Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tesco torch – nearest equivalent – must be AA powered
  • Rik
    Free Member

Had both my Tesco 2xAA torches stolen of the commuter. What’s the nearest cheap equivalent torch as it seems Tesco no longer do it, brighter or the same. Dont mind deal extreme but must be AA powered as I have a load of recharagable batteries already so I don’t want to change battery types.

Tried one of those shite £4 ones that were on here a few weeks ago (red and purple things) from china eBay and it was a step backwards.

Cheers

carbon337
    Free Member

Aldi 10 quid 3 yr guarantee.

No idea what power output though 3 watt or something.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought one from deal extream for about a tenner the year before last(bought 4 in fact). They were as bright as the £10 tesco torch and with a bit of bodgeing (the central tube was removable, drill hole in remainng caseing, solder wires in etc) I wired them up to run with remote batteries. Think theyre still there for about £6.

The £4 3xAAA from China one is actualy slightly brighter though, maybe looking at the tesco torches with rose tinted glases? The Tesco ones had a Q5 LED which has a theoretical 240lumens, my £4 one looks more like 300?

Or maybe a P7 torch, plenty of those on there as well.

Vapextech are good for high capacity re-chargables, the really high capacity ones do lose lot of charge if left unused though so best for chargeing up on the day. Saying that, they’ve been in my SLR for ages
    with continuous auto focusing and live preview.

avalanche
    Free Member

if you have an AA maglite lying around you can convert it to LED here http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/AA_LED_Upgrades.html

nickf
    Free Member

This is why I’ve spent a reasonably large amount on some Fenix torches – they don’t fail, the light output per lumen is excellent due to having a good reflector, and they have a good runtime.

mboy
    Free Member

The Tesco ones had a Q5 LED which has a theoretical 240lumens

Are you joking? The tesco ones actually have a Q5 in?

Back to back with my Trustfire Cree R2 (the next bin up from Q5, supposedly 250 lumens) with my Tesco torch, both on fresh batteries, and the Trustfire is as bright as the Tesco torch on full in its lowest setting! I’m guessing about 50-60 lumens… On its brightest setting, the Trustfire simply wastes the Tesco torch…

ampthill

mboy you like me have ended up ith a 1W not 3W Tesco torch…

Rik
    Free Member

Not really bothered about this and that lumens and bitching. Commuting light like the Tesco 2xAA it can’t be hard…….

MrT
    Free Member

I have one of these from CPC it’s labled 3W on the packet

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/hp-011/torch-led-black/dp/LA03225?Ntt=LA03225

grantway
    Free Member

Hello Lumenens is very important, being the brightness
    and visability it will give you
    rather have than a pocket of AA batteries

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tesco torch – nearest equivalent – must be AA powered’ is closed to new replies.