Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tenting – is this a good buy?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I've been offered a Vango Diablo 600 for £100. It looks bloody big, but it also looks like the ideal event tent.

Anyone got one? Am I looking at a bargain? (sorry, not telling you where from!)
    piccie

wwaswas

we've got a vango and they're good tents. if new, that looks like a bargin. go for it.

crezzy

not bad for the money ,go outdoors have good tentsfor themoney

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyRT
    Free Member

Got the one a bit bigger, although ordered the 600, it is MAASSSSIVE!

You need 2 to put it up, and I could park a car in it. Also lasted really well in Glencorwg 'summer' aventure a couple of years ago. A great event tent. Bought it as an awning to a camper…which is still on the wish list…

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I've got a 600 diablo it's a great family tent and a bloody good party tent for Glastonbury but there are draw backs:

1: The weight, I think it comes in at around 35kgs.
    2: You erect the inner first, not a problem for me but some can't get on with it.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

thanks chaps.

It's getting bought.

*excited at being able to stand up in a tent and hasve somehwere dry to hide….

:-)_

snowslave

We've one. Good buy at that price I think

MoreCashThanDash

Not all Vangos have sewn in groundsheets throughout – quite important given our recent summers

Otherwise, they are a good brand, though we are Outwell fans in this house!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Any more going at that price?

Stripe
    Free Member

Looks like a bargin !!!

Got a similar one 3 years ago out of season from Millets for £100.

lowey

We have the 900, same but with an extra bedroom pod.

Pluses

Huge
    Very Very stable in wind
    SIG
    Big Porch area

Minuses

A lot of sites wont let them on as they are bigger than the standard pitch. ie C&CC site will either not let you on or will charge you for two pitches.
    Pitch Inner First. PITA in the rain
    2 people to initally get the main dome up, the rest is ok with 1.
    Can be a bit gloomy inside as the windows are rubbish.

However £100 is a good price. If it was me I'd get an Outwell Montana 6 as a family tent.

yetiguy
    Free Member

we have got one great tent, its pretty big, but suits me, the missus, 2 kids and a dog perfectly.

A bargain at that price, takes us 30 mins to put it up

Spud

C&CC sites now have 'jumbo' pitches. Limited number (I think) we have a huge Wild Country one and not had a problem.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I just got a Vango Orchy 400 for the 'puffer and put it up tonight for the first time. Very impressed with the quality (for the money-£130) so that for £100 is a great buy.

snowslave

Lowey, I think your tent size is the cut off for charging double? We don't get that with the 600

MrNutt
    Free Member

I've got a Vango Gamma thats one of the only two tents ever signed my Michael Eavis!

dyna-ti

Me and a mate have one of the bigger coleman 4-man tents,two rooms with a central 'sitting drinking rum section'.
    To be honest.If its summer great,as long as the winds arent too strong,pitching in a wind can be a nightmare,you cannot put this tent up by yourself youll need at least 2,at least.
    waterproofing is a bit on the poo side,we noticed water beading on the sagging sections after heavy rain,a hydro head of 3000 seems the usual for these big family tents,i suppose they they think most families would be using it in the height of summer only.
    pros-
    BIG
    😆 bloody huge in fact,you can fit everything and the kitchen table,for bike events safe bike storage at night is no longer a problem.
    HIGH.
    Amazing if your 6'3" like me,to be able to stand and stretch ,safe enough to hang a gas lantern,so theres no reason not to finish that bottle of rum,just cos its got dark 😉
    Cons-
    Weather.
    Not that waterproof,but a can of 'Fabsil' and its as good as any for an English summer,given its size the wind can be a problem when your pitching it,one strong gust and your trying to hold onto a spinnaker 😯
    ,so a few extra people helping put it up would be a good idea
    Bulky-
    Your probably going to be using a car,so this isnt an issue,if not,splitting it up amongst your party makes it manageable.
    To sum it up-
    As a base camp for festivals ,week long summer trips,then its a brilliant tent,maybe a bit big for a one nighter,but weve used ours and have managed no problem[after rum fortification]
    For £100 I say go for it 😀

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

thanks everyone. I really wante something you can stand in and get dressed easily, as well as somewhere to shelter from the rain during long periods of hangin around (mayhem, etc)

Being riddled with cramp at the set 2 rise last year was the last straw. and like everyone said – it's a bargain.

p.s. its a sample thats been used by our training dept (on how to erect tents), and they need to get rid, so its been lightly put up/take down, but thats it. Sor sorry, no more available….

🙂

Blower
    Free Member

I like the idea of the porch aswell,dont need the other sleeping bit just one would do,is there owt out there with out 2nd sleeping area but witht the porch?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

blower – a mate of ours has this one – fitted 6 people in the porch drinking rum all night. nice big tent.

http://www.millets.co.uk/product/095606.html

cheap too – £130 is pretty good.

Blower
    Free Member

jimbob looks good that,nice outer space is what im after,be even nicer with an extra porch with it…

snakebite
    Free Member

here's my Monty 6, great tent, really pleased with it having had a Diablo 900-too big and faffy, a 600 which was OK, bit gloomy and not as roomy as it appeared, this is a great tent.
    http://snakebite.fotopic.net/c1580124_1.html

and the front porch is a godsend!

lowey

Thats what I'm after Snakebite. The 900 is just too big really, the Monty looks perfect.

Only thing I can see as a potential problem is the single leaf main area. Does it get colder that the inside of the 900 ? Our 900 warms up real quick with a heater.

Cheers mate.

snakebite
    Free Member

Heat wise its great, I use a footprint which adds insulation as well as keeping the tent clean and I also have the carpet which is ace, even though our camping buddies laughed at first.

I've been lucky as my mate has his own independant camping/outdoor shop so I've had the opportunity to try loads of 'demo tents' so to speak.

This is by far the best tent I've had, the extra porch canopy is ideal if the weathers not to good and theres acres of room inside. Stability wise, this is the most rigid tent we have had, the gales in Northern France in August were incredible, and I was a little worried, but the tent was fine.

I would recommend the footprint and carpet no question, and now is a good time to buy tents!

Blower
    Free Member

Yep Jimbob im gonna go for one of them Eurohike Sandringham's will do for me i reackon…!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tenting – is this a good buy?’ is closed to new replies.