Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tenerife MTB – Some Pictures and words..
  • Alex

A few photos from 4 Days of being shuttled by lavatrax in Tenerife. Darran and Julia from Lavatrax were brilliant – top guides and a lot of fun. It’s insanely rocky out there. The photos don’t do it justice. I should have taken an easy to get too camera (rather than phone in camelbak). Most of the time i didn’t want to/couldn’t stop to take pics!

If you want a winter break and you like rocks/endless slow speed tech/exposure/super fast rocky descents/loose trail (oh crikey yes proper loose)/amazing forest singletrack/switchbacks and did I mention the rocks at all then this is a great holiday. Stayed in the Mountains away from the beach based grockles which was the right thing to do. Definitely need guiding and the shuttling is brilliant. Descended nearly 10000m, climbed less than 1000 🙂

Nice to see my new rocket worked in the dust. It’s a heck of a bike that.

Rocket in the rocks by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Views weren’t bad. Bit hot up there 😉

Viewpoint. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Scoping for lines on volcanic pumice

No really there is. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Lots of this going on all week

Ulrich having a bit of a play by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Bit of trail building made this ride-able

Ulrich by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Did I mention the rocks at all.

MC – Day 4 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

or the exposure

Oh. ****. Me. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Bikes and Beer what’s not to like

Day 1 post rock battering. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Notice the angle of the trees 😉
    [

If you want to read some more pretentious self absorbed nonsense, let me point you here

So in summary: warm, ace trails, ace guiding, scary as whatsit a few times, cold beer, 120k of basically descending, max speed 62 kph (on a road to be fair, even that was fun), fab company and can I go back tomorrow please?

fadda

Just what I needed to spur me into action. I had already found lavatrax, and this will make sure that I contact them next week, about visiting in March! 🙂

Top postage!

Alex

I’m hoping to go back there feb half term for a family holiday. Might have to slip the bike in the luggage.

Alex

Here’s another one off the LT FB Page

Contador Beef Descent by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I think that was 99 switchbacks in 😉

PrinceJohn

Hi Alex, Zach here – just got back today… How are the ribs?

Alex

My ribs are fine Zach. Martin however is still a bit crocked! He had a chest x-ray to make sure everything is all in the right place!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thanks for this. It goes on my list of potentials.

nasher
    Free Member

Thinking of going with them on the 21st Jan..

Where did you guys stay? seems to be a lot of acccommodation options.

Potdog
    Free Member

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for the feedback, glad that Martin is all in one piece!
    Had a read of your blog, it was an enjoyable read for sure.

Nasher, Alex and Martin stayed in one of our “country retreats” up at 600m above sea level in San Miguel de Abona. The hotel is really good, the owner (Agustìn) is a thoroughly top bloke and the food and drink is great. It can be chilly up there in the evenings at this time of year and there isn’t a great deal going on on a night other than a few local bars, but that doesn’t seem to bother most people who stay there as they are so happy with the hotel itself.

Other than that, we have some seaside options which give a bit more scope for a dip in the sea after your ride and a little more life in the evenings, but still not Alex’s now famous “Grockle City”. They are in El Mèdano which is a more traditional seaside resort favored by sporty types and Spanish visitors.

We try and steer clear of Los Cristianos and especially Playa de Las Americas with their over inflated food and drinks prices and tacky tourist traps. We prefer to spread the love (and the tourist euros) to some of the less well frequented (except by those in the know) spots.

Daz.

shanta
    Free Member

Used Daz at Lavatrax twice twice this year. Really great riding in Tenerife and Daz is great bloke. Anyone thinking of going should ….

frazoosh
    Free Member

Nice piece, am going out in late feb after being sold it by that article by the polish boys. Will be doing it by gps, which was your favourate area?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife MTB – Some Pictures and words..’ is closed to new replies.