Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tennis elbow from riding my bike?? WTF?
  • TN
    Free Member

I appear to have developed tennis elbow from riding my bike. That's just wrong!?!

So, obviously it's either me doing something wrong (no, I am not pedalling with my hands!) or the setup that's screwy.

I have been doing longer rides recently and the problem has only come on in the past month or so, so does anyone have any suggestions (serious or otherwise) how I might modify my riding style or the bike setup to try to limit any further problems.

Thanks,

T

(The doc said "I suppose it's not worth suggesting you rest for a while, is it?" and referred me for physio and told me to take lots of drugs in the meantime. 🙂 Good girl!!)

scaredypants

I've had it lately too

not certain the bike caused it (I haven't been doing loads more than usual)

seemed to be worsened by straight wrist, so bought a Mary bar to see if that helps (only ridden once on it since so still no idea)

It seems to be fading a bit, but then I never really had it bad

Good Luck

goog
    Free Member

I've had it for 3 years 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TN
    Free Member

Scaredypants – I should have searched and didn't, so thanks for the link. Did a lot of googling, but couldn't find anything that referred to cycling.
    I kind of thought it was just me being anatomically weird but clearly it isn't, which is kind of reassuring, but I am glad it is improving for you. Off to read your thread now…

scaredypants

don't get your hopes up, it was pretty short !

TN
    Free Member

Short but quite helpful. Just going through that rehab guide now…
    The comment about 'honking' – does that mean pulling hard on the bars when going uphill? (I vaguely remember the term from my roadie days) If so, I think I *have* been doing more of that as I have been incorporating more hills and I have a bit of a mental problem with spinning… :-S

scaredypants

that's what I meant by "honking" yeah – dunno why I use the term unless it's common (think I've heard "**** on the bars" used by americans sometines 😳 )

goog
    Free Member

bunny hopping/honking on the bars sets mine off and because I ride all the time and bunny hop its a constant battle of my elbow V drugs to fix it

BTW … the elbow always wins 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i found some excercises that work, basicly you need a dumbell bar, put a small weight on one end but not the other, then, holding the bar in one hand, lift the weight in the other hand and let it rotate the wrist slowly. Repat with both hands, rotating it inwards and outwards. Increace the weight each day untill your just about able to controll its rotation.

the idea being that muscles are 150% stronger when they are relaxing than when theyr contracting. So by missing out the weight lifinng part you only work on the tendon.

PePPeR

I've had similar for 12 months now, I've just been out for a half hour spin on the bike and have returned with a very sore right elbow!

I've taken the steroids for 3 weeks and apart from making me feel like a 17 year old again for about 2 weeks afterwards, long term it hasn't stopped it!

MoreCashThanDash

Problems here as well – seems to made worse by BabySwadey not being such a featherlight load to pick up any more!

TN
    Free Member

Strangely, in all the years I've been bouldering I've never had any elbow problems and then I bugger it up cycling. Sigh. I'm going for G&T therapy right now. It may be helping a little…

Creaky

I also have tennis elbow. It was brought on by too much indoor climbing but the MTBing probably didn't help. I haven't climbed since early last year and was seeing a physio for a while but it still isn't fixed. Here are a few things that have helped me.

1) Drop and the saddle and move it forward a bit and/or raise the bars and move them back to avoid leaning on the bars. It's also a better position for technical stuff.

2) Get some fat, sticky grips. That will help you to feel more confident and in control and it will then be easier to relax your grip on the bars which should help the elbow. This is also better technique. I like ODI Rogues.

3) Avoid yanking on the bars.

4) Avoid riding stiff hardtails on hard, bumpy ground.

Hope this helps.

Coleman
    Free Member

Swadey – I thought you had a bad back, but now hear your arms falling off as well! You'll have to start taking it easy man – especially at your age. 😉

veggie
    Free Member

You're probably gripping too hard. Relax and get some fabric tape from Boots, about a 1/2" wide and grip your fist and firmly put the tape around your forearm about 2" below your elbow. This will support your ligaments. Then go to snsow and rock and buy a grip strengthener and rattling ball, they'll know what to get you.

scraprider
    Free Member

had it for 2 years now . off for an opp in november ,do the injection bit , very very good for about 2 months in my case then they wear off , bad times as its worce, it like a R.S.I injury, i.e mechanics get it due to constant same movment with tools etc screw drivers are the worce.MTB type cycling dont help it , but its not the cause of it mate.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tennis elbow from riding my bike?? WTF?’ is closed to new replies.