Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Tesco moving sweets and chocolate away from tills – at last
  • totalshell

glad the OP has noticed . i was part of a group that implemented this in tesco in the mid 90’s..

paladin

Local Tesco has them near the tills, but they’ve set the prices at something like 60p each or 3 for £1.20
    ….so you can’t even buy 1, you need to buy 3

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t think you have/need to buy 3.

paladin

Better value to buy 3. And everyone shops at Tesco for the great value surely ?

Drac

You don’t even have to buy any, it’s a radical new idea I know but it seems to work.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are they reducing the size of beer bottles and capping each purchase at 1/2 pint as well?

Perhaps they could allocate an advisor to each shopper to ensure we are only able to make sensible choices. We need to have our hands held after all.

Drac +1

Jamie
    Free Member

Better value to buy 3. And everyone shops at Tesco for the great value surely ?

Yes, but value doesn’t always have to be the main metric. Especially if one gets out of breath loading their shopping onto the conveyor belt.

paladin

Drac – Moderator
    You don’t even have to buy any, it’s a radical new idea I know but it seems to work.

Yes! My point was that they’re not happy with encouraging folk (especially with kids) to buy just one sweet, they want them to buy 3 and do so by hiking up the price of individual items but then adding a multibuy deal which makes it look good value to buy 3

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Replace the confectionary with contraception by the tills, nips this little problem in the bud.

Yak

Nothing to do with hand-holding or being self-righteous and displaying the levels of self control I’d expect from a forum of mountainbike athletes 😉

Store layout and product placement does work, along with piped tasty smells, oversized food images and other ways of stimulating senses. If it didn’t directly result in increased sales, then it wouldn’t happen and they would just stack the shelves in the most efficient way possible.

So is it corporately irresponsible to use techniques that result in greater sales of sugary products? It is good marketing to make a huge fuss over moving sweets away from the tills as it could influence where hassled parents shop. Obviously a short-lived gain as the rest will follow. You will probably find there’s a new and also fairly inappropriate site for the sweets though along with increased in-store marketing to suit. So the sweetie status quo will probably come back anyway.

Right then – nearly snack time and all this talk of sweets….

Drac

You will probably find there’s a new and also fairly inappropriate site for the sweets though along with increased in-store marketing to suit. So the sweetie status quo will probably come back anyway.

Such as on the end of the aisles where they do the share packets for £1 or multipacks of chocolate bars for £1. Yet some how I still only buy them when I feel like having some.

Yak

Yet some how I still only buy them when I feel like having some.

Its not about the individual or whether person x is strong willed or not. There will be sufficient persons Y who will view the offer as a good deal and will buy it. Hence the increased footfall positions of the end of aisle promotional locations.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Shop online.

If you want to recreate the supermarket experience by putting a jumbo bucket of haribo next to your laptop, that’s up to you.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tesco moving sweets and chocolate away from tills – at last’ is closed to new replies.