Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tenerife bike hire and routes (another holiday thread)
  • MrGreedy

After advice on previous threads, I’ve more or less decided to go to Tenerife for a short break. For reasons of cheapness I’m planning to get a last-minute package deal, then rent a road bike while I’m out there and head out on my own for a few day rides.

Your recommendations for the following would therefore be much appreciated:
    – Good routes, inc. the best way to do Mt Teide
    – Hire shops for a decent road bike (Googling brings up plenty)
    – Best area/resort to stay in bearing in mind the above

hp_source

Bike Point in either El Medano, or Las Americas always seems to come out favorably.

Not sure on your best way to do Teide, but I do know you can stick a bike in the hold on the buses over there, so may be tempted to bus part of the way up, to get away from the coast/busier areas at least.

Resort-wise, places like El Medano/Los Abrigos/Golf del Sur are the smaller resorts, bit close to the airport for my liking, but a few bars/restaurants etc. Las Americas is the ‘big’ resort full of hotels and lacking in any character. Los Christianos is just around the coast, and is large, but has more a ‘local’ feel, still a lot of hotels/apartments, but the town centre/bay etc are nice, with plenty places to eat/drink. Never been to Los Gigantes.

If you fancy going off road, Lavatrax (Darran) is great, plenty of routes, and a great guy to ride with.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I took my mtb a few years ago for a week of biking and would agree that a road bike is a good choice and either way most of the uphills are best done by road as the lava surface is like riding up loose marbles and walking in it can wreck shoes. Theres plenty of roads, nice and twisty buggers in the sun. buy a road map and enjoy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrGreedy

Thanks chaps. Just how bad is the traffic near the coast resorts? Various websites have mentioned it being heavy – is that just relative to the rest of the island or are we talking North Circular at 8.30am?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife bike hire and routes (another holiday thread)’ is closed to new replies.