Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tenerife road or mountain?
  • jonk

Going to Tenerife for 2 weeks. We are in the south but have a car. Should i take the road bike or mountain? Can’t seem to find much on way marked routes – looked on gpsies etc.
    Any advice much appreciated!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden the roads there, but they are very very good, normally plenty of groups if you fancy company too.

Hilly and hot, but great views, nice roads, and good coffee stops.

phiiiiil

We’re going in September for a “normal” holiday but I’m planning on taking the mtb. I’ve found a few routes using strava and OpenStreetMap, from Las Lajas doooooown the hill towards Adeje. You can download other people’s routes from strava if you are a premium member, so woohoo for their free trial month.

The strava heatmap is quite useful for working out where other people have been too.

A ST article from a while back (issue 77, IIRC?) covered Tenerife; they mentioned the National Park bus that will take bikes up towards the edge of the National Park so you can bike back down again without having to finish where you started.

robhughes
    Free Member

^Yep.
    You can get the Teide bus from Peurto at 8.30 every day(bikes go underneath)Get off a few stops before the top at el portillo and bike back down for what seems like forever.The routes back are mind blowing.Loads of local lads do it every day so be early at the main bus stop in town.
    Mainly down hill stuff and the locals are great.Tag along with them and prepare to enjoy some of the best trails you will ever ride..

frogstomp

If you decide you want to try some guided MTB routes give Darran at Lavatrax a shout.. everything from loose volcanic scree to rocky descents.

haggis1978

I was there last year and did 6 days mtbing with lavatrax. Was superb. Def take the mountainbike.

hora
    Free Member

Any places good for late deals and hire or take own bike??

jota180
    Free Member

Tenerife boasts the longest continuous road climb in Europe if that sort of thing challenges you?

http://www.polkadotcycling.com/latest-news/Mount-Teide-Tenerife/

Sandwich

Another vote for Darren for some guided riding. He can also organise a route for the whole family.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife road or mountain?’ is closed to new replies.