Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Teresa May to privatise the NHS
  • footonthemountains
    Free Member

We seem to have a post on Donald Trump and one on Jeremy Corbyn So I thought I’d start 1 on Teresa May, and my opinion on her trying to bankrupt and back the NHS into a corner where the only way out is privatization

Any thoughts?

colournoise

Not her specifically. Just the endgame of what the Tories have been working towards for a while now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We have been discussing this at length in the other thread. Row in France as Government has asked hospitals to suspend all non-emergency surgery to ease pressure on the service this winter

Bankrupt it by significantly increasing spending year after year ?

fourbanger
    Free Member

The only reason we are hearing about NHS problems, is to try and drum up some support for an increasingly less popular brexit.
    That referendum was won on convincing high NHS dependancy voters, in areas where the NHS is stretched, that Out would free up money for the NHS.

oldnpastit

@Jambalaya – that graph is pretty meaningless since it’s in cash terms.

You could probably find a similar graph for the Zimbabwe health service….

The Conservatives may or may not be doing the right thing for the NHS, but graphs like that don’t help the discussion.

wiggles
    Free Member

Graph says things are more expensive now than in sixties, shocking 🙄

not even considering things like growing/ageing population.

It is obvious that they want it privatised, just like the railways that needed to be privatised because a public sector running them is “expensive and inefficient” so we pay other countries public sectors to run them for us and take all the profits abroad and subsidise their own rail networks (can also be applied to most utilities)

jambalaya
    Free Member

We have discussed this at length here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-to-cut-to-fund-the-nhs

Cash costs are relevant. Health costs are growing at double the rate of growth in the economy. Tories are delivering substantially more money to the NHS than Labour promised in their manifesto, 5 times the increase.

@slow middle of the pack here, big shortfall in the amount of private spending (due imo to poor manner of interaction between state and private in UK)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@Jambalaya – that graph is pretty meaningless since it’s in cash terms.

You could probably find a similar graph for the Zimbabwe health service….

You have completely missed the point.

The graph clearly shows that in the 1950s no money at all was being spent on healthcare whilst by 2020 vast amounts of money will be spent on healthcare.

The fact that it that it creates a totally inaccurate impression is completely irrelevant.

I don’t think you fully understand how the Tory mind works.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Anyway getting back to the claim that the Tories want to privatise the NHS, this is what the present Tory Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said :

“Our ambition should be to break down the barriers between private and public provision, in effect denationalising the provision of health care in Britain.”[/b]

Jeremy Hunt co-authored book calling for NHS to be replaced with private insurance

So you see no mention of “privatisation” just “denationalisation”…….a completely different word with different letters.

Nothing to worry about.

jambalaya
    Free Member

See the King’s chart. Our problem is we don’t integrate state and private like pretty much everywhere else.

Pretty much every post here is a duplicate of the other thread

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Groundhog day

rone

The Tories appear to have only one trick in their armoury. Privatise. How flawed is it when your ideology will one day dry up of things to sell?

It’s like me inheriting a Santa Cruz for free and looking smarmy when I get £500 for the wheels, and £250 for the fork. Haven’t we done well.

Where’s the skill in this?

Why can’t governments be less destructive and more creative?

rone

See the King’s chart. Our problem is we don’t integrate state and private like pretty much everywhere else.

I don’t think that is the problem. The problem is the mindset of needing things to make profit at the expense of a good public service.

Pharmaceutical industry is not public and delivers your integrated experience.

The trouble is the private industries like to sit on the back of public investment and research.

tjagain

The problem with the NHS comes down simply to underfunding. We spend 2/3 of the average of counties similar to ours on healthcare.

Tory policy is to privatise the NHS and underfunding and creating scare stories is their tactic

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Teresa May to privatise the NHS’ is closed to new replies.