Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Temporary car cover garage tent thing, any recommendations?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Need something to park a car under for a few months, got the space, maybe something like this:
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cig1216-heavy-duty-instant-garage

Are these any good, not too flimsy with winter weather coming etc? Any other recommendations? I guess needs to be about 3m x 6m.
    Cheers

nickjb
    Free Member

I have a similar sized marquee from Gala Tents. I think it was a little cheaper but similar price. Its pretty sturdy. You can hang from one of the cross beams. With the corners tied down it’ll take a decent gust of wind. Not 100% water proof, you do get a little dribble down the inside in heavy rain (only at the edge, no drips in the middle), but pretty good overall

This is mine when we used it as the communal space at a group camping do:

PS. take a ladder if you want fairy lights in the roof

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We use similar things to that machine mart one at work, demos and suchlike at dealers/events.

Only issue I’ve heard of is they don’t really like being assembled and disassembled repeatedly (they sell them on after a couple of years as they start to look a bit tatty/wobbly for business events)

And you have to be careful in high winds, they can move around unless they are really firmly anchored down.

Yak

There was something like this in the classifieds a few weeks ago. Seemed optimistic, but appears maybe not!

edit- it was an indoor car tent so no good.

Stoner
    Free Member

a cheap marquee would do, and spend the rest on some concrete filled buckets and ratchet straps.

nickjb
    Free Member

a cheap marquee would do

Not a very cheap one. My first was £60 from ebay. The poles where like those handles from pound shop mops and the fabric leaked in so many places. First wind tore it to pieces and bent several poles. I gaffa taped it back together but it didn’t go on much longer.

ratchet straps

That’s what I use for guy lines. Perfect for the job. I’ve got four giant tent pegs and a strap in each corner. You can just about see one through the door in the pic above.

finishthat
    Free Member

Can you not use a decent car cover ? If one of those tent things gets loose it will bash/scratch the car – not worth the risk .

redstripe
    Free Member

^ car cover, not really, might want to tinker occasionally and perhaps want wet weather cover for other use too in the future e.g. events/parties etc. Tying down securely seems key – thanks for the other tips above too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Temporary car cover garage tent thing, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.