Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)
  • Tell us your accent
  • SaxonRider

As per RedThunder’s request on the favourite accents thread…

I speak Canadian. Winnipeg to be precise, although I think my ‘r’s are slightly less pronounced after 15 years in the UK.

Kryton57

Pure Sussex with a London lilt.

Smudger666

no one can get mine…..

Yorkshire till i was 9, north of Scotland till 17, Aberdeen for 11 year while dating a Geordie for 4 of those. Now resident in Fife for 21yrs.

i drop H’s depending on company kept.

Northwind

I don’t have one- everyone else does.

Oh OK then, Edinburgh middle class scottish with a whiff of council scheme.

v8ninety

Midwelsh border/nouveau Shropshire. No one out of the area seems to be able to place me. Northerners think I sound welsh, southerners think I sound brummie, Brummies think I sound posh, Americans think I sound Australian. Dunno what Australians think.

whitestone
    Free Member

South Cumbrian. Quite what that means/sounds like I’ve no idea but I know that it’s sufficiently different from N. Yorks (where I currently live), North Cumbria and Lancashire that if I drop back into dialect then few from outside the area would understand me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Deepest, thickest Lanarkshire.

Indistinguishable to Glaswegian except to anyone from Lanarkshire or Glasgow.

I am, however a complete accent sponge and will subconciously take on the intonation of those around me in a very short timescale.

A bit unfortunate if ye work wi’ Fifers eh?

jimjam
    Free Member

You know when Liam Neeson is trying to do an American or mid Atlantic accent but still sounds like an Ulster man eating a chip butty – a younger version of that.

nickc

RP

family are all services/civil service, we moved every 2 years or so (mostly abroad), I went to grammar school. For this I am eternally grateful as I was born in Wolverhampton

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yorkshire 🙂

And proud of it!

Dolcered

Lanarkshire with a hint of Irish.

Moses

Smoggie/Bristol mix.

longmover
    Free Member

Essex, East London, Australian and Cornish. It’s a bit of an odd one.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A mish-mash of rural East Anglian meets RP, depending on how many beverages I’ve consumed.

emsz
    Free Member

sort of bristol-ish? moved from Banbury when I was about 8 or 9 now live back in oxfordshire. People I work with take the piss a little bit and call me bumpkin..grrrrr

Yak

Southern nothingness. Occasionally drop in a few regional bits and pieces from past places without thinking.

Drac

Ah now you’re asking.

NE is has a vast array of accents many within just a few miles. It’s easy just to say Georidei but mine is really a mix of Geordie and Northumbrian but I don’t roll my Rs.

Ulster man eating a chip butty – a younger version of that.

New potatoes in flour?

lunge

Brummie with a hint of a black Country twang, but quite soft due to time spent working and living further south.

tewit
    Free Member

East Lancashurrrr. 🙂

siwhite
    Free Member

RP here, and tend to get labelled as ‘posh’ by lots of folk as a result of prep school.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Deepest, thickest Lanarkshire.

Having been brought up in Motherwell (so probably not quite as deep as perchy) I like to think that this is the accent I have. However as people generally think I’m from Edinburgh I may be mistaken!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Having been brought up in Motherwell (so probably not quite as deep as perchy)

Pure Wishy, am ur. 😉

plumber
    Free Member

Lancashire via Canadia via London

Proper shit f’sure hey

prawny

Soft black country I think, similar to black country, but phone and spoon are still one syllable words.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Pure Wishy, am ur.

Wishy is totally different from Weggie. Easy to tell the difference, use a lot of different words as well. 😉

ton

blunt flat Yorkshire. but more Barnsley than harrowgate….. 😀

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Public schooled Somerset with a hint of S African mum

crazyjenkins01

Apparently Janner, but I just don’t hear it…

Dolcered

🙂 who knew Motherwell had so many bikers.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Posh S. Devon with a little Norn Iron swearing vocab acquired from my wife.

brakes
    Free Member

Boro + Yorkshire with all the corners knocked off having lived in London for too long.
    Pretty much only the Boro vowel sounds remain.

cheese@4p

Keighley

hjghg5
    Free Member

Warwickshire. Not a particularly distinctive accent but someone I’d never met before correctly identified it once so there must be something there. It also has Yorkshire bits to it (have lived here for over 20 years and my grandparents have always been here) e.g. shorter vowels than my Warwickshire friends and using some local phrases.

kayak23

Warwickshire…So I sound just normal but am surrounded by people who talk funny.

DezB
    Free Member

Central Sarf Coast Common Scumbag.

perchypanther
    Free Member

who knew Motherwell had so many bikers.

Anyone who’s tried to walk their dog round Chatters / Mauldslie / Camby Priory woods on a warm summers evening?

kayla1
    Free Member

Geordie (North Shields), but with a little Peterlee/Seaham twang after 10 years with my other half.

martymac

@perchy
    A true fifer would never admit to working

ferrals
    Free Member

I was once told I had a strong hampshire accent by someone who has no idea where i was from (they were correct). which is kind of bizarre as i didnt know hampshire had an accent (its a massive and varied county after all), let alone it could be strong.

I’m also an accent sponge so now sound pretty welsh though

scaled
    Free Member

Mine is a bloody mess – I’m an accent sponge. Surrey until I was 18, then Aberystwyth for a bit. When i came home I got in the taxi and couldn’t make the shapes with my mouth to make London vowel sounds when I tried 😀

Then Northampton where i spent a lot of time with Americans, then South Wales, Bristol and the last 8 years in Manchester.

It really depends on how drunk I am and the company that i’m in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Tell us your accent’ is closed to new replies.