Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tenerife – Biking and Holidays
  • rugbydick

I’ve seen a few threads on here talking about biking in Tenerife, but most of the responses were just links to companies operating out there.

I’ll probably be taking the family out to Tenerife in October and quite fancy a sneaky day’s biking while the (non-riding) other half suns herself on the beach.

Has anyone biked out there recently? Looking for personal recommendations and reviews.

Cheers all.

gearfreak
    Free Member

I did a day’s biking with Lavatrax back in January. Hire bike was a fairly decent Marin hardtail. We did a route towards the north of the island (La Esperanza) which was up in the mountains and had some great singletrack, plus a fair bit of climbing.

I would have liked a longer day out as I’m a pretty fit rider, and this route was only 26k. (I’d happily ride 60+ in a day, 26k is a midweek evening ride). But the ride was good, and Darran the owner is a nice guy, he did try to find me a longer ride, but all the other people wanting rides that week were looking at shorter rides so it just wasn’t going to work out.

It was nice to see the other end of the island, which was very different from the barren south, think proper woods with slippy clay soil, great fun for riding. although there are also routes which stay out in the Sun and are rocky and technical I believe.

You can just hire a bike from Biking El Medano, which is about 10 miles or so from Los Christianos etc (buses are available) and go and explore, which with hindsight is what I would probably do. (El Medano is a great little place, so you could get a hire car and drop the missus there for the day while you go and explore)

rugbydick

Gearfreak, thanks for your response.

Did you just hire a bike out there and take your own cycling gear?
    Some of the days out with Lavatrax on their website look great; I guess you’d recommend going with them again if they were able to guide a longer ride for you???

Not sure I’ll have time to go and explore, it’ll depend on how many brownie points I’ve accumulated with her ladyship… so I’d prefer someone with local knowledge to show me decent trails.

gearfreak
    Free Member

I had riding gear with me,(pedals, shoes, lid, camelbak, shorts”) as we were out on a road cycling trip. I’m sure helmets were available to hire, and I did borrow a windproof from darran. I’d happily recomend a day with lavatrax, and as you say, if you only have a day it’s nice to take advantage if local knowl
    edge. Enjoy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife – Biking and Holidays’ is closed to new replies.