Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tents with log burners.Any recommendations?
  • si66
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a decent 3-5 man tent to use as a base for bike trips
    I’d like to be able to use it in all weathers so something solid & compatible with a heater/fire/burner
    I’ve only ever used lightweight tents so don’t really know where to start
    Any recommendations would be much appreciated
    Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

A log burner in a tent is dangerous

you can get foldable woodburners to put in them but the smoke and the heat of the flue is a tricky thing to deal with

I know of no tent made to accommodate a wood burner

matt_outandabout

If I had £2k to spend on tent and stove, it would be a Helsport Valhall. They also make smaller hot tents as well.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Can I just confirm, we are talking “tent” as in – canvas temporary structure for camping in? – and we are talking “log burner” as in FIRE ?

matt_outandabout

I know of no tent made to accommodate a wood burner

There are loads!

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Wow that’s awesome, first time I’ve seen owt like that! Not sure the wife would ever agree though 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I had £2k to spend on tent and stove,

I’d be staying indoors in places with a nice log fire and kitchen with hot showers and comfy beds.

matt_outandabout

Yes, but that old be around others, and not in the wilderness, in comfort.

Go and look up tentipi, titanium goat stove and Kevin callan hot tenting….

[video]http://youtu.be/sSFZFCTex0Q[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

er that’s either NSFW or just wrong Matt

sweepy
    Free Member

Side question, how is the flue on the frontier stove Stoner, does it need cleaning often?

si- I’d look for a polycotton tent, I picked up an old cabanon pyramid that i’m putting a woodstove in. Provided you aren’t carrying it anywhere, it weighs a ton.

matt_outandabout

er that’s either NSFW or just wrong Matt

What is wrong with a Yorkshireman in speedos? 😯

Watch a few of Mr Callans vids, or even better read one of his books. It has a chapter on how to set up portable bar in th outdoors, another chapter on sex in canoes/tents/outdoors and another on how to sh*t outdoors like a pro…. Great reading.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

lots of tipi style ones on ebay.

Scapegoat

How about a 160 pounder? We used to have a pot belly stove in ours if we spent any time above the snow line, flue with heat shields. . Not exactly portable though. Search for r 160 pounder.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There are loads!

Well my knowledge is incomplete

TBH I assumed he meant something portable rather than a Yurt

sbob
    Free Member

Used to have a 7 man frame tent.
    Had many a BBQ inside the tent when it was raining but then it was massive, and took up a lot of boot space.
    When I say massive, I mean we parked my mates car inside the front half of the tent when it was raining as it leaked (at the Malvern Classics, if anyone here remembers it; quite a few people were interested in my parking style 8) ).
    My tent had two double zipped doors and we’d unzip the top 12-18″ which provided excellent smoke extraction.

The tent did get set on fire once, but that was with the BBQ outside the tent.
    I told them it was a silly idea.

si66
    Free Member

Cheers folks
    That’s a couple of good looking ones to get started with
    Not cheap though are they!

db

I have a Frontier stove (fantastic for the money – I would love a ti stove e.g. http://fourdog.com/view-all-tent-stoves but can’t justify the cost).
    I have used it with 1st a cheap lavvu tent and then a Tentipi for a number of years.

If weight is not an option and price is consider a big army frame tent;
    http://www.anchorsupplies.com/tents.html

There get a stove and flashing kit and you can camp 365 days a year in all conditions.

happy camping!

Stoner
    Free Member

sweepy – I darent look at the inside of the flue yet! 🙂
    Ive been burning all sorts of workshop crap in the stove…

I will probably dismantle it this summer and give it a brush out.

The frontier stove has held up pretty well in situ, but the moisture in the workshop (condensate and general damp air) does mean the stove steel rusts lightly a bit. I just give it a brush with some wire wool and a quick spray of stove paint to keep it looking good.

qwerty
    Free Member

5mtr bell tent

si66
    Free Member

That bell tent is exactly what I had in mind
    Cheers qwerty

edhornby

this thread is full of fail!
    if it’s not the middle of deep winter then you’re gonna be WAY too hot – and in the middle of deep winter you’re not going to have multi-day hiking plans, or if you are you’d be better off with a cabin or YHA etc. Also how much kit do you take ? the whole point of camping is to travel light, not carrying a log burner??

cut a square in the turf, have a fire in a pit in a safe place for keeping warm during the day and a good quality sleeping bag and tent

KISS 🙂

Ringo
    Free Member

Soul pad are excellent

BadlyWiredDog

We had a 9-person Tentipi with a firebox in one year at Mayhem, it was absolutely brilliant at 3 in the morning. Great tents, but very expensive.

AlexSimon

Our 9-man Tentipi Varrie (now called Safir I think) has been superb.
    I bought a titanium stove from the US when exchange rates (and ti prices) were favourable. We managed 6 people and the stove for a mountain bike weekend in Mabie and it worked out great.

My brother has the 7-man Arran (probably renamed, but the cheapest polycotton Tentipi) and that’s superb too. Still big enough to put the stove in, but only with 2 people really.

A friend has the Belltent and their cheap stove and it all works fine too.
    Bell tents are roomier because of the vertical walls, but take longer to pitch and aren’t as suitable for backcountry as the Tentipis.

Here’s some pics of ours:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/6qKm5K]Inviting warm glow[/url] by thingswelike, on Flickr

9-man at back, 7-man at front:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/6qPwKs]Morning tipis[/url] by thingswelike, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/538t7z]Tentipi Varrie 9 man + hammopck and tarp[/url] by thingswelike, on Flickr

A bit like Islabikes, Tentipis are really expensive but seem to hold their value extremely well.

AlexSimon

I think my friend has the 3-legged frontier stove mentioned above.
    Mine is the Fourdog Ti II. Here it is having it’s first burn in the garden (look at the lovely colours – oooooh):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/52UPgy]Fourdog titanium stove. First burn[/url] by thingswelike, on Flickr

My brother has had the Tentipi stove which was good (but very heavy) and I think now has the Helsport from here: http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9152412

petrieboy

We have a 5m ‘ultimate’ bell tent from these guyshere
    Had it 5 years or so now after a recommendation on here.
    It will take a stove fitting (but I have to say it sounds like a recipe for disaster)
    For everything else you ask for its brilliant. Easy to put up (15 minutes max and most of that is because I like to have the guy tension just so) plenty space, dry (never get condensation even with 8 people + dog sleeping in it) and its rock solid in wind. It is heavy tho, I wouldn’t want to carry it far. I don’t rember them being quite that spendy when I bought mine either, but id say still worth the money. Feels like something we’ll still be using in 20 years time.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tents with log burners.Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.