Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tennis Elbow
  • woody21
    Free Member

Tennis elbow – has anyone got it / had it? Can you ride with it or should I just MTFU?

shermer75
    Free Member

I would say that ‘pushing through the pain’ is never good in any situation. Unless its very serious the treatment seems to be rest, ibuprofen and cold compresses several times a day. Good advice here

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I would say that ‘pushing through the pain’ is never good in any situation.

What about child birth?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Had it for yrs – RSI by any other name. Lots of Ibuprofen and cold compresses were my prescription. Had no choice about working through it as its my job. Bloody painful so rest when you can.

leegee

Had golfers elbow ( No, I don’t play Golf) Same but on other side of elbow.

Heat and ice twice a day, 2 mins ice 2 heat for 10 mins. Gone.

ampthill

Usual boring advice to see a physio if possible

I wasted years in a sort of half recovered state where things were generally fine but the pain kept coming back, I sort of new it wasn’t the tendon inflamed and more bizarley it often got better with more use. I had the same thing in the other wrist as well

After years of this I slamed my bike into a tree badly crushing 2 fingers n generally shock loading my body. Sneezing was agony so off to the physio

She worked on my Thorasic joints and it helped loads

Never heard of them so googles it. Turns out the aches were tight thorasic joints. More use is better. Now I’m 100% pain free

Moral rsi is complicated and these professionals often know things we don’t

In the mean time ice and ibuprofen. Don’t do things that aggravate it. Only you will know how riding goes. Riding on the road will do better than off road.

If its on the left you don’t really need a back brake do you

ampthill

oops double post

npunshon
    Free Member

Tennis elbow from biking?? I did get it really bad from playing tennis but not from biking.I think the general rules work the same……Ibruprofen never works for me, Diclofenac is much better as an anti inflamatory, Voltarol tablets do the trick when its playing up. Main thing is to change something in the action thats causing the issue, mine in tennis is racket type/string type and I also use a band type thing on my arm and it never plays up now. Used physio tape which works really well so thats another option, the rock tape type comes with specific instructions for tennis elbow……might well be a great option if its biking related.

riklegge

I’ve suffered when training for climbing. There are several exercises that can help prevent it, its worth googling: I think the Moon website had some useful links.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I found one of these helped enormously

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Tennis-Elbow-Support_1311127/

Still took 18 months to finally go

cozz
    Free Member

yeah had it for a year, physio said get a epicondular (sp) cuff

as in link above

wore if for few months, got better

repeated use of scissors and squeezing actoin during work bought it on

woody21
    Free Member

Better than BUPA – thanks for all the advice

timba
    Free Member

I had it. Get it checked out sooner rather than later and don’t aggravate it. Inconsequential things were painful, such as opening a bag of crisps
    I didn’t follow my own advice and ended up having an op under general anaesthetic

globalti
    Free Member

Stop riding, massage with Ibuprofen gel and wear one of those Boots elbow bandages; they do seem to work. It will go away but you’ve got to give it a chance.

martinhutch

If it’s just a one-off flare up then rest and ice and see if it recovers.

If it’s something a bit more chronic and long-lasting, then you might need a different approach.

it may be worth seeing a physio with some experience in climber’s elbow/shoulder problems for diganosis as there are a whole host of different tendons and nerves which go through or near the outside of the elbow, so chronic ‘tennis elbow’ might be an ulnar nerve issue or tight wrist extensors/tricep or somesuch rather than a classic tendon strain.

This: http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/resources/feature_articles/dodgy_elbows/

is a useful resource for some basic stretches and exercises for classic tendon issues. He has some views on elbow braces etc too, which are pretty categorical (and quite funny).

As you may have gathered, I’m just recovering from my second episode (in different elbows) in the last few years.

woody21
    Free Member

My GP referred me Ito Nerve Conduction Clinic at The Hallamshire. It appears that I have a compressed ulnar nerve and a tennis elbow

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tennis Elbow’ is closed to new replies.