Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tent HH rating
  • falkirk-mark

I fancy getting a new tent (more than likely vango) but do not know whether its worth getting a 3000HH one over a 2000HH one (only likely to use it 3 nights max if the weather forecast looks okay) 3000HH costs approx 25% more.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I spent a night under a vango gamma in one of the heaviest (if not the heaviest) thunderstorm to hit the UK a few years ago, it weathered it 100% which is a lot more to be said than a few of my neighbours! Its also one of only two tents ever to have been signed by Micheal Eavis!

loulouk
    Free Member

I think 3000 is sposed to indicate a 4 season tent and 2000 a 3 season tent or some such nonsense. Personally, considering the not so excellent British weather, I'd go for the 3000 for the comfort of not lying in your sleeping bag listening as the drops getting bigger and more frequent and wondering if you're going to need to bail. It's not the amount of nights, it's the weather and time of year etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

Would have thought seams & stitching are more important than HH on its own. We've an old(ish) Coleman Tri-Space that I reckon we could pitch under a waterfall & stay dry, whereas our Outwell Montana (with simmilar HH) let in second time out & had to be replaced.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Recently got a Vango Equinox 450 which is 3000 – just don't want to take any chances. I reckon it could cope with a minor storm and only weighs 6kg (4 man).

TBH I think any Vango would be fine – really good tents.

coffeeking
    Free Member

FWIW my banshee is a 3000HH and it's coped admirably with heavy rain, but even my old UV worn kyham is only just starting to sprinkle through and it's 10 years old and starting to rip at the seams, and I'm not sure it was even rated with a HH rating!. Had that camping in so much rain I woke up with ducks paddling by! Not sure the HH is much more than a bragging point.

I have added an extra layer of 3000 to the banshee but only because the inner was mesh and any time the wind blew it took away all your heat, now its much more sealed!

falkirk-mark

cheers guys it looks like a 3000HH vango

molgrips
    Free Member

TBH I think any Vango would be fine – really good tents.

My Vango 4 man dome with vestibule thing is crap. A mare to pitch, unstable when up and it's just not possible to do a good job pitching it. Something is always wrinkly, flaping, out of shape, or touching the inner. And this with about 50 pegs that need putting in and a dozen guy ropes.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh God Mol, are you simply here to "correct" all my posts?!

Okay – MOST Vango tents are fine. Read reviews on most and they are very highly rated. I'd happily(ish) stick ours up in a storm/downpour and feel safe in it. It was the only one that consistently scored full marks in a few tests. Seems most Vangos are similar.

jallan
    Free Member

I have got a Vango Tempest 200 and its fantastic – Went camping in Northumberland and was very surprised when I opened the tent and found it covered in a thin layer of ice. Easy to pitch, warm, light and has a small porch area which is big enough for camel backs, shoes etc.

Perhaps more important for night time warmth and comfort is your sleeping bag and self inflating mat – Try Alpkit for great gear at realistic prices. (I don't work for them – honest!)

cp

Outwell tents are where it's at for decent quality. Out of a lot of Vango and Outwell tent sales where I used to work, Outwell had BY FAR the lowest number of returns.

Anyway, I'd be looking at 3000 at least. 2000 is OK, but under continual rain 3000 is much more likely to keep the water out. It's alos likely to last more years before it fails.

HOWEVER always remember that in wet conditions, the inside of the tent is MUCH more likely to get condensation as the rain cools the tent fabric down considerably, and you get the single glazing effect – lots of condensation on the inside. Many people mistake this for water leaking through. To avoid, try to keep as much ventilation going as possible and avoid tents where the groundsheet is sewn into the outer fabric, as this prevents air circulating fully between the inner and outer fabrics. a groudsheet sewn into the inner tent is fine.

anagallis_arvensis

is it me or do most modern lightish tents let in water through the floor much more readily than the top?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tent HH rating’ is closed to new replies.