Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Tescos. are there companies worse than them?
  • princessalbert
    Free Member

i used to hate tescos, i wasn’t sure why, probably something to do with that huge wittering-fool bloke…

we tried online ordering from them recently and i can confirm that they are better than asda (who appear to employ blind pickers), better than sainsburys and not quite as good as ocado but they charge too much for a service that is not better by the same proportion.

tescos are therefore my new best friends. their shops however are full of peasants and should be avoided.

i hope that answers your question hora, how’s your wife bingo?

LMT
    Free Member

Ref Project:

Bags are an issue, the main reason is we changed suppliers, the new ones are stronger, there was a watchdog report 8 weeks ago? and the end result was new stronger bags.

The other issue is customers refuse to buy bags for life or even use the free bags again, if more did this then the free bags would be more available for those ad-hoc unplanned trips to the shops. As it stands customers refuse to re-use, which is daft as a few weeks ago most stores gave away thousands of bags for life, but very few have been re-used.

hora
    Free Member

Or another supplier offered them stronger for a lower price?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

there was a watchdog report 8 weeks ago? and the end result was new stronger bags.

I saw that Watchdog report……I remember being mortified to learn that Tesco disposable shopping bags weren’t the best in the supermarket business. I think Sainsbury’s were rated better, and I recall thinking “Oh the shame” 😐

But now you say the end result is that Tesco is getting new stronger bags ? Well this provides yet another example of just how committed Tesco is in satisfying the needs of the British people 🙂

My God, I love Tesco……I think a political party should be set up to fight for greater involvement of Tesco in our lives ….. to establish Britain as the world’s first Tescocracy. Maybe have Dame Shirley Porter as an “Evita type” figurehead leader.

hora
    Free Member

Or maybe the supplier was driven so hard on price that the quality dropped?

On a general note I’ve noticed the quality of meat across Asda and Tesco’s has dropped. You seem to get more rind on your bacon, grissle and the sausages on the whole at Tesco’s are horrid things.

What also irritates me about Tescos are the signs proclaiming ‘value’ etc when there really isn’t value to shout about.

Morrisons does it much better.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or maybe the supplier was driven so hard on price that the quality dropped?

No, Tesco reasons for having bags thinner than their competitors was concern for the environment. It’s a delicate balancing act satisfying the needs of your customers and the needs of the environment you know, and obviously Tesco took it more seriously than Sainsburys.

Still, in the end the environment lost out ……… which is probably how it should be.

project
    Free Member

LMT,I have never been give a free bag for life, but to run out of bags nationally is a bit sad.Thanks for the answer, oh and Tesco do seem to try harder to please.

hora
    Free Member

No, Tesco reasons for having bags thinner than their competitors was concern for the environment. It’s a delicate balancing act satisfying the needs of your customers and the needs of the environment you know, and obviously Tesco took it more seriously than Sainsburys.

Still, in the end the environment lost out ……… which is probably how it should be.

So land-grab, expand/cover as much as possible is no where near the scale of enviromental waste then?

They have a huge store in central Huddersfield. Why knock down the huge public sports centre and build a new store there then knock down their own store?

Why raise a perfectly good set of buildings and green space to build a 150,000 square foot store?

Doesn’t this have some sort of environmental impact?

Nice troll though. 6.5/10.

Simon-E

Tesco built a store in Stockport. It was subsequently found to be alot bigger than they were giving original planning permission for.

Deja vu. They did the same with the massive Tesco Extra in Shrewsbury. Shropshire Council rolled over and said “no problem” to retro planning permission.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2010/11/01/letter-shropshire-council-is-without-conviction-over-planning-rules/

Supermarkets are big enough to bully suppliers and force other retailers into closure. If you’re either of those you may have a very different perspective to shoppers or shareholders.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Cheap is King sadly! Tesco rule the roost here. Get over it>

Pieface

Tesco is not cheap though.

project
    Free Member

[/quote]Simon E – Member

Tesco built a store in Stockport. It was subsequently found to be alot bigger than they were giving original planning permission for.

Deja vu. They did the same with the massive Tesco Extra in Shrewsbury. Shropshire Council rolled over and said “no problem” to retro planning permission.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2010/11/01/letter-shropshire-council-is-without-conviction-over-planning-rules/

Supermarkets are big enough to bully suppliers and force other retailers into closure. If you’re either of those you may have a very different perspective to shoppers or shareholders.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

The one quoted in Shrewsbury, is on a brownfield site the home to the old cattle market, Tesco then built a brand new one just up the road, sadly they built a stupuidly small roundabout to get into the catle market, Tesco also created a lot of work on the site, as well as in the shop,pity they didnt have anything to do wuith the stupid troad system outside that resulted in a death last year.
    Oh and there is the pub that caught fire and was knocked down to be rebuilt as a new supermarket for a rival retailer to Tesco.

Simon-E

There is a mini Tesco (Express?) a mile or so towards town, in Ditherington. The new Tesco Extra is on the cattle market, the old Tesco site off Featherbed Lane is now bare concrete and tarmac. There is a crossroads with a set of lights at the entrance to the big Tesco Extra, it can be a long wait to get out while the lights go through their 4-way cycle.

Tesco may have created work (for whom?) but they still flouted the planning laws, as they have done elsewhere. Shropshire Council are puppets (or muppets).

The money people spend at Tesco would have been spent somewhere else, one store doesn’t magically create money in people’s pockets. Is it a coincidence that there are more boarded-up shops in the town centre than I can ever recall. I was working nearby Lancaster Road when the new store opened and Tesco were providing free buses to transport people to the store from other parts of the county. How can anyone compete with that?

Rumour was that the empty pub on the corner was set on fire deliberately, twice IIRC, enabling Lidl to acquire the site earlier than they would otherwise have done.

eth3er
    Free Member

There is one down the road from me, convenient and open late. I’m into my third month going everywhere else but tesco’s. I abhor their treatment of producers. I might not be changing the world, they might not notice my little boycott but by gods I sleep better and the smugness is worth the extra effort spending money at independents.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Tescos. are there companies worse than them?’ is closed to new replies.