Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Tesla on impossible engineering now 8pm "yesterday"
  • blastit
    Free Member

looks worth a watch

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Recording it to watch later, should be good. The Millau Bridge is on after as well.

jimjam
    Free Member

Dangerously overpowered cars. Far too fast for the public roads, no one should be allowed to own or use one outside of a race track.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eh?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Dangerously overpowered cars. Far too fast for the public roads, no one should be allowed to own or use one outside of a race track.

Are you on crack dude?

votchy
    Free Member

Are you on crack dude?

Have you seen the acceleration on them in hooligan mode?

They do appear to be incredibly overpriced for their lack of attention to detail and poor use of materials, the benchmarking we have done on them puts them in the ‘Ford’ category of Craftsmanship, so not as good materials, design or build quality as a Kia/Hyundai.

jimjam
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Eh?

newrobdob – Member

Are you on crack dude? [/quote]

700BHP, 1070 newton metres of torque. An accidental twitch of the right foot would see you doing 60mph in 2.2 seconds. Plus it’s totally silent.
    No one needs that kind of gratuitous power on the public roads. You might as well be driving a bomb.

They are even encouraging you to drive irresponsibly, the driving modes are called insane mode and ludicrous mode. If those names aren’t intended to invoke the frustrated boy racer within every programmer and I.T consultant (and encourage them to risk lives) then I don’t know what is.

No one needs more than 100bhp.

project
    Free Member

Hugely overpriced cars, made in a bright modern factory, by robots and humans, hopefully the technology will become affordable to the average private hire driver.

The new battery factory looks awesome.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

No one needs more than 100bhp

Are you in your 40’s? Live with your mum? Wear cartoon pyjamas and still wet the bed?

You need at least 300bhp to make the roads come alive 😆

bensales
    Free Member

jimjam said:
    700BHP, 1070 newton metres of torque. An accidental twitch of the right foot would see you doing 60mph in 2.2 seconds. Plus it’s totally silent.

You’ve obviously not actually driven one. The accelerator is less sensitive than my normal boring ‘executive’ ICE car, and you really have to try hard to get it to do that 0-60.

And I know you’re taking the mick 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Who cares? Piss off to Petrolheads for your wankefst

jonnyboi

But is it laterally stiff yet vertically compliant?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basically they needed something that would sell well and fast to get where they are now. The electric motor gives it the different characteristics so people need to adapt. It was interesting seeing how many were in utah when I was there and how well accepted electric cars were becoming. It does help they are made there.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Yes, but it needs bigger wheels

molgrips
    Free Member

They do appear to be incredibly overpriced

So it’s like this. Lots of batteries are expensive. All the sensible manufacturers are hitting this problem. Electric cars are great small runarounds, but the fact is that the cost of the batteries makes them expensive.

A car with enough batteries in to do 250 miles was always going to cost a lot of money. However what Tesla did that was clever was simply use thick enough wire to move enough current to make it go really fast and then pitch the car alongside supercars which suddenly justifies the price. Making powerful electric motors is easy, and lots of batteries has always been able to produce a lot of power. By making a premium sportscar the’ve just covered up the cost of the batteries.

That’s why the interiors are so shit and they are so badly made. Most of that £60k is going into the batteries and not into the quality of the car as it would be with Mercedes &co. But it’s done its job and made people respect the idea of an electric car.

The real impossible engineering is to make a cheap decent electric car, and Tesla have not done that, no-one has. All we have is blind faith in the technology getting cheaper. It won’t get significantly cheaper or better until someone makes a quantum leap forward with a new type of battery.

votchy
    Free Member

Most of that £60k

😆 😆 😆 and what about the other £40k+ the fleet of Tesla S we have at work are all £100k+

Gowrie
    Free Member

All we have is blind faith in the technology getting cheaper. It won’t get significantly cheaper or better until someone makes a quantum leap forward with a new type of battery.

Well look here – https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640-width/20170819_WOC913.png
    Has done for cost and predictions are that it will continue to do so.

legend
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member

Allegedly their SUV is going to be stable yet playful when it comes out

JAG

Tesla Vs Motor Industry

is the same as…

Apple Vs Microsoft

Same old product in a slightly different package 8)

Speeder

votchy – Member
    Are you on crack dude?

They do appear to be incredibly overpriced for their lack of attention to detail and poor use of materials, the benchmarking we have done on them puts them in the ‘Ford’ category of Craftsmanship, so not as good materials, design or build quality as a Kia/Hyundai.

The acceleration is simply for marketing nothing grabs headlines like the outrageous,

Tesla’s not about the “soft touch plastics” that every German car lover seems obsessed with, it’s about the industry disruption and the doing things faster than everyone else with far fewer resources.

Ok it helps that they’re starting from scratch and don’t have to maintain and update a vehicle range every year so they can concentrate on the new but they’re really putting the rest of the car industry to shame right now.

footflaps

Tesla Vs Motor Industry

is the same as…

Apple Vs Microsoft

Same old product in a slightly different package

A good analogy, pre iphone no one made touch screen phones (bar the odd experiment), post iphone that’s pretty much all you can buy (in smartphone market).

Tesla is doing the same for electric only cars….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Current Teslas are expensive because they have had to start from scratch, don’t they make a loss on each car currently?

Power is good ! Bu you have to change it in to that mode to get the power, You can leave it in that mode because the battery drains instantly and overheats

It will be interesting when the main stream manufacturers start bringing out fully electric cars next year

footflaps

You can leave it in that mode because the battery drains instantly and overheats

It limits how often you can use Ludicrous mode based on battery temperature.

The battery pack has integrated heating / cooling to keep them at optimum operating temp.

The most impressive bit is the fuse, they couldn’t find a reliable 1500 Amp fuse, which could blow quick enough, so the solution is an explosive charge fuse fired by a current sense circuit.

Del

didn’t know that! 8)

model 3 here next year, haterz… 😆

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Del – think it’s going to be 2019 before they do the model 3 in left hand drive. Gets great reviews on the first drives 🙂

racefaceec90

just don’t google lightning 218 then [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=V9FOnkSLFBw[/video] 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It will be interesting when the main stream manufacturers start bringing out fully electric cars next year

Wait, so Renault, Nissan and BMW aren’t mainstream?

They’ll struggle because they are trying to make cars for normal people, not £100k (or whatever they are!) sports cars.

legend
    Free Member

Del – Member
    model 3 here next year, haterz…

Single engined pleb-mobile

😉

winston
    Free Member

“The real impossible engineering is to make a cheap decent electric car, and Tesla have not done that, no-one has”

Actually….Chevrolet of all people has. Pity they don’t import it in to the UK but my brother in law has one in Holland and its fantastic. £25k Euro after subsidy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s called the Ludicrous mode and you have to pay a good chunk extra for it.

I’m assuming you’re taking the piss with this:

No one needs that kind of gratuitous power on the public roads. You might as well be driving a bomb.

But I ride a motorbike and you’re talking drivel. The thottle does what you tell it to, no more, even on a powerful sportsbike it just doesn’t happen.

To be fair, I see quite a few Teslas on the road on my commute. I’d say they’re one of the most responsibly driven cars out there. 🙂
    I’d have one like a shot if I had the money.

seosamh77
    Free Member

dunno why youse are talking about the price, surely that has nothing to do with impossible engineering?

The price is just a matter of time and bulk manufacturing surely? Hardly an engineering challenge.

votchy
    Free Member

but they’re really putting the rest of the car industry to shame right now.

Are they? In what way?

teethgrinder

£25k is not cheap. Even relatively.

Though I’d still have a Tesla with a Bonkers-fast mode is it was offered to me.

winston
    Free Member

No its not cheap but then a Golf GTI is roughly the same size car with roughly the same performance and roughly the same level of kit and guess what….its £25k

molgrips
    Free Member

The price is just a matter of time and bulk manufacturing surely? Hardly an engineering challenge.

Hahah yes, this is what everyone says, but in this case it’s not true. Battery powered cars have been possible for many years. The issue is with making them good value for money at purchase time. Tesla solved this problem in a different way, by adding more perceived value instead of reducing the money.

Smart marketing choices (note I don’t mean advertising) not impossible engineering.

No its not cheap but then a Golf GTI is roughly the same size car with roughly the same performance and roughly the same level of kit and guess what….its £25k

Yes, but you can get a lower spec Golf for less. You can’t get a lower spec Tesla for less. You can also get VWs at varying price levels down to £8,340. When you can get a new Tesla for that price, that’ll be an achievement.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I always wonder what the resale market is going to be like for these cars. If batteries need to be replaced, I.e half the value of the car. Who is going to take a punt on that?

vintagewino
    Free Member
    teethgrinder

And a 2004 Honda Civic 1.7 cdti is £1k, does 53mpg, has already been made. Yes, it uses Satan’s tears for fuel, but it get’s me to work and back (80 miles round trip a day).

We could move closer to my work, but then that’d mean moving further from her work and the kids schools. She’d have to commute that distance or get a new job.

I totally understand the need to reduce reliance on fossil fuels for power generation and transport. But not at £25k.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

So is that a 30 grand loss in 2 years?

Prob about normal then.

What happens when the reach their estimated battery life?

Edit just saw the supercharging thing.

vintagewino
    Free Member

Tesla batteries have an infinite mile / 8 year warranty on them. I’m not sure about the other manufacturers. The actual usable battery life is probably a lot longer, but Nissan (I think) is trialling a system where they take car batteries and repurpose them for home use once their performance drops below a certain output.

Anyway, bangernomics aside I don’t think the useable life of the battery is a constraint on the overall life of EVs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Tesla on impossible engineering now 8pm "yesterday"’ is closed to new replies.