Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tesco's wine buyer is rubbish…
  • igm

OK my own fault I know, but I grabbed a couple of bottles of wine when I was picking up the Leffe (it’s on offer) in Tescos the other night.

The Gigondas was fine, but the Crozes-Hermitage has (as I noticed when I got home) a “Selected by Tesco” and “Tesco Finest” label on it.

Now I know not to buy anything that says “Tesco Finest” on it – it’s uniformly poor.

But, why is everything that has a “Tesco Finest” label on it worse than you would expect for the price?

The only answer – Tesco’s wine buyer is rubbish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only answer – Tesco’s is rubbish.

FTFY

igm

Indeed, Flashy – but it’s annoyingly handy.

Bez

Tesco is **** for wine. On the other hand, in eight years of shopping at Waitrose I’ve only ever bought one bottle I didn’t like.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve bought plenty of shit bottles of wine in Waitrose. I just didn’t convince myself they were lovely because I had.

igm

Both our Waitrose stores are round the other side of town – Tesco is handier and if you stay away from the Finest junk, some of it is drinkable.

trailmonkey

Seems to me that all of the major super markets have far less variety than they used to have say 8-10 years ago. The wine sections of our local Sainsbury’s and Tesco cover about half of the floor space that they used to.

The local vinter in Totnes is much better than the supers anyhow.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Seems to me that all of the major super markets have far less variety than they used to have say 8-10 years ago. The wine sections of our local Sainsbury’s and Tesco cover about half of the floor space that they used to.

Probably cos they’ve managed to kill off the smaller wine stores (oddbins?) and no longer have to compete….

edhornby

just get a load of wine as you drive back from the alps

find a local independant wine merchants and buy regularly from them, you’ll get the good stuff

http://www.dbyrne-finewines.co.uk/

igm

Got over 150 bottles in a 406 once coming back. The handling was interesting and there wasn’t much suspension travel left – you wouldn’t think 200-300kg extra would make that much difference.

hora
    Free Member

Tescos buys on a formula/equation of price v ‘look’ of labellng. Horse traders IMO.

Shop elsewhere or do you like supporting wanton expansion?

Zeffirelli
    Free Member

There’s a wealth of independent wine merchants out there so you shouldn’t have to go to Tescos.

Oddbins brought a lot of it on themselves though. They tried to compete on price with the supermarkets, dumbed themselves down and ultimately paid the price.

We sell to D Byrne and I was in there last week, it’s an absolutely fantastic wine shop. The kind of place that you could spend ages looking at all they have to offer.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Wine? What’s that?

Sour grapes?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

igm – Member
    Got over 150 bottles in a 406 once coming back. The handling was interesting and there wasn’t much suspension travel left – you wouldn’t think 200-300kg extra would make that much difference.
    POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I make that 112.5 kg (150 75cl bottles)

EDIT – plus the weight of the glass I guess… No idea about that part hmmmm

ciderinsport
    Free Member

250 bottles and a formed concrete bbq (1/4 ton) in the back of a week old toyota avensis estate 4 years ago!
    Love lease cars…!

bassspine
    Free Member

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tesco's wine buyer is rubbish…’ is closed to new replies.