW the cakes at Annies in Kimbridge always seem a bit dry to me, and the cream tea’s a bit disappointing too (plastic jam, when there’s a farm shop next door ? 😥 )

cinnamon_girl

UnderTheWood – thank you, sounds as though it’s worth exploring. Have checked out the Horsebridge website and, yes, they will be serving cream teas on several dates this month and a few more next month. 8)

As a matter of interest, possibly, we stopped at the pub in Over Wallop today. Guess what? They don’t take cards, cash only!

FieldMarshall

CG

Test Valley is about 15mins from where i work.

I could pop down in the camper and sell you some GF cakes and tea if you want! 😆

cinnamon_girl

Could you fit enough food in your camper to fill up my son? Can’t believe what he puts away – we’ve been having pub lunches, a sarnie does me but he has a proper meal then another in the evening. 😯 And he’s skinny, boo!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Test Valley vicinity: cafe recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.