Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tents. Not what they used to be.
  • Spin
    Free Member

In the last 3 years I have returned:

A Vango Nitro 200 plus because the inner tent attachment points started to rip after a weeks touring.
    Its replacement (Nitro Lite 200+) was returned without even using it as the seams were not finished and there were many loose threads.
    A Lightwave G20 Trek – Leaky, impossible to pitch right and flysheet seams separating after a 3 week tour.
    A Wild Country Zephyros 1 – inner tent attachment points started to rip after about 6 or 7 uses.
    Its replacement was returned for the same reason (it started to rip after one use) plus one of the pole ends did not thread completely into the pole.

Have I just been unlucky or are tents a bit shit nowadays? All of the shops concerned replaced or refunded them without quibble.

I’ve now got a Hilleberg Nallo 2. Fingers crossed.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I pitched my hilleberg staika 120 times in 5 months. Not a single issue. So hopefully you should be good

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Buy a better tent.

Ah I see you did. That one will be grand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

Buy a better tent.

Sounds like he already has.

Cougar

That one will be grand.

It almost was.

Spin
    Free Member

Buy a better tent.

The thing is that some of the ones I had to return were RRP £300 or more and from reputable manufacturers. That should but you a better tent.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Good choice for a new tent should not fail you and if it does you can try a Helsport tent.

ampthill

I pitched my hilleberg staika 120 times in 5 months. Not a single issue. So hopefully you should be good

Some one on here said they are too heavy to count as a light weight tent

Ours will be in the use this summer. I bought it for a round the world trip in 1994

But to the OPs question. I think its a market where we have seen huge pressure on prices. I suspect another product has started to be sold on features not durability. As the masses do some occasional camping

Spin
    Free Member

I suspect another product has started to be sold on features not durability

Or weight.

slowoldman

No. They used to be canvas and weigh 14 tons.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

This is the summer of our discount tent?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tents. Not what they used to be.’ is closed to new replies.