• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ten Under Ben 2014 – Who's going?
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Just taken advantage of the £10 entry fee, is anyone else going or done it before?

If you have done it before, how was it?

Northwind

I did it in maybe 2010? Did 3 laps in the rain, in a trio which had become a pair, then spat the dummy 🙂 Not my finest day on a bike, rather tempted to give it another shot now that I can ride a bit.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

How was last years? I was put off with too much happening all on the same weekend, the downhill, the Enduro and the XC. Was it a real strammash or was it OK? What was the parking like? Was there the year before when it was just the XC and it was great, apart from the heat. Being a Yorkshireman living in Scotland the price seems quite reasonable next year though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I was doing the dh and it looked like 10utb went off really well- cheerful crowds and riders, lots of noise and activity. Not sure how busy it was- missed the start, car park felt quieter than 2010 (I ended up parked right out at the far end of the car park but then I turned up at about 2pm!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not sure I’ll bother this year. Its a fair trek up to fortbill and whilst the course is ok theres always a lot of fire road. I’m also not convinced its as well marshalled as something like the glentress 7.

we went up last year with the intention of spending the following day on the downhill course, but 40 mph winds ensured that wasn’t happening

That said, if it was a bit nearer then £10 is a great deal.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Me, persuaded by my wife who is also doing it.

Better dust my bike off 😳

trail_rat
    Free Member

its not as well marshalled ? what a strange basis for doing an event or not…..

im entered

time to dust off the MTB and see if i remember how to ride it fast for a long time- its been a while.

Pyro

Been saying I should do it for a while, might be the year!

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Love a trip up to Fort Bill a couple of times a year but not so keen on the £50(i think) entry fee but for a tenner I’m defo in. Already signed up

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve done it before. It’s a great event, but a long way from here.

A £10 entry and £120 on diesel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mon rich 😉 you know you want too !

rotten
    Free Member

I did the first one back in 2005, never been back since so it’s on the list for next year.

richpips
    Free Member

mon rich 😉 you know you want too !

I’d like to, though I’ve got a couple of things up that way planned already next year. HT550 and the Worlds 24.

Marital harmony suggests I don’t spend all of our disposable income on trips away.

boxelder

I’ve entered, solo.
    Did it solo in 2008? (hot and dusty and fantastic).
    Give you a lift Pyro!

tpbiker
    Free Member

its not as well marshalled ? what a strange basis for doing an event or not…..

I’d agree, which is why I gave the reasons for potentially not going in the previous sentence….ie its miles away and the course isn’t great…

As for my comment…when a third of the field can go the wrong way (as they did in 2012) due to lack of signage/marshalls I’d say its something that needs addressed.

DavidM
    Free Member

All signed up. Was there last year but arrived towards the end of 10utb and only did the Enduro the next day. It was reet good. Hopefully it’ll feasible to race 10 under and the enduro again this year, although I suppose the enduro course might be beefed up a bit as it is a Scottish Series round

radoggair
    Free Member

As for my comment…when a third of the field can go the wrong way (as they did in 2012) due to lack of signage/marshalls I’d say its something that needs addressed.

well since the first 2/3 went the right way ( and i’ll add this was the very first lap where everyone was bunched together, well most people) and the other 1/3 ended up following the rider who had his head down and blatantly missed the sign to turn then the signage wasn’t the problem, maybe not paying attention where to go. Same thing happened in british nats champs where lead 3 or 4 riders had there head down and missed the turn right sign and ended up doing another 2km because of it.

Course last year was pretty good, pretty fast with some great sections

radoggair
    Free Member

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Done it twice before, both when it pi55ed down, unlike all the years I haven’t done it when it’s been scorchio. Now entered as a solo. Get there early on Friday for a decent pitch .

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I booked a hotel room last night, there was hardly anything left for the Friday/Saturday night; not sure if that’s down to this being on or whether it’s always busy round there at that time of year,

cupra
    Free Member

I haven’t been for a few years so might enter. An interesting marketing strategy as I bet loads of people will sign up for a tenner then drop out but as no refunds are given……

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up, entered, what a bargain!

kcal

did several near the start (was it 10 years ago??) though not the very first one. Quads, Trios, as a Pair as well..

Fell out of the way of it (and fell out with team mates) but returned this one just passed (2013) and had a blast, despite falling off on first lap when I realised I was headed down Nessie and hadn’t actually ridden it before.

Do it!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ten Under Ben 2014 – Who's going?’ is closed to new replies.