Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • tent food
  • iDave
    Free Member

camping next weekend with my youngest lad, who wants to be a chef. I'm sure we'll not starve, but would like to hear some alternative tent food

go on, inspire me with simple tasty ideas which with low hassle factor

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

just get your favourite chilli/bolognaise/curry ready the night before & reheat.

iDave
    Free Member

oh yeah, he'll really enjoy doing that 🙄

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you are driving and can get a Grilletto or Son of Hibachi you can do all sorts of cooking. (they are the same thing) done roast vegetables, jacket potatoes, slow cooked meat as well as straight forward BBQ fare. I say get some fire together and burn some meat, he gets to light it, say when it's ready, shuffle the meat around to make sure it is in the right place (hot or cooler for colour or actual cooking) and if it floats your boat, stuff some bananas with chocolate, wrap in tin foil and leave them on as you eat ready for a hot pudding.
    Personally I hate the cooked banana thing but know enough people who love it to know I am wrong 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It might be a bit of a little bit hassle I suppose but first time we tried it, with veg wrapped in tin foil (bought a tiny roasting dish later) we got this…

You might not be able to keep salad fresh but a nip to the shop would be cool, and really it's no more hassle than a camp stove if you have a chef to look after it (the "snuff pouch" they come with is a fantastic idea and works brilliantly) just heavier, and bulkier.

allthegear
    Free Member

A friend wrote this.

carlosg
    Free Member

A kettle , water , instant mash , beanfeast of your choice.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

last time we went camping I went with a group of lads form work all into mountain biking for a lads biking weekend on the cheep.

I suggested we all chip in and make a hog roast or something but there weren't any takers, miserable lot. One even suggested we individually got disposable BBQ's and sorted ourselves out.

Anyway, not wanting to slum it too much, a tent is bad enough, my mate who was coming with us used to be a chef so he cooked me and him a Beef Bourginon and we heated it up. We also had mussles in white wine and garlic and some nice crusty bread to start and chilled white wine as we'd bought a bag of ice before and stuck it in the cool box. We even had cheese and biscuits to finish. 🙂

We set up our table, put a cloth on it and tucked in, mush to the annoyance of all the others eating semi raw burgers and burned sausages.

Think big, don't slum it with the food just because you're slumming it in a tent.

Keva
    Free Member

cook the same camping as I do at home. sometimes buy one of those disposable barbeques from the supermarket.

fubar
    Free Member

1 tin soup
    add 1 packet super noodles

followed by beer and chocolate

jobs a good un

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Keva +1

Except we tend to eat better when camping. 8)

tron
    Free Member

Tinned curry (surprisingly pleasant) & rice. I can't really be doing with cooking much in a tent. I also quite like ratpacks, but they're pricey.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Rissotto's are always good for 1 pot camping, and Chorizo is an absolute staple when we're away.
    Also, if you have an opportunity for cooling, try Thai fish soup.

iDave
    Free Member

we'll prob make what we normally do, pastas, risottos, stews, just wondered if there were any off the menu suggestions – other than coke and ketchup chicken!

toby1

Guess it's a bit early in the season to hunt out wild garlic as an ingredient. You could always find your way to the nearest Rabbit's warren with a net or 2 😛

Dylan08
    Free Member

scrambled eggs for breakfast – the ONLY way! (On toast)

Muke
    Free Member
    Helios
    Free Member

I'm in the proper-cooking-when-camping camp too… Roast Beef is particularly good…It helps to have a Cobb – also great for cooking Calzone… Om nom nom…

I'd also recommend a copy of the Cool Camping Cookbook which has some great recipes in it…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘tent food’ is closed to new replies.