Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tesco goods more expensive instore than online , anything i can do..
  • crazant
    Free Member

Now its not about the money although it did cost my son his weeks spending money…but he has just been instore to buy the latest Eminem Cd and paid £9.87 i have just had an email of Tesco and they are selling it online for £5.97 delivered, I know it only 4 quid but is this right….
    He has the receipt but they won’t take Cd’s back and it wasn’t in a sealed case …
    Any thoughts

nickc

tell your son to shop around first?

AFAIK, shops don’t have to sell the same thing for the same price in two different locations, I would have thought a place like Tesco would refund the difference if you asked nicely though

zokes
    Free Member

Serves him right for buying a CD. Don’t all teenagers ‘illegally’ download their muzak these days? 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s always been the case.

Shops have higher overheads etc.

cp

doubt there’s anything you can do… it’s not illegal – loads of places do it.

crazant
    Free Member

Yes i know buts he’s one of these have to have it now kind of guys, He hates me spending ages on the net trying to save him 50p 🙂 but £4 quid , its even more when you think they have to post it…..
    Might go into store and ask them to explain it….
    Cheers

finbar
    Free Member

It’s cheaper online because there are more competitors in that market. Simple economics.

jim
    Free Member

Don’t they do the online selling from Jersey to avoid tax? If so I don’t see how they could make them as cheap in store.

aP
    Free Member

The difference is almost certainly because the online order is processed via the wonderful tax-free Channel Islands, whereas the physical sale is subject to UK taxes.
    Of much more importance is why you’re buying things from the store “never-actually-owned-by-Dame-Shirley-Porter”.

odannyboy
    Free Member

I return cds to sainsburys no probs.dont even quibble it.such a close market now they need to do all they can to beat the web.

traildog
    Free Member

You’re moaning in the wrong place. Write a letter to Tescos. They will probably refund the 4quid for the sake of keeping you happy.

BigDummy
    Free Member

he’s one of these have to have it now kind of guys

So the £4 is a premium that he pays for instant gratification. Are you seriously trying to suggest that there is something strange about that? 😯

crazant
    Free Member

No what happened was he came to help me out a work today and said could he have a tenner of his money to get the new CD, now usually if at home i would try to find it cheaper for him, but by the time I had received the email from Tesco he had already gone and bought it….
    And just because he wants things quick doesn’t give Tescos the right to charge nearly double for the same item….
    If he had bought it at Tesco and then i had found it on Play.com for £4 cheaper then thats ok nowt i can do… but from the same company!!! I just feel its a bit of a rip thats all…..

aP
    Free Member

Its because they’re sold via a tax-free loop hole which is about to be closed – nothing to do with ripping you off.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

£4 for instant gratification? She must be a right minger!

Aren’t Tesco shops & the mail order (the Jersey one) different companies, albeit with the same parent company?

BigDummy
    Free Member

And just because he wants things quick doesn’t give Tescos the right to charge nearly double for the same item….

Yes, I am afraid it does. Except possibly in some nebulous moral sense that they could be forgiven for not caring about. 🙂

donald
    Free Member

Of course it does. You’re focusing on the product. You need to take the account the cost of different delivery methods. Real physical Tesco shops don’t build or staff themselves. Your lad chose the expensive but quick delivery method.

nickc

And to make matters worse. the album’s not even that good…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seems very odd to argue about this IMO. I dont really see where your argument lies – shops cost more to run than warehouses, if you want the CD now you go and buy it in the shop and pay more, if you want it cheap you buy it online and have it delivered.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes i know buts he’s one of these have to have it now kind of guys

Pre-ordering usually means you get it on day of release.

boobs

Not that it’s music related. My local bike shop (Pedal On, Tadley) will match it’s web price in store, which is nice. d:^)

chomp
    Free Member

buy it online for him, then when it’s delivered take that copy back to Tesco’s and get a refund on the unopened copy. Split the refund between you and hey presto he’s not lost on £4, and you’ve stuck two fingers up to the evil that is Tesco

Alternatively, steal his receipt, buy online, then take it back and pocket the fiver. Hey presto, you’re a fiver up, and he’s learnt an important lesson in life 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Stop shopping in supermarkets, it’s the only way….

dooosuk
    Free Member

You have the right to buy it elsewhere. You chose not to exercise that right and pay what they were charging.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tesco goods more expensive instore than online , anything i can do..’ is closed to new replies.