Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tents – do semi geodesic really work without pegs?
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a new tent, 2-3 man, to give a bit more space than I have with my current 2 man tent, with 2x 6’+ adults, while still keeping the weight down and carry-able between two people.

I like the look of the semi geodesic tents as “they claim” then can can bet pitched without pegs, useful if you end up somewhere with difficult ground.

The Vango Mirage 300 looks like a great option, but I’m unsure what would happen to the porch fabric if you can’t peg out?? I’m assuming that it would just hang down against the inner door, and probably let water in?

Does anyone have any experience of these kind of tent, and know how they work without pegs? Is it an unrealistic expectation that they could work at all well without pegs?

N.B. Anything that free stands would be better than my current tunnel tent, which would be game over without pegs.

Thanks,

R

peterfile
    Free Member

Yes and no.

Once the inner structure is complete and weighted (e.g you’re in it) then it’s stable and won’t go anywhere.

On my Quasar, the outer attaches to four corners on the inner without pegging, which holds it securely to the inner. Due to the poles crossing, the outer wouldn’t really touch the inner, but the porches would obviously be flapping around. I just pull them taught and place a few rocks on them when camping somewhere that pegs won’t go in.

If you’re going to be camping in wet and windy weather, it’s not going to be ideal, but you’ll be dry. On terrain where pegs/buried bags aren’t an option then geodesic is really your only option afaik.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple like that. They are pretty stable without pegs. As you mentioned the porch might need a guy line to give it shape but it isn’t structural so you can use a rock. Nothing like a tunnel tent that is completely dependent on pegs.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that’s as I thought. Just wanted a word from someone who’s tried it.

Any other suggestions on alternatives to the Vango Mirage 300? I have a sudo budget of £200 and the Mirage at Go Outdoors comes in at a nice £127 at the moment, but something a little lighter than 3.6kg would be nice.

R

ebygomm
    Free Member

This is our semi geodesic pitched with a few rocks only. Bought for camping in the states where freestanding is often needed.

peterfile
    Free Member

Unless you spend significantly more, most geodesics are going to come in around 3-4kg+.

The Wild Country Trisar 3 is another option Linky

What type of camping are you planning on?

My Super Quasar weighs in at 4.5kg and is usually split between 2, so pretty heavy – but it’s almost almost essential (for me anyway) for some of the camping I do (summit stuff in winter).

I’ve just bought a Lightwave tent which is 2kg (tunnel) and suitable for everything other than silly weather stuff.

I’d have a look for used Quasars online too, you can pick up within budget.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Thanks guys, really useful stuff!

I don’t think I’m going to need the Quasar for what I do… currently 😉

I’m planning some wild camping in Snowdonia in a few weeks, not exactly Arctic conditions, but you want to be prepared. Chances are that pegs will go in fine, but also want to account for future use in America and Australia, so similar requirements to ebygomm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tents – do semi geodesic really work without pegs?’ is closed to new replies.