Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ten Speed XT Cassettes does anyone else break them?
  • shortcut

Towards the end of tonight’s ride I had yet another XT cassette failure. The rings separate from the second spider.

I have done this 3 times now twice with the 5 arm spiders and now with a six arm.

Anyone else get these issues?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Never had a single failure with an xt cassette and ive gone through a good few.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Never seen one fail and I have some heavy mates that snap chains.

Fantombiker

Yes, just had one go, never happened to me before, faulty batch?

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got quite abit of play in the rivets on my current one has done 3000km tho so can forgive it.

medoramas
    Free Member

It happened twice to me. Both times CRC accepted the cassettes back under warranty.

SLX or Deore for me now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shortcut, I’ve never seen an XT failure and TBH it does sound like a cassette problem to me, but we had a chap in the shop who kept breaking cassettes (smaller cogs) and in the end it turned out to be a freehub problem: it simply wasn’t fitting snug enough on the splines. With that in mind are you sure your freehub body isn’t worn and that the cassette is torqued down sufficiently?
    I’m imagining the answer is “yes” but it’s worth checking. 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Got any spacers on the hub?

shortcut

Free hub is newer than the cassette, it is all torqued down, it is just a failure and it will be going back to CRC. The rivets loosen off and the casting breaks.

I have done this before and it is on different batches of cassette.

Just a little rubbish.

Pete – I will send you a pic later.

ac282

I know of a few people who are serial cassette breakers but I have never done it myself.

I must be too weak 🙁

jazzer
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago cassette was what I’d expect to be middle aged and broke at the connection to the spider. Wish I’d seen this thread before as I’d have sent it back!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ten Speed XT Cassettes does anyone else break them?’ is closed to new replies.