Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Temporary car insurance
  • damitamit
    Free Member

Currently trying to sell my car and the insurance runs out tomorrow. It will be sold in the next month or so but still want to use it briefly in this time, so wanted to get insurance for just a month.

What is the best way to do this? Are there special insurance companies for this sort of policy?

br
    Free Member

If you are looking at buying another car once this one is sold, gets quotes on that car – and then insure your current car for the standard 12 months, with the intention of swapping over.

Otherwise…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have insured a car for a weekend before, it cost a lot and the excess was high, if you do a google search there are loads of companies doing it.

damitamit
    Free Member

Already have bought another car and insurance so would have nothing to swap over to.

Admiralable
    Free Member

try the current company with a temporary vehicle

IHN

probably easiest to renew the existing cover, then cancel it and get a refund when you sell it. Temporary insurance is expensive.

Can't you drive it with third party cover from the insurance you have on the other car?

northshoreniall

hideously expensive, was in same situation last week. Just add it as temporary car to new policy if can. I wanted to do temporary on my new one until sold old and swap no claims over with policy to "new" car but was £250 for 1 month on an 11year old diesel ibiza 😯

Admiralable
    Free Member

Can't you drive it with third party cover from the insurance you have on the other car?

Car has to be insured already to do DOC. His cheapest option is to add a temporary vehicle to current policy. Rather than a whole new temporary insurance cover.

Everywhen
    Free Member

I would think not, as both vehicles are owned by the same person.

Rich_s

Car has to be insured already to do DOC

Nope – although some insurers may try to apply this rule it would be difficult to uphold as how can you (as a private individual) make sure the car is already insured?

damitamit
    Free Member

The car for sale is actually in my father's name, if that makes a difference.

Everywhen
    Free Member

Even though the car is not in your name, and you could possibly drive it with third party cover on your policy(not all policies allow this), the vehicle still has to have its own policy for this to be the case.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Nope – although some insurers may try to apply this rule it would be difficult to uphold as how can you (as a private individual) make sure the car is already insured?

If stopped by the police (or in an accident) they will check that the car's owner has valid insurance, they have given consent for the third party to drive and that the driver has a valid insurance policy. Oh and for DOC for most companies you need to be over 25 and not in a motor industry job role. So no manufacturers, sales staff…….

helps to work for an insurance company 😉

The car can be added to a policy even in your fathers name. You don't have as much "insurable interest" but you still have some. So you'll be paying less than if you insured a strangers car (which you can do)

Drac

By asking or by checking his insurance after all it's his car.

speaker2animals

If you can't get a temporary vehicle cover on your existing insurance I would think that the cheapest way is to re-insure the car to be sold but take the monthly payment option rather than pay the full amount and then ask for a refund. Then when you sell the car simply cancel the insurance and SO/DD payment. That should be a LOT cheaper than any of the temporary policies, which, as stated above, also impose pretty hefty excesses. When I looked the lowest Excess was £500!

Rich_s

helps to work for an insurance company

Oh, right. I guess I just work for a better one then. 😉

By asking or by checking his insurance after all it's his car.

…and how would you know it was valid?

You don't have as much "insurable interest" but you still have some.

Brilliant!

Drac

…and how would you know it was valid?

Well if I was insured and wanted to check it's valid I'd contact my insurer.

Rich_s

Yes, my apologies for not being clear. How would you check someone else's insurance was valid on the car you're about to drive?

Jamie
    Free Member

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

Rich_s

Only valid to within 7 days. Next!

Drac

How would you check someone else's insurance was valid on the car you're about to drive?

That's not the issue here now is it as the car he wants the insurance for is his own. But I'd say if you ask the third part for their certificate then you'd taken reasonable steps, which is better than saying in court that you'd never asked.

Rich_s

Exactly right Drac – that's the point. I doubt the clause on DOC in many insurer's policies would be supported in a complaint to the ombudsman, particularly as some insurers do not apply such a clause and the only reason for it would be to strip cover out (i.e., turn claims down).

The OP needs to find an insurer who does no admin/cancellation fee cover. He is a keeper of the vehicle so would trip up on the DOC cover anyway.

Drac

Exactly right Drac

Rich_s

LOL. If you keep doing that you'll go blind.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ecar do short term policies online

konabunny
    Free Member

Would you be interested in switching? your temporary insurance spam providings to a provider that provides a better service of temporary insurance spam providings than your current spam providings?

Saccades
    Free Member

heh, i used temp cover when i was getting a new to me car from uk to ireland, as irish firm wouldn’t insure for some reason.

good and very easy to use.

which reminds me, i was basically told i couldn’t insure more than 1 car in my name. when i win the lottery what am i going to do? a speed 12 isn’t that great for carrying a bike and 2 kids…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Temporary car insurance’ is closed to new replies.