Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tent, 2 man, backpacking, room to move, porch, decent price? Moon on a stick?
  • midlifecrashes

Under 2.5 kg probably
    Room for me, 6'2", plus my boy(8) and maybe FatSpaniel too
    nearer £100 than £300

We have a bigger, heavier tent for car camping, but thinking of a couple of backpacking long weekends soon. Can't ask the boy too carry much so can't share the load. Would be nice to use for bike touring when I get the chance too. Any recommendations?

Helios
    Free Member

Except for the closer to £100 than £300 bit would fit nicely with a Lightwave… I have a T2 Trek XT which was about £315ish when i bought it… Is very spacious inside especially with the porch… Also nice and light…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Alpkits tent a. when its realesed and b if it matches the £150 quoted price?

hitman
    Free Member

midlife
    go for a vaude hogan – I'm 6'3" and there's plenty of room, easy to put up and quite light and cheap compared to the rest.
    I have two! A standard Vaude Hogan which is about 3kg and a Vaude Hogan Ultralight Argon which is 1.5kgish
    My standard one was still going strong unit I managed to snap one of the poles – my own fault though not a weakness in the tent. I may be posting this on the classifieds soon as I'm not using it and all someoje would need to do is get some replacement poles.
    Anyway its not a plug for my tent, they really are great tents.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

after much looking am going for a Vango Temptest. £100 posted from lots of ebay retailers.

druidh
    Free Member

Saunders Spacepacker Plus

You get two huge porches which means the dog can have one

montylikesbeer

vango banshee clicky

or

ferrino

Both cheap and light, not the most hard wearing but , hey you takes your choice.

For me it would be a Saunders space packer outer only with a ground sheet down, its the lightest option around and based on years of experience can take a force 9 coming in from the Atlantic on the trotternish ridge

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

2nd the Lightwave if you can push to it.

On a similar note – if anyone has a suggestion for a tent much as the OP was asking for but with a short pack length I would like to know about them. Wanting something could pack into my Triumph's top box (so around the 40cm mark in length would be grand… couple of cm more may just about go). The Lightwave is just a bit long to go in there, and my Vango Equinox is way to large and heavy (causing a spill on Friday… which I am still smarting from).

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oh… and it has to be 4 season rated – even lowland 4 season. Going to be camping on the Hebridies and in Orkney this summer, and I have seen some fairly solid tents destroyed in both locations in July/August over the years so refuse to take anything that isn't "robust".

I may have to resort to a Crux 😉

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Vango Spirit 300 or 300+. Hydra 300+ or Tornado 300 – al should be within budget.

I know the Tornado is light, and can fit 2 in comfortably, has a front porch. and is good in strong winds – as we often camp at Anglesey and other exposed locations in all weathers, and it stands up very well.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don't reckon you'd be far off the mark with a Vango Tempest. The 200, 2 man version should have enough room with a nice big porch. It'll also cost about £85 online. The 300 will be a touch heavier and exceed your £100.

molgrips
    Free Member

Marmot Aeros 3P. Not £100 tho!

damitamit
    Free Member

I have a Tempest 200 that I need to sell actually! Its a couple years old, but used about 4 times. Its the blue one. Email me…

midlifecrashes

Ta for all the ideas, have seen a Vaude Taurus Ultralight, which was nice, but a bit short on porch space for two, and a Terra Nova laserlarge 1, which has a much more weather friendly porch. It just seems there's a big gap between the 1.8kg or so tents around £250-350 and the 2.6kg+ from £80 upward. Given that it's not going to get used that often due to the other tents available, and usually only clearing off by myself once a year or so, I can't really justify £250+, and it seems easier to make up that sort of weight saving on other gear like mats, for less money. That Alpkit does look good if they can get it close to 1kg/£150, shame it's not made yet. Never used one of these side opening jobs, does the vestible really work on them, seems a bit too open.

Damitamit, ygm

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

A bit heavier than you are after but has a wonderfully large porch area. We love ours.
    Big Fat Frog

r6ymy
    Free Member

Have a look on Outdoors Magic and LFTO forum classifieds, often get decent tents on there.
    Wild country Duolite might be a possibility for you, 2 person (just), 2.4kg, and is only 40cm long packed. £145 new from here: http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Wild+Country/Duolite/1049/pc

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not cheap but Hillberg do a light leight tent with a massive porch http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-62/Hilleberg-Nallo-2-GT/Detail.bok

On the cheaper side I have a T3 ultralight pro from decathlon the new one is 2.9 kg, mine is a fw years old but holds up ok. about £80 I think.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Recently got a Vango Equinox 450 – too big for this spec (4 man) but the quality is outstanding for the price (retails near £400, got it for £280) – in fact even for twice as much.

So another +1 for any Vango suggestions! They do good thermarest type mats too.

plumber
    Free Member

The Taurus Ultralight is a great tent but I suspect a little to small for your needs and certainly the porch is only suitable for a bag and you shoes

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Wild Country Duolite Touring is certainly on my list of possibles… actually, I think it may be the only one on there at the moment! A trip to Ambleside and Keswick for some serious tent viewing is in order I think… probably on the bike with the top box for testing purposes!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tent, 2 man, backpacking, room to move, porch, decent price? Moon on a stick?’ is closed to new replies.