Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tenby
  • Harry_the_Spider

Any good?

Looking for a cottage holiday next year for the wife’s birthday.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Yes!!lovely if you have good weather, dire if bad! If you have kids lots to do oakwood/folly farm/bluestone swimming pool/manor farm zoo! Beautiful countryside and beaches. Great road cycling mountain biking poor!

rOcKeTdOg

stayed in a house in lower frog st inside the town walls, great place, great beaches, the town ghost walk is highly recommended

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

As dnr said, lovely place if you get the weather, stunning beach. Not much to the old walled town but it’s a nice place to wander around.

If the weather’s bad there’s always WH Smith to read through the bike mags for a few hours.

Bregante

Fantastic. We’ve been the last 3 years in august and been dead lucky with the weather. Beaches are amazing. Barafundle bay, manorbier and freshwater east are 3 of the best beaches I’ve been to anywhere.

Tenby itself is a real foodies paradise with some great small restaurants and plenty of shops to while away a few hours. I haven’t been to bluestone but hear it’s very nice, with a spa, pool and nice restaurant.

The organisation I work for own a number of lodges just outside saundersfoot so it’s practically a no brainer for me as it costs next to nowt but I’d probably still go if I had to pay top whack tbh with 2 small kids.

TenMen
    Free Member

We spent a week in Saundersfoot in the summer, about 5 minutes drive from Tenby, but I’d definitely stay in Tenby itself next time, it’s a lovely little place, and the local scenery is stunning, with some great cliff-top bike routes. Torrential rain every day of course, but we’re used to that on our UK holidays.

Edit:
    Bregante – you obviously went a different week to me…

TenMen
    Free Member

We booked our holiday here

Bregante

Last week of august into September. Luvverly every day 8)

TenMen
    Free Member

I went 2 weeks before you. And you should be thankful because we obviously soaked up all the rain on your behalf.

avdave2

I thought you were going to Lyme Regis?

Anyway Tenby is very nice with great beaches in the town and all along the coast. Like Cornwall but quieter nicer and cheaper but don’t tell anyone else that.

geoffj

‘salright, but probably not as nice as the comments above suggest IMHO.

We went for a couple of days there last summer (August). The beaches are nice, but the town had a certain chav feel to it in some parts.

Bluestone Lagoon is OK, but get there early as the queues for the slides soon build up – think of it (the water park bit that is) as a sort of low rent Centerparcs.

There are much nicer bits of Pembrokeshire to see TBH.

rewski
    Free Member

Lovely from what I recall, they’ve got an amazing ice cream parlor with lots and lots of different desserts, amazing when your 8 years old.

Harry_the_Spider

I thought you were going to Lyme Regis?

I was. But we ended up in Weyemouth.

This is for later in the year.

midlifecrashes

Pembrokeshire generally is rubbish, as is the Gower, Cardigan bay beaches and the Lleyn. Avoid. 🙂

You’ll particularly want to avoid days out to that Brechfa forest, Solva and St Davids. Marloes is particularly grim.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

I lived there all this year cos of work and will be there all next year too! The pubs are ok but due to the nature of the town, the beer gardens aint too hot! Bar 10 for peroni on tap, avoid the mariners and its stein night every wednesday at the lifeboat! Very busy in the summer hols. Brechfa is 45 mins away and afan 1hr 20mins. Great beaches too. Anyone know of any flats suitable for a long term let and a new born baby? On the cheap round those parts

tonyg2003

Yep trip to Caldy Island is good too but not as good as it used to be with the DUCK transfers.

Oakwood is also one of the most underrated theme parks in the UK. Great rollercoasters.

lister

Tenby is best in the autumn when everyone has gone home, there’s always a beach out of the wind, good places to eat and drink and only 15 mins from home 🙂
    REALLY don’t bother with Bluestone, it’s not worth it at all (I should know, I built some of it!)
    Folly Farm great for small kids in any weather.
    Other than that, get on the coast path and find those beaches and coves away from the usual…there are some real special places out here…wish I could share them with you 😉

lister

oh yeah, and don’t bother with St David’s…there has been some shark jumping recently, it’s got a Fat Face shop now FFS.

IdleJon

lister – Member
    Folly Farm great for small kids in any weather.

Keep an eye out for the testosterone charges fathers ‘accompanying’ the kids as ‘co-drivers’ on the go karts.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I think bluestone is great if you can get a deal. Much Much Better than centreparks IME!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Tenby is chavtastic in season. However you don’t have to go far outside it to avoid them. From Penally along to Stackpole is nice. Barafundle Bay is a gem. There are National Trust cottages for rent in Stackpole next to Barafundle.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tenby’ is closed to new replies.