Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tennancy/Letting agents issue?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I changed my mobile number about a week ago (it works out as 5 working days all in) due to a botched upgrade from EE, but that’s another whine. It turns out I forgot to inform my letting agents (oops!).

Yesterday night I got home to find a letter stating they’d been trying to contact me, as they wanted to arrange a valuation survey on behalf of the landlord. The letter was dated 30th March, and arrived (obviously) 1st April, for a 1st April appointment.

I’m somewhat miffed at this as I wouldn’t consider this an emergency for them to gain access, and I’m not sure how this counts as 24 hours notice either way. I was supposed to be at a conference this week, even if the letting agent’s letter had arrived on time, I wouldn’t have known about their intentions until next Tuesday. Surely it should have been sent recorded post so they had confirmation as to when I received it?

I’m not trying to be a difficult tenant, and have no issues with allowing access, so long as the proper procedures are followed. I’ve had issues with the letting agents taking the micky before and entering my home without my permission. After the last time I got an apology and a promise to not do it again. When I phone up to give them my new number, I’m wondering if I’m justified in moaning again at them?

toys19
    Free Member

I am a landlord. I am pro landlord, generally pro tenant, but anti agent..
    I am attempting to write this in alight hearted and helpful non critical style, so please do not take offence, I’m not flaming or criticising you, just advising and probing your opinion.

Good news: The landlord and agent do not have a legal right of entry, you can refuse entry at any time. Despite what it might say in the contract, you cannot sign your rights away.
    In fact you could write to the agent and landlord explicitly expressing that you rescind any permission for them to enter the flat ever unless you directly give your permission in writing.
    You are also within your rights to change the locks and not give the landlord/agent a key.
    The landlord could then only gain access with your permission, or with a court order for necessary access. EG if you refuse to let the plumber in for a legally required gas test.

Continued access by the landlord without your permission could be seen as harassment and can lead to prison sentences.

The bad news:
    How do you enforce this? Unless you change the locks, then if the landlord/agent behaves as he has done (ie not often and semi reasonably) the courts are unlikely to see this as harassment.
    The landlord/agent would need to be making regular unannounced/unreasonable visits to be actual harassment.
    The letter was sent at short notice, which is crap of them, and typical agent behaviour, but is it really any loss or inconvenience to you?
    Let me ask you if they knocked on the door and asked if they could come in with zero notice would you refuse? EG “we were just passing..”

It depends on your relationship with the agent and what you want your relationship to be with the agent.

For me I blimmin hate agents, so my red mist action would be to write to them and say that unless you give express written permission then they cannot enter. Any attempts to enter without permission will be treated as harassment and recorded for a case you are preparing against them. I might even change the locks (just replace the barrels)
    But I am a belligerent so and so, and this would likely lead to continued sour relations and be unproductive for everyone.

A more reasonable approach would be to write to them to ask that as soon as they make an apptmnt with a valuer, plumber whatever that triggers an automatic letter rather than relying on phone permission. Meanwhile swallow your pride and think that in reality no harm has been done and you are not actually being harassed. (Unless there is more to this than you have told us?)

Do it all in writing whatever you do.

IA

I had a similar issue, though they were sending letters in plenty time but they were vanishing into the pigeonholes/getting delayed for whatever reason (could’ve been their fault, who knows).

I asked them to email me in advance in future as well as sending me the letter and I could reply to that to confirm. Agents didn’t complain and everyone stayed happy all round.

Till I came to leave the property that is, but that’s another story… Suffice to say no love for agents here either!

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers folks, all useful input! Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tennancy/Letting agents issue?’ is closed to new replies.