Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tent help
  • Spud

The flysheet on our Terra Nova is sticking together on the inside, anyone had this and remedied it or is it new flysheet time?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Clean it?

acehtn
    Free Member

Got a TN Laser, had it for about 8 years, no issues at all.

With out being able to see and feel the fabric its only guess work from me now.
    I assume the tent has been looked after and dried out/aired after use before repacking when you get home from your trips, being damp would cause mildew i dont see how that would make it sticky.
    The fabric is sticky, have you spilt any thing on the tent ? ever ? have you been popping bottles of champagne inside 🙂 could something have leaked onto it while in storage.

Take the inner out and hand wash everything would be my first step (i have seen the price of flys)
    Have you used any fabric water proofers on it ? maybe that has reacted with the fabric.
    If you have used the tent lots and lots maybe the fabric is starting to break down. Mine only gets used a few times a year so it will last longer than one used ever other weekend.

Give it a gentle hand wash, see what happens would be my choice, if that fails to cure it get in touch with Terra Nova.
    Hope thats some help.

Basil

Send it back to TN for their cleaning and reproofing service?
    2nd year with our Laser and no stickyness issues.

Waderider
    Free Member

Mildew or DEET damage? Suspect user error in storage or use.

Wash with same care applied to any outdoors equipment, possible repellancy restoration will be required after washing.

I doubt manufacturer will cover this.

flatfish
    Free Member

Had the same problem with my north face fly. Sent it back and they sent me a whole new tent. 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

have you been using it for ‘fishing’ trips?

HermanShake
    Free Member

TN tent fabric is siliconised, is the coating peeling away? If not it probably just needs a wash. Sounds like it’s contaminated.

North Face tents are known to do this after a while, but TN have a long standing rep for durability.

Give it a good rinse/clean and if that doesn’t fix it contact them directly. They have a name to maintain so I reckon they’ll see you right.

Spud

Cheers, always dried out before use and looked after. Had it since ’97 mind and it has always been faultless. It’s the whole inner side of the fly, thankfully not peeling away! I’ll get some cleaner and get it in the bath. Has to be worth a punt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tent help’ is closed to new replies.