Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Terrace House Etiquette?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

So… my neighbour is singing fairly loudly at 11:20pm… she’s got an alright voice to be fair but personally I’d have probably held off until the morning or more social hours if I had her talent.. Weirdly they have some young kids so god know’s how they don’t get woken up…

Am I right thinking it’s a little rude / odd?
    Should I take that as fair reign to use the washing machine / tumble dryer at that hour even though I know the sound will travel next door?
    Do I mention it to them in a polite “oh you’ve got a lovely voice” way?
    Should I polish a pair of bombers just incase?

ianfitz
    Free Member

I used to live next door to a classically trained violinist. She mainly played in the daytime but it was amazing!

1!.20 is a bit late, is it a regular thing or has drink been taken…

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I would be more worried about whatever activity is going on that she needs to cover it up with a bit of singing

molgrips
    Free Member

She probably doesn’t realise how well the sound travels. If you’re quiet – how would she know?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Late for some folk isn’t late for others.
    Personally I always try to ensure washing machine etc always finish before 11pm 95% of the time, and never after midnight.

If its just a 1 off, then personally I don’t find 11:20pm that big a deal – if it was every day, then i’d go have a polite word.

BigJohn

Stand next to the wall and shout out requests. She’ll either get the message or you’ll save yourself £10 a month on Spotify subs.

wallop

Give her a round of applause when she’s finished.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Practice your Dennis Roussos impressions at 11.30pm.

argoose
    Free Member

Duet

senorj

We lived in a flat that had drama students move in upstairs.
    One of them used to practice her scales at night -“la ,la ,la,la la”,
    She had a lovely voice – but soon stopped when I started singing the scales back at her… 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I woukd ask her politely if she could practice earlier or in a different part of her house. If if bothers you then music or tv turned up. As above 11:30 could be late for some people depends on when they have to be at work

ctk
    Free Member

1 off? Leave it if so.

TheBrick
    Free Member

After 10 is late to me. I k ow plenty of people Re up later but to expect people to be up later is rude.

enfht
    Free Member

Shout ‘RUBBISH’ whenever she finishes a song and she’ll soon get the message.

Cougar

If you need a line in the sand for how late is “too late,” it’s illegal to sound your car horn between 11:30pm and 7:00am, so I don’t think it’d be unreasonable to expect a bit of hush from neighbours at those times also.

Personally I use 11pm as my self-imposed cutoff for turning off the amp and suchlike, if I’m noisy past that time then it’s unintentional. Seems to work, I’ve not had any complaints. Though I suppose they could be talking about me on a web forum somewhere.

Is it actually causing you a problem beyond “gosh, that’s a bit late”? It doesn’t sound like it’s keeping you awake if you’re contemplating starting a load of laundry. If it is, have a quiet word as they’re probably unaware (or can hear you clomping about and assume it’s fine as you’re still up). If not, well, so what?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d move to a detached house! 😉

jimbobo
    Free Member

we had a singer next door. I just joined in for the chorus’s. soon stopped

kayla1
    Free Member

Accompany on rawk guitar (turned up to 11, natch)? 😀

rogermoore

I bet a tenor it doesn’t happen again.
    RM.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ll C your tenor and raise you a bag of quavers.

alexxx
    Free Member

Haha – no it doesn’t particularly bother me – It perplexes me more as they have young children who should have most likely been in bed by 8ish tops.. so wondering why they are making a noise that the neighbours can hear so late?

I was more trying to work out if its “fair game” to do a load of washing late without feeling guilty that the noise will be travelling into their house. (their bedroom is in the room opposite my wash room).

I don’t think I could do the singing back… sounds a bit passive aggressive.. not to mention I can’t hold a note!

Kryton57

Read “Night time noise” in the text below. I’d politely have a word, and if it doesn’t stop quote this and progress as necessary.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=70

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Singing? Pffft, lucky you, the girl next door got a new boyfriend –

Ah

Grunt

Ah

Grunt

Ah

Grunt

etc.

Pretty sure we resorted to rounds of applause, joining in (vocally obviously!) and various other ‘amusing’ things. I guess, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do when the mood takes you but this went on randomly at any and all times of the night until they split up a few months later….then we just had the sobbing and wailing!

MoreCashThanDash

Did he not take it well?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Did he not take it well?

PMSL!

In our old terraced house, a young couple moved in next door. A week of lots of very noisy sex, followed by absolutely nothing for 6 months except the occasional curtain twitch.
    Then suddenly one night, a massive scream followed by a slammed door.
    Next day, around 10am, the bloke reappears getting out of a taxi nursing a plastered broken arm and looking very sheepish while her indoors glared out of the window at him. They moved out shortly afterwards…

sirromj

I live in a basement flat. In the bedroom, we hear the guy above yawning very loudly as if he wants everyone to know he is tired – the only thing he need do next is append “I’m so tired” to the end. In the living room, just clomp clomp clomp bang bang bang for hours on end as they and their little sprog clomp about. Thinking about getting a contact mic hooking it up to the PC through a reverb/echo effect before the amp turned up loud – but don’t yet know enough about how.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Late common sense for some folk isn’t late common sense for others

FIFY 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Terrace House Etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.