Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tennis/Golfers elbow – any good recovery tips?
  • chives
    Free Member

As title really; I’ve been carrying a work induced elbow strain since before christmas, done the quacks, tried resting it (as much as anyone with two small kids can) and not overdoing it at work (again – not easy/particularly possible). But it’s not really improving.

Doc’s suggested cortizone jab might be the next step, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced similar and had any thoughts on speeding up recovery.

martinhutch

Before suggesting something as drastic and last resort as cortisone injections, your doc should probably try to work out which one (tennis/golfers) it is! Lateral epicondylitis (tennis) or medial epicondylitis (golfers) – the usual difference is the type of loading that triggers the pain, and where the pain is (normally inside vs outside of elbow).

It might feel like you’ve had it a long time, but it’s still possible that with the right combination of rest, stretching, massage and exercise, it may resolve itself.

I’d recommend a good sports physio as a first stop. If you can find one with some experience of climbing injuries, then he/she may be more familiar with the condition.

I had tennis elbow for about a year, and managed to clear it up with physio, stretching and exercise. Perversely, resting can actually make it worse in some instances.

jb79
    Free Member

Is it tennis, Golfers or both?

Cortisone injections work short term but there’s a high recurrence rate and some evidence they make things worse longer term. They also carry various short term risks…

Have you tried the velcro strap thingies that go just below the elbow? Splinting the wrist (in a futura splint) overnight and when doing activities that exacerbate it can help too (the problem is with the wrist extensors (tennis) or flexors (Golfers) rather than the elbow which is why this works). Physio useful too.

chives
    Free Member

Thanks for the response guys. It’s mainly pain on the outside, particularly when gripping / twisting stuff but pain inside if lifting (eg. getting a full bag out of the kitchen bin when I forget to use the other hand). Have been wondering if a sports physio might be my next port of call..
    I’ll enquire about splinting whildt I’m there. Really missing riding offroad at the mo.

martinhutch

That sounds like a bit of both, or possibly a severe case of lateral which is radiating to the inside.

This is a useful resource, aimed at climbers, but applicable to anyone.

http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/index.php/download_file/-/view/28/

I wouldn’t advise you to plough into the exercises, which are fairly full on, and in my opinion can do more damage if you overdo it, but it could help you understand a little more about what’s going on.

My physio started off with tissue massage and very light theraband work.

crikey
    Free Member

Stretching and massage will get rid, but you have to be religiously good at doing them, and it doesn’t go straight away.

chives
    Free Member

Cheers for the linky Martin, got some reading to do! I think the doc said it was lateral, but there were a heap of other more medical words thrown in to the same conversation and I struggled to keep up with it at the time.

martinhutch

I’d definitely recommend a second opinion from a good sports physio. If you’re in the Leeds area, I can recommend one (but chances are you’re not!)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have a strong massage on your forearms and see if it gets any better and if the masseuse points any problems, like tightness.

Then try a grip exercisers (I have a strong york one from amazon) or a powerball, and see if it gets any better from that.

I have been programming computers for 26 years and my right forearm was giving loads of issues last year – that’s what I did and now have no problems, and I only use the grip exerciser infrequently now.

mdavids
    Free Member

I’ve had a bit tennis elbow for about 5-6 months now and its just started to ease off. Avoiding aggravating the problem is the most important (obviously) and I’ve been using an Epicondylitis Clasp which has really helped. I’ve also tried a few acupuncture sessions and these seemed to help with the pain.

PePPeR

I’ve had my Golfers elbow for about 3 years, it’s been damm awful, I’d tried lots of things but in the end a massage therapist told me to get massaging my forearm muscles loads and loads and loads, she was basically saying that the muscle had got too tight against the bone, I’ve spent evening after evening massaging it and it’s shit loads better!

chives
    Free Member

Thanks to one & all for the advice.

Martin, I’m in the South West -but cheers anyway – I’m sure I’ll find a sports physio reasonably local! Much prefer the thought of massage over cortisone jabs. 😀
    And I’ve ordered a futuro brace to see if it helps at work. Here’s hoping eh?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tennis/Golfers elbow – any good recovery tips?’ is closed to new replies.