Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tesco seasonal food ….. ..from Peru ?
  • fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I was in Tesco yesterday and under a banner proclaiming SEASONAL FOOD ,they had some asparagus .

It was from Peru .

But Peru is in the southern hemisphere and it must be a different season there

Is seasonal not about buying local food ,in season

bikebouy
    Free Member

That ain’t local is it..

But Tesco’s food tends not to be local does it.

donsimon
    Free Member

That ain’t local is it..

It is for this dude.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s a little known fact that panpipes are made out of hollowed out asparagus stalks.

binners

In that photo, that Peruvian bloke has just bought a seasonal array of black pudding from Bury Market, which he has fashioned into a fountain

jota180
    Free Member

Seasonal to me would mean it’s something that has a peak season

So I guess calling it seasonal is appropriate

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do you think he plays in a small quartet, just outside a shopping center in Sheffield by any chance?

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you think he plays in a small quartet, just outside a shopping center in Sheffield by any chance?

As binners correctly identified, it is in fact Bury. The palm trees are the biggest giveaway to this fact.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bury Lancs?
    Bury Market?

Bury, just outside Cusco (could be cost co) Peru?

Nick

Just because it was grown in a greenhouse 8000 miles away doesn’t mean they weren’t lying though were they? It is a seasonal item and it is in season, we just live in a fuckedup world where it’s cheaper to ship it around the world than grow it in Lincolnshire.

What you want to look out for is a sign saying “Local produce” which you probably won’t find in Tesco.

binners

Indeed Don Simon. You will also have noticed the distinctive Spanish Colonial style architecture of Bury Town Hall. I’m sure you’re well aware, though some people may not know, that the Conquistadors used the Lancashire town as a sort of practice lap before laying waste to much of South America. As the incredibly popular Holcombe Brook Bullfighting league bears testimony too

bikebouy
    Free Member

2 CD’s £10.00 to you sonny..

“Panpipe Heaven”
    “Best of PanPipe Heaven”

br
    Free Member

we just live in a fuckedup world where it’s cheaper to ship it around the world than grow it in Lincolnshire.

And?

Surely better this way than artificial trade barriers where we overpay and/or they are unable to sell?

Nick

Who said anything about trade barriers, artificial or not?

I just think it’s mad that it’s cheaper to import food from 8000 miles away than grow it 80 miles away.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Its only cheaper in the short term.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Spent some time in Peru (and Bolivia) last year – some locals have been sucked in to the idea of growing a variety of crops for export (where they can earn a higher price). Unfortunately that then means there is less land area available to grow their own staple food crops, so the price of these (which affects everyone) has risen significantly because of local shortages. Quinoa is an example.

sam42
    Free Member

I wondered about that myself as I was filling them, (i work on produce at bury tesco)
    Anyone wanna give me a better job? (graduate design engineer suitable)

binners

Would it be cheaper to grow it here if we paid some people traffickers to put the pan pipe players underneath a lorry, to work for half minimum wage and live in a garden shed? That’s me being enterprising that! I’ll probably get an award from Dave and a multi-million pound contract with job centre plus!

binners

Serious point this? Have the American authorities not put money into these South American economies to get them growing alternative crops to the old nose-candy? If so,Tesco’s can normally smell a subsidy from…. Well… The other side of the world.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unfortunately that then means there is less land area available to grow their own staple food crops, so the price of these (which affects everyone) has risen significantly because of local shortages. Quinoa is an example.

Isn’t this how economies grow? The next stage is to find an even poorer country to supply Peru, no?

bikebouy
    Free Member

We could supply Peru with our Lincolnshire grown kale and basil, eggs from Yorkshire, watercress from Meon Valley, cheese from “that Cheshire” & somewhere over the Atlantic near the Azores there could be a fab salad.

I’m in, fec tescos.

binners

But who’s going to supply the new, emerging Peruvian middle classes with nose-bag and black puddings?

I get confused with this globalisation lark

Nick

Isn’t this how economies grow a few people get really rich while most stay poor? The next stage is to find an even poorer country to supply Peru, no?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do you think they know what humous is?

” thinks emerging markets for hunous ”

tonyplym
    Free Member

As Nick says – a few (mainly the merchants in the cities) get obscenely rich, while the vast majority find themselves priced out of buying the basic foodstuffs. Subsistence farming used to keep the majority fed . . . global trading steamrollers over far too many rural communities in far too many countries . . .

johnnystorm

My local Morrison sells Peruvian Asparagus in its new water-mist cabinets. There’s a drought on and they are spraying water throughout the day and I could literally throw a stone from my front garden and get it in an Asparagus field. Perhaps the local farmer should move into Coke if the Peruvians have stopped…. 😉

johnners
    Free Member

Unfortunately that then means there is less land area available to grow their own staple food crops, so the price of these (which affects everyone) has risen significantly because of local shortages. Quinoa is an example

Quinoa is their staple food? Poor buggers.

donsimon
    Free Member

Poor buggers.

I’ll have yours if you don’t want it, love quinoa, me.

mbl1
    Free Member

This thread is a real let down. I was hoping Tesco had started to stock the delicious cuy. Mmmmmmm cuy. 😀

IdleJon

johnnystorm – Member
    My local Morrison sells Peruvian Asparagus in its new water-mist cabinets.

My local Morrison’s is barely capable of keeping it’s soap fresh, never mind running anything like a water mist cabinet!

highclimber
    Free Member

I think a lot has to be said about demand for dirt cheap produce from consumers and the fact that a lot of farmer’s land has been flooded in the unseasonable wet weather we’ve had in recent weeks!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think a lot has to be said about demand for dirt cheap produce from consumers and the fact that a lot of farmer’s land has been flooded in the unseasonable wet weather we’ve had in recent weeks!

This isn’t the place for such logical thoughts! Begone!

😉

Valid point, actually, especially in re the UK asparagus season. It’s been awful.

yunki
    Free Member

thinks emerging markets for hunous

I’d try hunous.. it sounds exotic, like humous but weirder.. what’s in it..?

bikebouy
    Free Member

solidified egg white from a dodo..

“tuts, like you didn’t know already”

binners

I’d just like to add that The Peruvian asparagus and Guatemalan sugar snaps I’ve just cooked with my pork in cider casserole were delicious. Not only that but I’ve got the chance to say Guatemala repeatedly! Which is good because it’s one of the best words ever!

Guatemala Guatemala Guatemala! Yay! 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tesco seasonal food ….. ..from Peru ?’ is closed to new replies.