• This topic has 63 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nerd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Temperature of your coffee
  • redmex
    Free Member

As i write this im enjoying my coffee made with fresh ground beans and the gaggia classic.I like a fairly strong double shot with frothed milk and the blue lid milk is taken to 70 degrees no more, the cup was heated with hot water and i easily get ten mins to drink my coffee.
    Why is it almost all baristas now go so low and by the time i get my £2.80 flat white or cap it is lukewarm? I feel like taking my kitchencraft thermometer with me to prove its temp. You can gulp some coffees down in one go , great coffee and pattern but you dare not chat to your partner get it down in 60s

tails
    Free Member

Probably as some saddo will sue them if anything hotter than tepid touches their little mouth. You could ask for it hotter I guess.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Personally I’ll pull the water off at 90-95 degrees and take it from a, preheated, Tom Dixon mug. No milk added as I find it removes flavour and adds a milky smell which detracts from the full coffee experience.
    A true barista should be able to tailor the drink to suit your needs.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think the milk starts to change in taste over 60c. That isn’t especially hot. I’d imagine it looses 15c being poured into a cold / room temp. mug.

Being a teacher/student/parent means I can’t remember the last time I had a cup of tea or coffee where the second half wasn’t tepid.

I do break the STW stereotype though as, unless a special occasion or in a cafe, I’m a Nescafe Gold Blend drinker with microwaved UHT milk and a shiteload of sugar.

mefty
    Free Member

Cappuccini are served “tepido” in Italy.

scotroutes

Milk?

In coffee?

jimjam
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread on this just last week?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yu
    Is
    Ovr
    Fink
    In
    It

joshvegas
    Free Member

Complaning about milk in coffee is like complaining you received the wrong kind of shit in your shit sandwich

bruneep

Where is Colin with his kettle?

mogrim

I always have it black with ice, so pretty cold.

martinhutch

Wait until they’ve finished whatever awesome barista art they’ve got planned, then get them to stick it in the microwave for a few seconds.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I’m on the cold brew here, 6/1 ratio and 24hour steep, so I suppose I’m not the person to ask about temperature and milk

toby1

I’m a Nescafe Gold Blend drinker with microwaved UHT milk and a shiteload of sugar.

Over 3 ingredients, that’s not a coffee, it’s a cocktail, just add a straw and paper unberella 😉

Espresso or Americano (small ones so not too much water) are my preferred method of consumption.

redmex
    Free Member

Jimjam there probably is a new thread ever week concerning coffee but im in Edinburgh most weekends wasting money in hip coffee joints. One of the best with coffee for me was peckhams but its shut down like planet x maybe its the rates there or wind of a new motorway around arthurs seat

Nico
    Free Member

Personally I’ll pull the water off at 90-95 degrees

Me too. Every time. Pull it off, I say.

Northwind

I haven’t a clue what temperature it’s at because I’m not a thermometer but because I drink black coffee, if I boil the kettle, the drink’s too hot. And if I leave it to cool, I forget to drink it then end up having it cold.

So it is boiled to just the point where the kettle starts making bubbly noises.

willard

I swear, everyone on this thread must wear tight jeans, have a ratty little beard and styled hair. Arch-hipsters the lot of you.

Northwind

If it helps persuade you otherwise, I’m drinking tesco own brand instant

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought the water temperature needed to be hot enough to break down the structure of the grounds to release the flavour but not too hot which would scald/burn the grounds. Somewhere in the 80-90C range.

Just don’t ask for tea in the States – they use the same temperature water that they do for coffee to make it, just not hot enough!

trail_rat
    Free Member

24 hrs to make a cuppa ron jeremy .

Bit hard to fit that in to a 20 minute tea break 🙂

ads678

I boil the kettle and then leave it to stop bubbling then pour if instant, if making a posh coffee in my airobie i’ll leave it a little longer so it cools a bit more.

But as it’s after 11 i’m on tea now.

jimjam
    Free Member

redmex
    Jimjam there probably is a new thread ever week concerning coffee but im in Edinburgh most weekends wasting money in hip coffee joints.

Apologies, it was two weeks ago. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-water-temp-affect-instant-coffee-taste

I wouldn’t have mentioned other than I remember it was about temperature. Hardly a shooting offence, like say, starting another thread about Brexit.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

The temperature of the milk affects the size of the bubbles as the milk proteins denature cooler for cappucino for a more open froth and hotter for silky closed froth on a latte and flat white… Or so the tattooed, pierced, styled hipster barista in Coffee Fix Gatley told me. Their coffee is very nice.
    Cups should be prewarmed on the machine.

scotroutes

jimjam – Member

I wouldn’t have mentioned other than I remember it was about temperature. Hardly a shooting offence, like say, starting another thread about Brexit. B+

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

toby1

Ever drunk neat gin? Try it and then compare it to a beautifully made G&T with shattered ice, citrus oil, a (to the uneducated) over-squeeze of lime juice and a deliciously aromatic tonic. Which is betterer…?

Then add a paper umbrella and enjoy the delicious beverage! 🙂

I_did_dab

Did you call them a tosser?

prawny

Flat whites from Yorks in Brum (specifically ones made by Rich) are practically cold, but the flavour – My God!! They’re so good, they give me a judder, honestly.

Sadly (luckily) he’s normally working the roaster now, and I don’t go past now I cycle to work so I don’t go in so often any more.

beej

My kettle has two standard settings, 85C and 100C. I can also set a specific temp in 5C increments. Not tried setting it to 10C yet to see if it does cooling.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I **** hate people calling themselves a barista like it’s some kind of skill. Translated from Italian, it’s bartender. Fk off and pour my coffee and no, I don’t want a poppy seed muffin.

orangespyderman

I **** hate people calling themselves a barista like it’s some kind of skill. Translated from Italian, it’s bartender. Fk off and pour my coffee and no, I don’t want a poppy seed muffin.

^^ This

Stevet1
    Free Member
    toby1

Ever drunk neat gin?

Yes, my brother in law drinks it neat then chews a lemon afterwards, he’s Russian and part bear though so I tend not to join him.

Tried the Sipsmith vjop neat recently but only a tiny amount.

Ooh, I fancy a nice G&T right now.

Coffee, should still be black though, if it’s being served to me anyway 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

aphex_2k – Member

I’m a lowly barkeep and I can assure you that putting up with miserable bastards is indeed quite a skill. 🙂

Coffee, should still be black though

I’m a traditionalist, so black with sugar for me. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I am with OP – I turn the dial off at 160 Fahrenheit here (it will continue to increase in temperature a little to around 165/170).

maccruiskeen

I always have it black with ice, so pretty cold.

Is that a thing? I bought a coffee from a costa place and asked for a glass off tap water too

“Ice?”

“Yes please”

And she put a bunch of ice cubes in my coffee. I sort of presumed she was offering to put them in the glass of water. She didn’t seem to think she’d made a mistake.

jon1973
    Free Member

Surely all the hot air generated when people talk about coffee is enough to keep it at a reasonable temperature.

Nico
    Free Member

I **** hate people calling themselves a barista like it’s some kind of skill. Translated from Italian, it’s bartender.

Indeed it is. I heard recently that it was a word coined in the 30s by Mussolini and co because the American word “barman” was becoming popular (I suppose I should say “getting traction” in a thread where people are pulling water and shattering ice) in Italy, and was deemed unpatriotic. Funny that they should have re-exported it so much more effectively many decades later.

mogrim

Is that a thing? I bought a coffee from a costa place and asked for a glass off tap water too

“Ice?”

“Yes please”

And she put a bunch of ice cubes in my coffee. I sort of presumed she was offering to put them in the glass of water. She didn’t seem to think she’d made a mistake.

Certainly a thing in Spain, no idea elsewhere. I nearly always order tea in the UK, as the coffee’s usually pretty rank.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

@mcph no because a) it would be rude, b) because we asked why the cappuccino wasn’t very hot, and c) because it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.
    Why? Do you know him?

doris5000

I nearly always order tea in the UK, as the coffee’s usually pretty rank.

I normally go the other way – maybe I’m less fussy about coffee (only drink black Americano) but any place with a big machine will probably be able to fashion some drinkable coffee. But the accepted norm when you order a brew is to give you some warm water and a teabag, so you can make your own tepid beige water.

When I rule the world, any place that claims to be ‘passionate about great coffee’ but can’t manage to put boiling water on a teabag will be first against the wall etc etc etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Temperature of your coffee’ is closed to new replies.