Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 247 total)
  • Tell us something interesting from your work/speciality
  • huws
    Free Member

If the closing roof on Wimbledon’s Centre Court was to continue at the same speed it would take 12 hours to reach Buckingham palace.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I work with a chap whose job description is “Principal Horn”.

anokdale
    Free Member

Stoner – I guess my bosses house in Gargaresh at 12000 Libyan Dinars per month is not average then.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

the ground under George Square in glasgow is completely hollow!

The standard lane markings in the middle of a road are called a 1004 marking and has a 2 metre gap for every 4 metre marking

FuzzyWuzzy

Going back a few years we had a request from a client to include someone’s star sign in the car insurance policy calculation as apparently research had shown people with certain star signs were a higher risk – not sure if it ever went live though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The road sign for a mini roundabout (TSRGD 2002 dia. 611.1) has a right way and a wrong way up.

(there should be an arrow at the bottom rather than a gap)

Oh, sorry, you said interesting.

anokdale
    Free Member

The new girl in the BA Ticket office in Tripoli is a stunner sadly half my age. 😳

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The wavelengths used in a G-PON network are 1490nm upstream and 1310nm downstream. If you have a video overlay this adds another upstream wavelength at 1550nm.

G-PON is a fibre to the X standard (where X is home, kerb, cabinet etc.)

soma_rich
    Free Member

The maritime black box (the voyage data recorder) is mandated to record data but there is no legislation regarding the playback of that data.

Stoner
    Free Member

anokdale – that rent would imply something like a 4 or 5 bed house I think 😉

And thanks for the tip off re BA girl. Hopefully going to fernaygle a trip out there in the new year and Ill make a point of looking her up. How old would be too old though? 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Still thinking!!!

AdamW
    Free Member

Erm…. electricity is actually bought and sold every half-hour in wholesale markets. Your meter readings go through half-hour aggregation to give a ‘virtual’ quantity of electricity that you would use for pay-back. For large power users (e.g. smelters > 100kWhr) they are actually metered every half-hour due to the quantities and have much more regular bills.

robdob
    Free Member

wikipedia says it only burnt for 15 years although thats impressive too.

As far as I can find out it still smouldering. Until they are removed it’s always going to be at risk of self igniting.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Re the Tire fire….

Anyone able to find it on Google Maps?! Would have assumed a 15year fire would be viewable!

anokdale
    Free Member

Stoner she must be 22 ish, no scarf which is rare for a local lass and a babe, thick as a Ghurkas fore@skin mind but worth a trip into sort out your seat 😉

Keep out of here until the New Year too many conferences and security about at the moment i am booted out of my normal gaff the Corinthia because the Government want all the rooms !!!!!!!!!! Bless the Colonel and his boys.

numplumz
    Free Member

WITHOUT anyone watching you (you dont want to look like a prat) and
    while sitting in front of your computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

Now, while doing this, draw the number “6” in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.!!!!!!!!!

mattbee

A 9mm MP5PDW has less recoil even in full auto than a .22 Weirauch HW90 air rifle.

numplumz, I’m intrigued as to how that relates to your work or speciality.
    Just what is it you do for a living ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Now, while doing this, draw the number “6” in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.!!!!!!!!!

Even drummers?

And I still can’t think of anything!!! ❓

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think he’s either an assassin, or he works in IT.

chiefgrooveguru

If everything else is equal, a smaller loudspeaker will go lower than a bigger speaker will in the same box.

robdob
    Free Member

Re the Tire fire….
    Anyone able to find it on Google Maps?! Would have assumed a 15year fire would be viewable!

I don’t think you can see it tbh as it burns underground. I’ll try and sort out a location though.

DavidB
    Free Member

Airline reservation systems are still programmed in assembly language on mainframes

LardLover
    Free Member

The formula for working out the endotrachael tube size in children is:

age/4 + 4 (or 4.5).

Or, if you’re in a hurry and don’t know said child’s age just use the width of their little finger and select a tube of the same diameter (approxiamtely).

Also, when cutting said tube to length be sure to use the formula:

age/2 + 12.

Andituk
    Free Member

Re the Tire fire….

Don’t know about the tyres, but theres a wood with ER written in it just north of the railway line 😀

toys19
    Free Member

there is no such thing a a digital specific aerial………..

I love nuggets like this. Ton we should club together and start the anti-marketing bollocks website.

crikey
    Free Member

Elephants don’t have a pleural space; the potential gap between their lungs and their ribcage.

Tiger6791

XHTML 1.1 should not be served as text/html.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The highest electromagnetic power density was found to be 0.008499 W/m2, which is more than 541 times lower than the maximum permitted value of 4.6 W/m2 for public areas set ICNIRP. This value represents a signal strength that is 0.19% of the maximum power density set-down in by ICNIRP.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have been struggling to come up with something, but I thought I would mention that there is now a new discipline called “Acoustic Archaeology.” Researchers in South America are taking part in new research that suggests that many ancient temples were designed to create “hallucinogenic” or mind altering echoes which actually did not sound like echoes but of actual or mythical animals and birds. There are temples where the echos really do produce the most otherworldly experiences and are said to be extremely frightening for some.

Philby

There are 416 Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales. Contrary to popular opinion each is an independent charity and relies on a range of grants, contracts and donations to survive. Over 21,000 volunteers work in the bureaux. Last year over 1.9 million people were provided with advice and support with over 6 million problems.

dan1980
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    ….
    Also, if you have a pacemaker, a 3T MR scanner can rip it out.

Can you show some evidence for this? Pacemakers are non-magnetic.

The reason you should stay out of a magnetic field if you’re fitted with one is that you can generate a current in the leads connecting the pacemaker to the heart as you move about in a field. This can cause a change in the generated heart beat, or heating of the wires leading to tissue damage.

smiffy

The UK nail bar industry is worth 6 billion quid.

RichS

The ‘stuff’ in between the layers of wafer in a kitkat is actually made of reject kitkat.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The CE marking on a product must be more than 5mm high.
    If it won’t fit, it must be on the packaging and accompanying documentation.

Breach of the WEEE Directive in Ireland can land you with up to a £10 million fine and ten-year jail terms.

steve_b77
    Free Member

All I can think of now is stuff that shouldn’t be said to the public about the London Underground network 😯

iDave
    Free Member

RichS storms into the lead….

RichS

thanks iDave

BadlyWiredDog

Nerve endings can detect the sensation of cold, but not wetness, hence you might think you have wet feet but in reality, they may just be freakin’ cold. Of course, they may actually be wet.

Stoner
    Free Member

The ‘stuff’ in between the layers of wafer in a kitkat is actually made of reject kitkat

how did they make the first kitkat then?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘Tell us something interesting from your work/speciality’ is closed to new replies.