Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Telly: How should it all end?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Following on from this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/telly-what-are-you-following

How do you think your favourite Telly Programme should end?

Blake 7 style blood bath. The Wire style ‘the more things change, the more that stay the same, a Sopranos esq fade to black or worse – how many US sit-coms end – flogged to death until the stars massive over-blown salary demands and falling audience figures make it unprofitable and they cut it – no ending as such, it just stops.

A few twists and turns along the way, I can probably guess how GoT will end, but there’s some others:

Better call Saul, I’d personally like to see at least a series of Saul Goodman being Saul Goodman.

House of Cards, there doesn’t seem to be an obvious end in sight – another term before retirement, or does all this evil acts catch up with him?

jam-bo

I’m still annoyed they never made the last episode of Dungeons and Dragons.

Cougar

The script exists though. It’s called “Requiem,” You can find it on the Interwebs (or could, at least).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

There’s an interesting story behind “Lost”

the writers have pretty much admitted that they carried on because the network just kept re-commissioning the series and throwing large bundles of used notes at them. One of the writers said something along the lines of “Once we had an episode story line that was essentially the meaning behind some Tattoos, they knew it was time to stop”

trailwagger
    Free Member

Sons and Daughters had the best ending ever!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Every TV show should end with someone waking up in bed, rubbing their eyes and saying ……..”It was only a dream”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never did catch the end of Ulysses either. That and dungeons and dragons were absolute classics.

DezB
    Free Member

With a resolution! Instead of just dragging on for series after series after series like some dull soap opera with zombies getting their heads caved in every few minutes. erm.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dunno, resolution can carry it’s own issues. See Dollhouse.

P-Jay
    Free Member

nickc – Member

There’s an interesting story behind “Lost”

Worst thing to happen to TV ever! Each episode just served as a build-up to a cliffhanger that was rarely if ever as dramatic as it seemed on the next episode – I think watching via DVD boxset saved me a lot of wasted time – I was sure that the little cliffhanger at the end showed more than actually happned in the next episode and I was right! They actually added things that didn’t actually happen in the end.

jam-bo

I know. but at the age of 9 the internet barely existed

Northwind

Cancel it in the middle of making the 4th season. Then as soon as they frantically tie up all the plot lines in one rushed season, commission another season after all.

LeeW

End it like they did in the Trueman show, camera pans back to a couple of guys watching the ‘show’ on a TV in a security booth.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s only one series that had a perfect ending….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just stop it at the end of the first series leaving all of the plot lines unresolved.

I’m looking at you Flash Forward.

P-Jay
    Free Member

DezB – Member

With a resolution! Instead of just dragging on for series after series after series like some dull soap opera with zombies getting their heads caved in every few minutes. erm.
    Assume you’re talking about Walking Dead?

Yeah, I fear that one is going to drag on and on, from a purely business point of view it’s got a very long potential life.

Only very good TV shows that are writer lead get to have a proper arc and end on a high, Walking Dead lost it’s creative leader early on.

The ones lead by the studios will keep pumping them out until they not profitable anymore. TWD still gets big audiences, they’ve fallen a lot, but it’s cheap to make.

The lead actors aren’t on much – the main stars get $90k an episode, and there’s 15 episodes a year – so Andrew Lincoln gets paid $1.35m a year – nice work if you can get it – but by contrast the Actors on The Big Bang Theory get $1m an episode – and they make 24 of them a year.

They’re not afraid to kill off characters, or if needed just write them out for a few episodes or half a series and bring in new ones.

It’s not massively expensive to make either – most sets are the same empty highway, or woods, they’re sponsored by the state of Georgia for those so they just need to build the odd little town every few series.

They’re cutting costs on make-up and GCI too, some of the last series looked really ropey, like Sharknado 3 ropey.

I think it’ll follow the same format for years yet, getting cheaper and cheaper until it’s left on some random channel you’ve never heard of. They’ll be roaming the wilderness, fresh zoms around every corner, they’ll find some new sanctuary, there will be a bit of a ding dong with it’s current occupiers which will all work out in the end (after a few red shirts die), bit of soap opera and oh no – here comes a new Mr. Baddie.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnmbiN4xjE[/video]

Very strange ending to a favourite series of mine, never sat well with me, but then what ending would?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I like “holy mother” endings that leave lots of loose ends and questions. A character doing something totally unpredictable.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t conclude it, then revive it 20 odd years later with no plot, just weird scenes with the old actors wearing strange contact lenses. But don’t have the most gorgeous woman from the old series in it, cos it’ll ruin our memories of her. Perfect.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m still annoyed they never made the last episode of Dungeons and Dragons.

I’m still annoyed they never finished the LotR cartoon.

lazybike
    Free Member

I think the Sopranos and the Wire got it right. I think Homeland missed a trick, they should have had Brody detonate the bomb, they could have had 10 series of filling in the backstory.

johnx2
    Free Member

I think it’ll follow the same format for years yet, getting cheaper and cheaper until it’s left on some random channel you’ve never heard of. They’ll be roaming the wilderness, fresh zoms around every corner, they’ll find some new sanctuary, there will be a bit of a ding dong with it’s current occupiers which will all work out in the end (after a few red shirts die), bit of soap opera and oh no – here comes a new Mr. Baddie.

Oi! Spoiler alert!

slowoldman

A sprint on the Champs Elysees. Oh, it did.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think that before a series airs there should be a definite storyline leading to a conclusion, BY LAW.

See also book trilogies, I am fed up investing in a story only to have it just peter out.

zippykona

The Shield drove me mad with its ending. Where was Vic going ,what was he going to do,? Surely someone was going to get some and he would go out in a blaze of infamy.
    [video]https://youtu.be/gC4L5-C_VJM[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy got it right IMO. There were a few filler seasons in the middle which felt a bit soap opera, but the final story arc and tying up all the plots and characters was brilliant.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not like Dexter… 😡

jwt
    Free Member

‘The good wife’ just sort of ended, no real conclusion, hope the same doesn’t happen to the ‘good fight’. Good characters and good actors -they deserve better.
    As for book trilogy’s,when will Patrick Rothfuss finish ‘doors of stone’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will he ever?

CountZero

Cancel it in the middle of making the 4th season. Then as soon as they frantically tie up all the plot lines in one rushed season, commission another season after all.

Ha! Nobody would be stupid enough…
    Oh, wait…

colournoise

CountZero – Member

Ha! Nobody would be stupid enough…
    Oh, wait…
    Confused…

Breaking Bad or Babylon 5?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Confused…
    Breaking Bad

I presumed they filmed and alternate ending where he lived just incase they commissioned another series. Same in other series, they could have just killed him in the plane crash.

wwaswas

Question Time

Farage is only allowed on the show if he does the whole thing naked sat behind a glass desk. At a random point in the show a bucket of cat sick is emptied over his head, he’s not allowed to wipe it off in any way and must continue answering questions. Other panel members will have a boxing glove on a stick they can poke him with when he is not talking.

He is allowed to return as often as he likes as long as he sticks to these rules.

AlexSimon

There should be a law making studios always give a season’s notice on cancelling a show. That way the writers have always got chance to end it.
    Flash Forward
    American Gothic
    Invasion
    Sense8

Are all ones I was watching that never ended properly.

On Medium the writers got about an episode’s notice, and they did a crap job!

thomthumb
    Free Member

sons of anarchy was the worst ending. It’s over 100 hours long – i invested some of my life in this.

final episode he rides round on a bike tieing up 7 series worth of loose ends for a nice tidy finish.

I wish i’d stopped 1 episode short.

Pook

Quantum Leap. Rush job on a cancellation.

Doctor Sam Beckett never returned home.

beej

There’s only one series that had a perfect ending….

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

funkmasterp

I liked how The Wire ended, Black Sails and the original Danish The Killing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Wire ended right IMHO.

All storylines ended without too much last episode rush.

All surviving characters shown moving into new lives.

More than that though it showed that after all the drama, all the pain, suffering and killing nothing had changed, the game was still the game. It was sad and satisfying at the same time.

sweepy
    Free Member

As for book trilogy’s,when will Patrick Rothfuss finish ‘doors of stone’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will he ever?

This was precisely who I was meaning.
    And that ‘small regard’ novella was ok, but he could have been writing the actual bloody book!

twistedpencil

If your bringing books into it don’t be waiting on James Elroy….

I still wait for the Deadwood movie to tie up the series…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Telly: How should it all end?’ is closed to new replies.