Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Tents: Decent, light, not cheap ones, for bike touring
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anyone got any of these and if so would you please pass comment on them:

Mountain Hardware Drifter 3
    Mountain Equipment DragonFly 3XT
    MSR Holler

Don’t suggest any others becasue I’ve picked the whole UK tent market to bits today and this is THE shortlist. Honest. I’m a tent geek now.

Thanks in advance
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you not get Marmot tents here then?

tiggs121
    Free Member

A tent geek and you haven’t shortlisted the Hilleberg Nallo or the Hilleberg Akto??

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Mountain hardwear tents are bombproof.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

you haven’t shortlisted the Hilleberg Nallo or the Hilleberg Akto??

Looked at them. Too small or too expensive.

SbZ, yes, that seems to be the general opinion. It’s the fave so far….

molgrips
    Free Member

MSR are my fave brand after Marmot, but I dunno about that one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you not get Marmot tents here then?

Ruled out.
    I really, really have kicked the arse out of this search!! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MSR are my fave brand after Marmot

Care to elaborate on that? 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Have you looked at Wild Country tents?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep.

Looked at around 30 different brands. I’m not bullshitting. I REALLY HAVE kicked the arse out of this search. That’s the shortlist up there. I’m looking for comments on those tents, or maybe similar models or general info on those 3 manufacturers. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Well. I’ve owned a North Face Westwind (back when it was light weight, not the modern incarnation), a MSR something (twin pole design like this:
    ) and a Marmot Aeros 3P.

The MSR was good – very roomy for a 2 person (two people could sit cross legged at each end), pitching was easy – hard to remove all the wrinkles though when pitching. Supplied alu pegs were good. It was probably a 2001 tent or thereabouts.

The Marmot is way better though. It weighs the same as the MSR and less than the North Face at about 2.5kg or so, and is a three man so is huge inside. Room to sit around, eat, get changed and all. Lighter fabrics and general construction than the others. Absolutely brilliant.

All Marmot stuff is ace 🙂

Baldysquirt

I assume this is for 3 people then? Or is the extra space because of getting bikes etc in?

Waderider
    Free Member

Snigger. Tent geek and no Hilleberg, as mentioned. Tent nerd then, maybe.

Check out the soulo as well as the older models. Have a picture of my Akto on the summit of Clisham last August.

Baldysquirt

If it’s for bikes, I really would consider the saunders galaxy. We toured with one across europe, middle east and africa. It’s not the ultimate in light weight (2.75kg), but can sleep 3 in the inner at a push, is huge for two people and can fit a bike and panniers (with enough room still to cook) in each of the two porches. You could get the outer up in about 2 mins and be inside hanging the inner out of the rain. Ours needs new zips now after a year of nearly daily use in some pretty grim conditions (especially sand storms) and another 6 years of weekend camping trips.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tent geek and no Hilleberg

Doesn’t fit my needs or budget. Simple. £400 is stretching it, and that’s what we can get the Mountain Hardware for. The Hilleberg prices are waaaay above that. I don;t need that quality and they’re hardly any lighter than the Mountain Equipment above.

I assume this is for 3 people then? Or is the extra space because of getting bikes etc in?

No, 2 people, but we need space to live and cook if the weather is bad and space for leathers, lids and panniers on the motorbikes 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Mountain Equipment DragonFly 3XT

I’ve had the two man equivalent for a few years now. Has never let me down in some of the more interesting weather the UK has to offer. It’s light, pretty much rock solid if pitched correctly, plus easy to pack and spread around a pack if required. You also get some cool anodized alloy pegs with little MA logos on, which to be honest is the only reason i bought it!

On a slight downside it can turn into a bit of a sauna in summer conditions, though what tent doesn’t.

If i was to buy again it would be a ME Dragonfly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why why’d you discount my fave then at £300? 🙂

EDIT Just seen you are motorbike touring. Surely you coudl go a bit heavier and more substantial/durable than these?

EDIT 2 I see the ME dragonfly for £350.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/mountain-hardwear-drifter-3-pid8173.html

That mountain hardwear tent for £180. You sure it’s the drifter 3?

And please never ever cook inside a tent. I have seen how quickly they set alight and the damage it causes to people.

Waderider
    Free Member

Okay, I accept your original choices. The only advice I can give you is that a pal had an MSR and it didn’t last as long as other tents of similar construction/price. If you’re on a motorbike heavier but quality might be better.

househusband

Yes I know that you say you’ve looked at all tents available in the UK… just like to check you’ve considered Helsport tents? They’re currently 20% off at Tamarack and, from the research I did several months ago, they are reputed to have the same quality as Hilleberg tents.

brooess
    Free Member

Wild Country Trisar

Pete, I have one of these which I want to sell. Barely been used, Glastonbury last year and about 5 nights total in Wales. Replaced it for a Terra Nova Voyager.

It’s not superlight but it is tough, stable and roomy. Comes with all guys, poles, pegs etc and always stored in a dry place and aired after use.

I’ll be down in London at some point in the next month which would save postage and can supply photos if yr interested. Email in profile.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Molgrips, Marmot Grid is too small, Asgard too expensive. Not a tough decision! 🙂

SbZ – http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Drifter+3?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=shopping

Saw it at that price in more than one place!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pete, I have one of these which I want to sell. Barely been used, Glastonbury last year and about 5 nights total in Wales. Replaced it for a Terra Nova Voyager.

Thanks for the offer but it’s nowhere near big enough 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

If I had the money at the moment the GoLite Shangri-La 3 http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product348.asp would be my tent of choice coupled with a mesh inner for buggy areas and this ground sheet for the rest of the time. http://www.oookworks.com/oooktubs.html

tent is just over 1.1 kg

ground sheet I don’t know but not a lot!

plus you can do away with the pole and use walking poles if you want to reduce the weight further.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

EDIT 2 I see the ME dragonfly for £350.

Link? 🙂

GoLite Shangri-La 3

No thanks. 🙂

Ringo
    Free Member

Terra nova laser is very good

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, no more suggestions please, I’ve given you the shortlist 🙂

ANy more comments on my 3?

DrP

He needs the extra room for the wheelchair…

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That would be funny if it wasn’t true. 🙁

DrP

I have the poster’s remorse… 😳

DrP

boblo
    Free Member

PP what was the spec you used to get to your shortlist?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Drifter looks tiny compared to the others, and I can’t see there’s much storage/living space

I’d go for the dragonfly out of the 3, if i was going for MSR I’d choose Mutha Hubba over the Holler

Waderider
    Free Member

Have to say I like the design of of the 3XT. The bad weather stability of a geodesic for the upwind living quarters and the weight and space efficiency of a tunnel tent for the porch.

I’d save up for a Hilleberg though. Sell a motorbike or something 😀

duckman

Fine with your list,but someday you will be setting up,and somebody will be next to you with a Big Agnes, and you will be bitter and envious. 😀

BadlyWiredDog

Do you really need a highly-specced mountain tent for motorcycle touring? You could save a lot of money by buying something more basic, but quite capable from someone like Vango given that a few extra grammes isn’t going to tire out your bike and you’re not likely to be pitching it on some remote highland plateau at 4000 feet in a hoolie.

I’m not criticising, just wondering. Mostly you’re paying not so much for strength here, but the combination of lightness and strength.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BWD – Currently we have 2 tents. One decent but cheapish and bulky for the motorbike touring and a Blacks Constellation I bought in a sale for our first cycle tour last year. There are problems with both of these tents.
    The MC tent was great when we had 2 motorbikes as we had loads of space. We now don’t have one at all but when we do it’ll be just one bigger bike for the 2 of us. So we NEED to save as much space as possible!
    The Blacks tent is good, but just waaay too small! We can’t even sit up in it to put socks on! This was OK in the good weather in the South West last year, but this year we’re doing a northern C2C. And if it rains, we need more living space!
    So we need a tent that weighs a bit less than the Blacks tent, but is as big (or close to) the motorcycle tent as there’s a lot of gear to store on motorbikes!
    Does that make sense? 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

When I was touring on motorbikes, I used a Saunders Spacepacker. The Plus models give you a bit extra internal space. Door system gives you one large alcove for storage and one for cooking in. Easily overlooked these days as they’ve dropped out of the mainstream.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Too small to sit up in:

IMG_9981 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Good, but heavy and bulky:

Scotland 2006 001 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

One tent to replace those 2! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Druid, thsoe Saunders tents look decent, I might have missed those in the search, I’ll have a look, thanks 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

So we need a tent that weighs a bit less than the Blacks tent, but is as big (or close to) the motorcycle tent as there’s a lot of gear to store on motorbikes!
    Does that make sense?

You’ll maybe think I’m joking, but take a look at the tenteepee, erm, teepees – brilliant, simple, deceptively tough, go up in three minutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Tents: Decent, light, not cheap ones, for bike touring’ is closed to new replies.