• This topic has 63 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nerd.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Temperature of your coffee
  • maccruiskeen

Certainly a thing in Spain.

As in a hot coffee with ice cubes? Rather than an iced coffee?

no idea elsewhere.

We’ll if coffee on the rocks is your thing then the costa-operated canteen in the old Motorola factory in Bathgate is the place to get it, although you’ll also feel slightly anxious as the building is now mostly occupied by the HMRC. The canteen only accepts cash which is a little weird given the clientele.

sbob
    Free Member

doris5000 – Member

any place with a big machine will probably be able to fashion some drinkable coffee

I use one of these if I’ve run out of Gold Blend:
    http://www.conti-espresso.co.uk/products/cc100

Makes a passable espresso.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I also found that warming the cup to about 30-35 degrees is best, assuming ambient temp is 22 degrees.

mogrim

As in a hot coffee with ice cubes? Rather than an iced coffee?

That’s the one. You get an espresso sized coffee (or maybe a bit more), and a glass with ice in it. Add sugar if needed to the hot coffee, then pour the whole thing into the glass with ice. Depending on how fast you drink it it’s more or less watered down.

BigJohn

I usually have a double espresso at home. Not fussed about the temp, last bit is usually quite cool. But I always warm the glass first.

When riding I drink plain water exclusively. But in summer, when I get home, sometimes I find nothing will quench my thirst except an iced coffee. It’s the only time I ever drink milk. With added ice cubes, double cream, triple shot espresso, sugar, sugar, sugar, and vanilla ice cream.

toby1

I think I’m a bit in love with people getting angry about coffee making and the pomp and circumstance that surrounds it.

There are far more important and relevant things to give a damn about that impact your life and the world more than a guy with a beard and a pipette dripping his coffee into a cup. But let’s attack the real problem people here 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I feel like I do!

CountZero

I **** hate people calling themselves a barista like it’s some kind of skill. Translated from Italian, it’s bartender. Fk off and pour my coffee and no, I don’t want a poppy seed muffin.

I honestly couldn’t give a shit what they call themselves, just so long as my mocha is hot and has a nice load of cream on the top, and can I have a lemon and poppy seed muffin with it as well, please.

dannyh
    Free Member

Nice and hot, please. The whole ‘too hot and it scorches the beans’ thing seems to be the preserve of tedious tosspots, so in protest I say nothing less than boiling point will do.

vickypea
    Free Member

Coffee making is a skill. Where I live there are lots of cafes, but only about 2 of them can actually make a cappuccino. The rest of them give you a huge cup filled to the brim with super-heated scalding hot non-frothed milk.

kayak23

I was given a barely used Gaggia classic the other day. I usually use my Aeropress which seems great to me.

First thing that annoyed me was you can’t get a normal sized mug under the thing…. Only poncy little kids cups.

I think it’s maybe lost on me 😀

Best site suggestions that tell you how to use it to it’s best in a simple and non-whiny cockbag way?

RichPenny
    Free Member

There are far more important and relevant things to give a damn about that impact your life and the world more than a guy with a beard and a pipette dripping his coffee into a cup. But let’s attack the real problem people here

It’s just a hobby for people to work their mental quirks out on, bit like cycling, cameras, cars and other common first world hobbies on here.

72.4 degrees for me.

EDIT: For Kayak you could have a look a coffee forums but that’s probably way too much detail. Must be some youtube guides for a classic. Buy some nice beans first is always a good start. I would go with these:

Monsoon Malabar

redmex
    Free Member

vickypea the other end of the spectrum either boiling hot weak coffee or great velvety flat white but no heat i just want 68 degrees.
    Im guessing some baristas are thinking their ears are better than a thermometer as they play with the milk

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We have drive thru coffee here. Genius. Decent coffee too. Long macc topped up 3/4. Poifect

Dickyboy

My dad grinds fresh coffee beans, hovers over the kettle so it doesn’t quite reach boiling point to make his daily brew – he also claims to have no sense of taste or smell – if he wasn’t so deaf I’d do the fake noises trick and present him with a watered down cup of nescafe sometime 😈

jimjam
    Free Member

I saw this in the shop last night and it reminded me of this thread….

…I seem to remember a time when coffee was just drink not a pseudo religion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

**** coffee temp at the moment . My current locale means the temperature of my supernoodles is far more important

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think I’m a bit in love with people getting angry about coffee making and the pomp and circumstance that surrounds it.

granted, it’s quite amusing. i can almost image the quizzical and slightly gormless look as they struggle with the concept of existential brew methods like cold brew or syphon.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I always thought the coffee/tea shops drinks were lukewarm so you’d just drink them straight away and leave your seats quickly for the next customer, rather than sitting for 20 minutes (buying nothing else) waiting for it to cool down.

mefty
    Free Member

Call me gormless, but how on earth can a brew method be existential.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Back in the days when I used sugar, it too would be warmed as would the teaspoon. The temp drop when using a cold spoon was unbearable.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Call me gormless, but how on earth can a brew method be existential.

no idea, just thought it might upset the nescafe lot

stumpy01

You can’t even alter the temperature of the coffee that comes out of my Dolce Gusto machine…. 🙁

nerd
    Free Member

Is “pour over*” coffee still a thing, or has that died a hipster death as well?

* a fancy hipster name for filter coffee.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Temperature of your coffee’ is closed to new replies.