Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tenants are splitting up, and the one who wants to stay is unemployed…
  • crapknees
    Free Member

Right, a quick one hopefully. Just been informed out of the blue that my tenants have found out that they dont get on as spectacularly well as anticipated, and the fella wants out. Havent spoken to both parties just yet (just her), but from what i’ve been told they are still amicable, and he has agreed to pay the rent for the next month or two.

I am of the cynical variety, so am looking at my options. She is unemployed, and i’ve just pointed her in the direction of the local council and housing benefits. I cant (officially) advertise the house until they have served notice of two months.

I’m keen for her to stay as she is a good tenant (and desperate to stay), but ultimately it boils down to someone paying the mortgage, which she currently cant do.

So, put some advertising around locally and hope no other vested parties ie our rental agency or tenants find out, or hope for the best and see what happens after l’ve had chance to speak with them both after this weekend, when he returns from work?

Thoughts?

vanilla83
    Free Member

Give her notice (and do it properly). Advertise the vacancy during that notice period (and let her know; she might even move out sooner). I’d be open & honest with her but blunt at the same time; you need to pay your mortgage and her situation doesn’t look good.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

ex letting agency owner here….

1) Who is on the agreement? They will be more than likely joint and severally liable. His choice to leave, so his problem, you’re legally entitled to chase him for his part.

2) how long of the agreement is left?

3) serve notice on both ASAP.

4) Contact the rent office and find out ASAP how much of the rent the council will pay. They will pay you 4 week in arrears, you will have bother. It may not be from the tenant but the council will delay payments to you via her. Get rid and get a new tenant.

My initial feeling is they say they are splitting up but in reality she will get a claim in for housing benefit and they’ll get back together and not tell council. It’s bloody rife.

ninfan
    Free Member

i) Find out what your LHA (local housing allowance) for the size of property she would be allowed – this should be on the councils website, and denotes the maximum they will (normally) pay in housing benefit for that size property in your area.

ii) Compare this with what you’re charging her

iii) decide accordingly

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Out…sorry, but you know what’s gonna happen otherwise.

Moses

Is it a flat or a house?
    If she’s a good tenant & can get housing benefit, keep her.
    You’ll likely have a void if she leaves, so would lose out anyway. It may be worth asking if she knows any girlfriends who could share.

Talk to them first before doing anything else

crapknees
    Free Member

geordiemick,

They’re both on the agreement, which has just finished (like, last week) it’s first 6 month shorthold agreement. Just got off the phone to the agents who advertised for us – l just need to serve them notice letter, which will give them 2 months, 3 weeks to leave.

Think i’ll try and avoid the council and see what l can do through advertsising the house through every possible channel after the weekend.

To be honest they’re both pretty green – l just had to point her in the direction (text her the phone number) of housing benefits…

Last point – they ‘decorated’ the house using what l assumed was a mop as a paintbrush. I let this go on the proviso it was fixed before they left. If it isn’t, l assume l can take this from the deposit (currently held by the rental agency / TDS)?

andyl
    Free Member

how many bedrooms? If more than one she could have someone take over the BFs lease. Have her find someone she gets on with and then you have the final say.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Last point – they ‘decorated’ the house using what l assumed was a mop as a paintbrush. I let this go on the proviso it was fixed before they left. If it isn’t, l assume l can take this from the deposit (currently held by the rental agency / TDS)?

Yes.

If neither of them have served notice then he’s still liable for half the rent until you have served the two months, so take that from the bond too. He will no doubt expect half of the bond back….

If the property is anything other than a 1 bed flat she won’t get the whole rent/CT covered and she’ll end up from day one struggling to meet her commitments. You can always re-negotiate the rent to cover what she can get then you would have a reliable income stream from it and a long term tenant.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

On your last point, in order to be able to claim that from the deposit, you must have proof (ie photographic evidence) of what they have done upon them leaving the property, and of your asking them to correct it prior to leaving. Written communication must be made, otherwise it is your word against theirs – they could claim that you permitted them to decorate and never asked them to sort it out before leaving.

I had an issue with a landlord when I put a mirror up (I asked first) and there was some slight damage to the paintwork – I fessed up and offered to fix it before I left, and she said no, don’t worry I’m having it redecorated anyway before letting it again. Then the sly cow tried to get it from my deposit anyway. The TDS wouldn’t give it to her, as I told them she’d said it wasn’t an issue and she couldn’t prove that she’d asked me to fix the damage before leaving.

jekkyl

Is she fit?

crapknees
    Free Member

Littlemisspanda,

Its all in writing.

Geordiemick

If neither of them have served notice then he’s still liable for half the rent until you have served the two months, so take that from the bond too. He will no doubt expect half of the bond back….

The rent is still being paid by him, and l have verbal assurance it will continue to be so (I know, I know) for the next couple of months. I assume you mean from this ^^ that his half the deposit is at risk if he goes walkies without notice (1 month)?

ninfan
    Free Member

You can always re-negotiate the rent

Is she fit?

mrmoofo

Is that the “Geordie Mick” from UKBEG ?

project
    Free Member

HB will only be paid for a 1 bed flat,or a room not a house, also if she gets a job she can still claim HB, towards the rent and dont forget there is also the council tax to pay, although she may get a 25%discount for single occupancy.

as above if its a joint tennancy, both are equally liable for the rent, and water electric and other costs.

a well thought out system by the condems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tenants are splitting up, and the one who wants to stay is unemployed…’ is closed to new replies.