• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Mr_C.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Test Drive but won't be buying from dealer
  • speed12
    Free Member

Assorted knowledgeable people (and everyone else).

I’ve booked 2 test drives this Saturday to try out two cars I am potentially thinking of acquiring (just one of them, to be clear…).

However, I would be acquiring said car through a lease scheme and not directly through the dealer. What are your thoughts on this?

My view is that if BMW, etc want me to (or rather the lease company) to buy one of their vehicles then test driving from a dealer is the only way I’m going to be able to do it. I’m going to be reasonably honest and tell the dealer I 100% will not be purchasing anything that day, but probably won’t say I’m looking to get it on a separate scheme. Will also be genuinely interested in any deals they have as if they work out cheaper (probably wont) then I would go that route. Just having a minor ethical worry about it…

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t lease companies usually lend you the cars to see if you like them? And possibly for an extended period thereby letting you learn a lot more about the car…?

The dealer isn’t a public test drive facility for the manufacturer, it’s a franchise business whose time you are wasting…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m going to be reasonably honest

What’s the point? If I were the salesman, I’d not let you take it out to be honest. Not sticking up for them, but you’re going to string them along, you might as well string them all the way if you want a decent drive. And there’s no need to tell him you’re not purchasing that day – you can keep all that to yourself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

As per Darcy. If you’re going to be a ****, you might as well do it properly. Tell them if you like the car, you may consider buying another 8 for your wives….as after all, you are the king of Denmark’s brother-in-law!

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive test drove quite a few cars at dealers and then bought privately. They know you might buy elsewhere so no need to go in and tell them.

Drac

When I’ve done that they’ve bent over backwards to provide me with a test drive, the lease companies use local garages to provide the car. The lease company I use every year has a family fun day where local garages bring cars for people to look at so they can order their next one. So just go along be honest with them.

Kryton57

How about postioning your intentions and offering them the opportunity to match it via one of their “Options” type deals?

lodious
    Free Member

Don’t tell him. When he starts pestering on the phone, politely explain you liked the car, but have decided to take it on lease. Nothing wrong with that. By the time you have had a test drive, there is a good chance you think he’s a scum sucking bellend anyway, so even less of an issue.

thepurist

I’ve never had a problem with test driving from a dealer. As above they’ll tend to get the servicing work anyway and don’t seem bothered by the fact you’re not a direct buyer.

surfer
    Free Member

My last lease car was sourced from the local dealership. I insisted on it and the lease company obliged. I also took it there for servicing.

Drac

They’ll try that too Kryton yes so well worth mentioning and as said they will be the garage you will likely use for servicing hence why they’ll be happy to oblige. Of course you may get an obnoxious salesman who won’t let you take one out. I can’t imagine the manager or service department being happy when they find out why you won’t go there for a service though because of a salesman not letting your try a car.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’m always honest with the dealer when I go for a test drive when I’m getting a new company car, but I make it clear that they will get all the servicing work so they know there is something in it for them. I use this as a sort of dealer test, if they get arsey about it then It’s just another reason not to get the car if that’s the level of customer care I can expect.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Test Drive but won't be buying from dealer’ is closed to new replies.